Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I spent way more serious time in FFXI than I ever have wow. In FFXI I had a steady rotation of camping ground kings for 6-9 hours a day. Weekly sky, sea, whatever other HNM shit was going on, weekly Dynamis, and that pesky Dragon kill we for some reason did almost weekly. I loved the community of that game but honestly it was like working a full time job with mandatory overtime.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Punxi View Post
    Oh the days of sitting in Dragon's Aery waiting for Faf/Nid and all the old asura server drama being unleashed on KI, after going back a few times what ive noticed is the community is in shambles compared to pre-abyssea.. still a number of players alot of old ones returning aswell but the bonding via being rivals is all but gone. As stated by akuma they really did go to far with it, barely feels like you earn anything anymore granted stuff still takes time but compared its childsplay.
    I'm guessing this is punx lol I think you still played well after I came to WoW

indeed it is, hows you vind been awhile sir

10+ Year Old Account
    Not bad I came to WoW with Arkin, Wurl, Grendel, and Chilger. I'm the only one who still kinda sort of plays WoW. It's good to see an familiar name on these forums. How have things with you been?

ah the usual still chill around with alot of the old ktd folks on various games and/or fb couple of us are on wow again, we did go back to ffxi for a few months but for me it just wasnt the same and everyones real life taking a toll now lol, but thats derailing the thread from the topic that took up many years of our youth

I really liked the game, but I didn't get started til whatever expansion it was that came out after CoP. It was just before they cracked down on all the gold buying and stuff.

The reason I quit mainly was because I had so much stuff that needed to be done to just keep leveling ( got WHM into the mid 40's) and I couldn't find anyone ( not even my brother) who would help me get through all of the old Rank stuff, let alone Rise or the CoP stuff. Basically I reached a point where I had to be able to go to certain leveling area's that I couldn't access because of the problem above.

By that time as well, people had been playing for a while, and the attitudes could be very rough to deal with. I'm not sure how many times I got called bad for not having this or that teleport even though I was new. People didn't really believe anyone was new, and after explaining and talking to them they just didn't care. I was also coming up on the dreaded level lock mechanic they had, which never made much sense to begin with.

I basically ended up going to WoW because at least there I had friends that were just starting as well and we could help one another.

Was kind of temped to try this game(Mostly due to the franchise. Back then the Final Fantasy name still held some value for me. FF12 killed that sense of value for me.), but the prospect of leveling down upon death is a concept I find so hateful that I decided not to bother.

I could think of nothing more infuriating than making one wrong move and finding myself down 1 level. I also read that its a game that expects you to be grouped at all times to level up. The prospect of parking my ass in a city and spamming fora group not for a dungeon, but for the simple act of being able to level? No thank you.

This isn't something I'm too fussed about now, but back when I was a fan of the series (Mind you I don't dislike the older games), but I used to believe the mainlijne FF titles shouldn't have been an MMO, and that the MMO should have been its own thing (For example, like how Ultima Online was a separate thing to the proper Ultima games)
    Last edited by Icaras; 2013-03-29 at 12:38 PM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

So nobody has played the new classes yet?

I really loved this game and did all the end-game stuff but it really was more of a part to full time job compared to all the other MMOs that I have played. On top of this the return on time invested was ABYSMAL. You could go a month or two and not get a single new item with between 20-40 hours invested per week. Unless you had materials on hand or massive gold to do a quick crafting for an HQ there was always precious little to do if you had 10-15 mins of free time to play. Anything that was of any importance has a sizable time commitment to it. That's why I moved onto WoW when I got out of college and my time became far more restricted. Still though I'm soooooooooo tempted to try it just for a Geomaner, after 12 years I think I deserve to have my Vanadiel lifelong wishes come true.

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    So nobody has played the new classes yet?

I really loved this game and did all the end-game stuff but it really was more of a part to full time job compared to all the other MMOs that I have played. On top of this the return on time invested was ABYSMAL. You could go a month or two and not get a single new item with between 20-40 hours invested per week. Unless you had materials on hand or massive gold to do a quick crafting for an HQ there was always precious little to do if you had 10-15 mins of free time to play. Anything that was of any importance has a sizable time commitment to it. That's why I moved onto WoW when I got out of college and my time became far more restricted. Still though I'm soooooooooo tempted to try it just for a Geomaner, after 12 years I think I deserve to have my Vanadiel lifelong wishes come true.
    My brother was an FF online nut, and much like you he had to move on because he simply didn't have the time needed to get anything done anymore. He went back a little while back just to check it out and said that after playing more modern MMO games that he just can't do it anymore. Most of it was because, like you said, there was nothing that could be done in small chunks of time.

