10+ Year Old Account

New Year = new goal?

It is that time of year that everyone makes new goals. What are yours?
    Sometimes stating it seems to get you started.

I will train like i have never trained for tough mudder and will get a fine ass in the process.
    Last edited by Osyrus; 2013-01-01 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend that you revise your goals so that they meet the following three criterias:
    * Short term
    * Well defined and precise
    * Answer the question: Exactly how?

The reason for this is that vague, long term goals that doesn't give any information about method, such as "I will get ready for Beach 2013", have a very, very large risk of failure. The key to success is, for most people and in most cases, to have a number of precise, short term goals which include methods. For example: "This week I will do a total of 150 pushups, 250 situps and jog for three hours." The next week, you set a new goal: "This week I will do 200 pushups, 350 situps and do four 30-minute intervals of swimming." That way, it's easy to keep your motivation, because you can choose to complete an entire goal in just a couple of days, or do a tiny bit each day and still feel like you're achieving something.

My goal is to not drink soda or eat candy for one month. I will do the same next month and the month after that, but I see those as different goals; if I do not drink soda or eat candy this month, I do regard that as a goal that I have accomplished - I do not regard it 1/12 of the way.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

To get to 65kg, be able to run a 10k by Christmas in under an hour & learn to play guitar properly - should be doable!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    New years resolutions are usually things that get broken after a few months.

My best recommendation is make small promises you know you can keep, instead of big flashy ones you realistically can't.

for example, I intend to try a new beer I haven't tried before, or get my alts to max level in wow. Nothing major.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I would recommend that you revise your goals so that they meet the following three criterias:
    * Short term
    * Well defined and precise
    * Answer the question: Exactly how?

The reason for this is that vague, long term goals that doesn't give any information about method, such as "I will get ready for Beach 2013", have a very, very large risk of failure. The key to success is, for most people and in most cases, to have a number of precise, short term goals which include methods. For example: "This week I will do a total of 150 pushups, 250 situps and jog for three hours." The next week, you set a new goal: "This week I will do 200 pushups, 350 situps and do four 30-minute intervals of swimming." That way, it's easy to keep your motivation, because you can choose to complete an entire goal in just a couple of days, or do a tiny bit each day and still feel like you're achieving something.

My goal is to not drink soda or eat candy for one month. I will do the same next month and the month after that, but I see those as different goals; if I do not drink soda or eat candy this month, I do regard that as a goal that I have accomplished - I do not regard it 1/12 of the way.
    lol sorry. im going to keep my training program to myself. i know my specific goal in regards to both aspects but i went with a more general goal here to keep some privacy on the interwebs =P

10+ Year Old Account
    I never asked you to publically reveal your exact training program, but since all I had to go on was a vague promise to train, I assumed that you had no training program yet and all I said and meant is that you should make one. Knowing now that you already have one - perfect!
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Deleted
    I am almost out of smokes. Will try my very best to not buy another pack. I will also keep staying away from alcohol. Already been a month since my last beer =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    I am almost out of smokes. Will try my very best to not buy another pack. I will also keep staying away from alcohol. Already been a month since my last beer =)
    Why wait until the new year to quit? I had my last cigarette back in September. If you really, really, want to quit, you need a new plan, not a new year.

Try this plan I used. Get the patch, and find a cessation class. They are the best things out there. Only about an hour a day, and it's really an eye opener about how there are so many benefits to quitting, and absolutely no benefits to continue smoking.

For any resolution, as much as I hate them, I suggest having a plan to get there. I want to potentially meet a girl I can have a relationship with, so my plan is to stop using my introversion as an excuse and actually talk to more people. I shudder at the thought.

Deleted
    I very rarely make new years resolutions and hardly ever stick to them but I have 3 or 4 this year that I actually really should put proper effort into.

Stop snacking: I'm terrible at this. Started a new job last year so I'm now office based but carried on my snacking habits. In short I've gained a pound or two that I really shouldn't have. It's all due to laziness and a bad habit and one i really need to break. I'm aiming to cut all refined sugar from my diet or as far as possible. I'm also going to try and drink considerably more water. I'm not going to go full out healthy mode just make some lifestyle changes.

Work on my fitness: Linked to the first one really. Being office based now my fitness has apparently vanished. I can walk miles but my capacity for running is shockingly bad. I'm not going to join a gym or anything silly like that. I just need to get more active and stop sitting on my ass so much.

Work on my Java Script skills: No real reason other than I want to. I can see it being useful in my job from time to time and it would be nice just to have a new skill to add to the list.

Be more organized: This ones kinda optional but I am the most untidy person if I don't make an effort. I can turn a perfectly tidy room into a scene from a disaster movie without trying. Its really a bad habit I need to kick and should be easy enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niteynite View Post
    Why wait until the new year to quit? I had my last cigarette back in September. If you really, really, want to quit, you need a new plan, not a new year.