I used to laugh at him because back when I was playing SWG he was playing FF online on his Ps2. He would have his Xbox also hooked up so that he could have something else to do while he was waiting to get a group to go level. I would love to know how many hours he wasted just sitting there, it had to be in the hundreds of hours of literally doing nothing.

i went back almost 2 months ago. still loving it. new jobs are fun. i gotta start abyssea to lvl faster, though

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Me and a two of my friends tried FFXI a few years back and we got to about the 30s and quit. It was far too punishing to play trio when you needed to full group to exp...as well as the immense danger of dying super far out from a bind point. A lot of times I'd login and sit in a city with looking for group active and never get anything for hours. Just overall, the game felt clunky and slow to me and never really got into it. Still pretty amazed it's still pumping out an expansion soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I really liked the game, but I didn't get started til whatever expansion it was that came out after CoP. It was just before they cracked down on all the gold buying and stuff.

The reason I quit mainly was because I had so much stuff that needed to be done to just keep leveling ( got WHM into the mid 40's) and I couldn't find anyone ( not even my brother) who would help me get through all of the old Rank stuff, let alone Rise or the CoP stuff. Basically I reached a point where I had to be able to go to certain leveling area's that I couldn't access because of the problem above.

By that time as well, people had been playing for a while, and the attitudes could be very rough to deal with. I'm not sure how many times I got called bad for not having this or that teleport even though I was new. People didn't really believe anyone was new, and after explaining and talking to them they just didn't care. I was also coming up on the dreaded level lock mechanic they had, which never made much sense to begin with.

I basically ended up going to WoW because at least there I had friends that were just starting as well and we could help one another.
    You don't need any missions, regular, CoP, Zilart, or whatever, to level past 40. No one probably wanted to help you at the moment because you were trying to take on content that you weren't ready for, perhaps?

And yes, I'm aware that the CoP content was level capped at the time, doesn't change the fact that you don't need it to level. I got to 75 before I even touched CoP 2-5 or whichever one had the Mamet. Even the Airship was largely irrelevant if you were a WHM.

Anyone who thinks Vanilla WoW was hardcore should check out old school FFXI and HNMs/Sky/Dynamis alliances, haha.

I agree with Mukki, you were probably under leveled for what you wanted to do.

Home missions, most players stop at rank 5 because they got airship and nothing else was worth their time. I recall stopping at rank 6 myself on my old toon. Zilart was difficult because sometimes it'd take forever to do missions (Headstones anyone?) or gather players (Divine might [ARK ANGELS]). Also it did require a bit of skill, as did CoP which was unforgiving until you got to Sea.

The elitist or jerk attitude carries in every game. There'll always be stuck up 'elitist' players, it just comes with human nature: thinking you're better than the other person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I after reading this thread bought the new collection and have been playing the past few days. Man, a lot has changed the book thing is still kinda taken me by surprise I ran out to Valurm at 12 cause thats where we used to go and someone was kind enough to tell me no one really xp's out there anymore. I was really skeptical on the book burn thing it's effective but fairly boring I did get about 8 levels in like 2 hours. I forgot what a pain in the ass it is to make money in that game. I really wish I had not given my character's information away cause he was loaded and honestly the thought of putting that kind of time in to get my finances up and running scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I after reading this thread bought the new collection and have been playing the past few days. Man, a lot has changed the book thing is still kinda taken me by surprise I ran out to Valurm at 12 cause thats where we used to go and someone was kind enough to tell me no one really xp's out there anymore. I was really skeptical on the book burn thing it's effective but fairly boring I did get about 8 levels in like 2 hours. I forgot what a pain in the ass it is to make money in that game. I really wish I had not given my character's information away cause he was loaded and honestly the thought of putting that kind of time in to get my finances up and running scares me.

Sell voiddust (2k Conquest point). It goes for 25k a pop on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    You don't need any missions, regular, CoP, Zilart, or whatever, to level past 40. No one probably wanted to help you at the moment because you were trying to take on content that you weren't ready for, perhaps?

And yes, I'm aware that the CoP content was level capped at the time, doesn't change the fact that you don't need it to level. I got to 75 before I even touched CoP 2-5 or whichever one had the Mamet. Even the Airship was largely irrelevant if you were a WHM.