Try this plan I used. Get the patch, and find a cessation class. They are the best things out there. Only about an hour a day, and it's really an eye opener about how there are so many benefits to quitting, and absolutely no benefits to continue smoking..
    Actually there are plenty of benefits, lying to yourself doesnt help. But there are also a lot of bad thing that come from smoking and you could get those benefits by other means.

For me they were possible weight gain from quitting and it actually did happen. It's usually (10th time or so, hope I can stay clear this time) only a little for me and easy to get rid of but for heavier smokers it could be bigger. Smoking is also a great stress reliever, works as a reward and used to be good in some social situations where people gather outside on a smoke break and usually talk too. Fortunately almost no one in places where I regularly visit, work, study etc smokes any more but Im not if its local.

So instead of lying, solve these or whatever yours are first and stick to the reasons why quit. Also, cold turkey works the best. Sure, you might feel bad for 1-2 weeks, depending on your addiction but then youre clean. Id really suggest not using any patches because even if you go back to smoking, you'll then know that you don't need nicotine and the bad feeling and cravings will go away on their own. Besides, it takes a lot longer with patches and you still need to fight the habit of lighting up.

OT: My new year plan is actually funny But I actually want to go to the beach this summer and swimming. I havent done it for years now.. because I feel really REALLY uncomfortable in a bikini. It feels like being naked and everyone is staring at me. At the moment, it's hard to understand how some women walk around like that even on the streets during summers. /shudders.

But it's stupid, I really miss swimming in the sea instead of some chlorine filled pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop snacking on weekdays.
    Work out as much as I can(lol)

Get a car that is no older than 2011 model and a drivers license.

and the post important one:
    Not give up the new years resolutions untill my birthday passes in April.

Already been working on mine.

Start Hapkido as a proper subbed member. Starting this January, first one time a week, building it up to two times a week in February. Already had a few classes.
    Lose at least 25% body weight.
    Work on myself.
    Become a total knock out.

Some other things depends on different outcomes, so can't really put those down yet.
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Actually there are plenty of benefits, lying to yourself doesnt help. But there are also a lot of bad thing that come from smoking and you could get those benefits by other means.

For me they were possible weight gain from quitting and it actually did happen. It's usually (10th time or so, hope I can stay clear this time) only a little for me and easy to get rid of but for heavier smokers it could be bigger. Smoking is also a great stress reliever, works as a reward and used to be good in some social situations where people gather outside on a smoke break and usually talk too. Fortunately almost no one in places where I regularly visit, work, study etc smokes any more but Im not if its local.

So instead of lying, solve these or whatever yours are first and stick to the reasons why quit. Also, cold turkey works the best. Sure, you might feel bad for 1-2 weeks, depending on your addiction but then youre clean. Id really suggest not using any patches because even if you go back to smoking, you'll then know that you don't need nicotine and the bad feeling and cravings will go away on their own. Besides, it takes a lot longer with patches and you still need to fight the habit of lighting up.

OT: My new year plan is actually funny But I actually want to go to the beach this summer and swimming. I havent done it for years now.. because I feel really REALLY uncomfortable in a bikini. It feels like being naked and everyone is staring at me. At the moment, it's hard to understand how some women walk around like that even on the streets during summers. /shudders.

But it's stupid, I really miss swimming in the sea instead of some chlorine filled pool.

Ok, You're kind of right. The cessation classes didn't make me lie to myself so much as convinced me that smoking has no benefits. But I think we can all agree, quitting is the much better option, all things considered. Patches and classes worked for me, so it's definitely something that is effective.

And you also don't have to wear something as revealing for the beach. One piece suits work just fine. And honestly, I'd rather have a chlorine filled pool than a sea that's filled with much worse things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
    and the post important one:
    Not give up the new years resolutions untill my birthday passes in April.
    Why should it stop there? That's why I always ask this: Why wait until the new year?

Deleted
    My goals, ranked in importance to me, for 2013 are:
    - Getting a good final grades mark
    - Building up more muscle weight and strengh so that I can do planchepushups and maybe nice handstands
    - Planting my own hemp and harvesting at least 7 ounces of buds

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    -Do better in school (on probation for slacking)
    -Shape up/eat right (actually started last month, goal is to stick to my plan.)

I succeeded last year by avoiding junk food!
    Last edited by Ave07; 2013-01-01 at 11:52 PM.

Deleted
    I don't get the whole concept of new year goals. Why do you need a new year to make your life better? Most of the time they fail anyway.

Deleted
    The time has come to quit smoking, together with my friends I shall succeed this time

Also finally going to ask the girl out I've had a crush on for a long time.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't normally do these kinds of things, but I've made an exception this time. It's to do something new every week that would scare me.