Anyone who thinks Vanilla WoW was hardcore should check out old school FFXI and HNMs/Sky/Dynamis alliances, haha.
    Yes you did, because 90% of the leveling areas had shifted to different locations, and if you didn't have them done you couldn't access those areas. One day out of every 10 or so I could get a group that was willing to go to the old locations, but by and far most were unwilling. It became especially a pain in the butt to get groups because half of it was having someone with the teleport spell to get you there and if you didn't have it they wouldn't even invite you. I think I made it to 45 or so before I just got frustrated with it. Was a shame to because it was just starting to get fun as far as abilities went.

And you are right, compared to FF online, Vanilla WoW was Candy land easy. Heck even getting Chocobo's unlocked was a massive time sink.

---------- Post added 2013-03-31 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    Heh I remember when 25k was like 1 silver on WoW. Hauby's going for 15-20 million lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    Noted thanks for the tip so much has changed in this game it's crazy

Oh well, decided to give the game another whirl, for the first time in about 3 years (aside from logging in once a year to see whether old friends were still around and such).

Haven't even touched Abyssea on the character, should be an entertaining grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Yes you did, because 90% of the leveling areas had shifted to different locations
    No, you didn't. No one leveled in any CoP area because they were all uniformly terrible in terms of monster placement. Even after the changes made over a year ago no one STILL levels in CoP areas.

Rise of Zilart required nothing more than Khazam keys to be done (and that's level 25-35) to level as everywhere beyond didn't need anything more than maybe an Outpost warp or the ability to ride a chocobo to get to. ToAU didn't even require that as everything was unlocked right from the get-go in terms of zones.

Back then the path was Valkurm Dunes (12 - 20) > Qufim Isle/Lower Delkfutt's Tower (18 - 25) > Yuhtunga Jungle (23 - 27) > Yhoator Jungle (25 - 34) > Crawlers' Nest (33 - 55) > Kuftal Tunnel/ToAU areas (50+).

You didn't need rank missions because they gave you nothing more than an airship pass (which, funnily enough, you can actually get to Khazam without having), RoZ missions were all 65+ and were endgame focused only, CoP was endgame focused only despite having bullshit level locked fights/zones, and ToAU was entirely endgame content.

So no, you're just making shit up.

That isn't to say that there weren't problems with leveling because there were, but being locked due to missions wasn't it. It boiled down to anything worth killing was in a "dungeon" and had a 16 minute respawn timer. Plus, there were very few mobs worth sitting down for a few hours to kill due to most monsters in the game having absolutely ridiculous TP moves. Then there's the fact that you'd have let's say 55-58 mobs mixed with 60-62 and it would throw everything off and just be a miserable time.

There's also the fact that some monsters changed over time and weren't worth killing anymore. Believe it or not, before Rise of Zilart was released it was extremely popular to level in Monastic Caverns and/or Davoi on the highest level orcs due to the fact that their TP moves are weak and they used to be really squishy. Tanaka didn't like everyone crowded around there so he ordered a 50% defense increase and nearly *triple* the health they had which rendered the camp not only less popular but flat out undesirable (i.e. this is Tanaka's MO and why I'm so glad the fucker's gone). Just realize that when the caps were raised from 50 to 55 and then to 60 before RoZ that there were only really a few places to reach those higher levels on original monsters, and simply due to sheer numbers of them the playerbase ended up having to migrate to Castle Zvahl to kill demons for those last 5-10 levels. And if you've ever fought demons in FFXI you know they have high health, defense, attack, swing fast and are fairly brutal for leveling purposes.

Hence why when RoZ was released with easier monsters to level on (crabs in Kuftal, Beetles in Quicksand, anything in Boyahda, etc.) those places were deserted ASAP. /themoreyouknow

@Shinzai Still the best damned belt in the game. Belated grats.
    Last edited by Viertel; 2013-04-02 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    @Shinzai Still the best damned belt in the game. Belated grats.
    Thanks. Spent an afternoon remacroing/scripting jobs and gear changes. Remind me to never delete all of my game and related files ever again.

I played for a little bit a long long time ago but it seemed that most levels and experience were gained by grinding mobs and I didn't find that particularly enjoyable. If there were quests they weren't easy to find. I think I played in 2004.

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I played for a little bit a long long time ago but it seemed that most levels and experience were gained by grinding mobs and I didn't find that particularly enjoyable. If there were quests they weren't easy to find. I think I played in 2004.
    Actually wondering if it's still like this, reading this thread got me thinking about trying it out again but not sure I want to bother downloading if it's still the same.