Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Should Sub Races be Added to the Game?

    Ok, so for many years we have had specific races created by blizzard that we can only change facial features, hair style / color, tatoos, ear rings and such. There have been many people who would like to play a race but as a "sub race" or in other words, races that tie closely with the race you choose.

    For example:

    If you want to play as a Tauren, you could either choose the normal Tauren, OR choose Tunka, or the new tauren like race in MoP. They would all have tauren racial skills but the look would be very different besides the basic build.

    If you want to play Night elf, you could choose High Elfs, Blood Elfs (a sub race who chose to align with the alliance, yet still has fel energies they have succumbed to).

    If you wanted to play Orc, you could choose the red skinned orcs from outland, etc etc.

    You get the idea.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    or asian and african humans?

  3. #3
    Can't see why this option hasn't been added yet; Maybe they will coincide with the alleged updated player models?

  4. #4
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    54
    i think people have wanted this for a long time and blizzard hears us but wont do anything about it, just like they hear us about 10man 25man lockouts

  5. #5
    Everyone will love that idea except for the people who have to pay them folks to make the models. The pending model updates will make it unlikely to happen since the sub-races won't look as good. However, it'd be awesome fun.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysius View Post
    or asian and african humans?
    That could work. You certainly can make black and asian people in SWTOR. Why not WoW?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 04:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSkull View Post
    Everyone will love that idea except for the people who have to pay them folks to make the models. The pending model updates will make it unlikely to happen since the sub-races won't look as good. However, it'd be awesome fun.
    Well sub races are already a part of the game. You see them in various forms throughout Azeroth as NPCs and such. It would be easy to just throw them into the character creation and give them as options.

  7. #7
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    54
    since when can you not makes a human black, brown, tan or pale?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    since when can you not makes a human black, brown, tan or pale?
    You can change skin color, but its not really a Black person when you make them black. Im talking racial features that stand out, like the frizzy hair, big noses and lips, etc. Each sub race of the other WoW races have distinguishing features that make them stand out.

    There are even fat male Humans and Female humans. The farmers in Farshire come to mind (right outside valence keep in Borean Tundra)

    Changing the weight and build of a character would be awesome too.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysius View Post
    or asian and african humans?
    But there's no Africa or Asia in Azeroth



    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSkull View Post
    Everyone will love that idea except for the people who have to pay them folks to make the models. The pending model updates will make it unlikely to happen since the sub-races won't look as good. However, it'd be awesome fun.
    I actually think it's more about lore quests etc. There's probably a lot of quests and text that suddenly make no sense if you're a Dark Iron Dwarve of Taunka... let alone having to explain why you're a lvl 1 taunka in Mulgore.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2013-01-02 at 04:57 PM.

  10. #10
    I would have loved to see Murlocks or Furblogs as a playable race instead of pandas

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    But there's no Africa or Asia in Azeroth
    You can still pick different skin tones for your character that represent actual human racial traits. (Though the optional faces are all indo-germanic)
    Edit: But I agree; a character creation set like SW:TOR would be nice... But it'd take a lot of work that the developers might not be interested in. Still; it'd be nice to have humans that aren't indo-germanic.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-01-02 at 04:57 PM.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    54
    they have said they will not let us chance the weight/height/build of the characters before, something about too much work and they need to spend more time on thinking of ways to make poor players suffer on the sidelines,

    but seriously if you want them to seriously consider making "black", as you so put it, features to characters maybe get a black person or three to stop playing basketball and buy a computer, see i can generalize black people too

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    they have said they will not let us chance the weight/height/build of the characters before, something about too much work and they need to spend more time on thinking of ways to make poor players suffer on the sidelines,

    but seriously if you want them to seriously consider making "black", as you so put it, features to characters maybe get a black person or three to stop playing basketball and buy a computer, see i can generalize black people too
    You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about me wanting different racial features / sub races added to the game. Its not just me, its everyone else who wants it too. Why is allowing someone to have the option of other racial features such as the examples I gave a bad thing?

  14. #14
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about me wanting different racial features / sub races added to the game. Its not just me, its everyone else who wants it too. Why is allowing someone to have the option of other racial features such as the examples I gave a bad thing?
    Because Azeroth isnt American there isnt a whole lot of diversity there. i think they can spend their time on anything other than making you feel better about not looking at a white person and it would be time well spent

  15. #15
    Stood in the Fire Shefu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    396
    They're taking forever to update the old models, you think they're gonna do this? But then they can design a mount or pet every other month which they can sell. Funny how resources work.

  16. #16
    I think it's a great idea. This might actually get implemented with the elusive new race models? Maybe?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about me wanting different racial features / sub races added to the game. Its not just me, its everyone else who wants it too. Why is allowing someone to have the option of other racial features such as the examples I gave a bad thing?
    The reason the character creator is limited is because of design philisophy. Samwise said it was to make the game less intimidating to newcomers to the MMO genre in so many words. They wanted the character creator to have variation while also not being too much to take in all at once.

    Ghostcrawler talked a bit about sub races a few months ago. It's something we know Blizzard has seriously considered doing, they were at the point of experimenting with just how they would do it, according to GC. Would they add special lore? Would they add content to unlock it? Stuff like that.

    In Cata's beta, for a few weeks they had Wildhammer tattoos available for dwarf player characters. I had a blue band tattoo'd across my dwarf shaman's eyes, and it was heavenly after so many years of wanting it. But the tattoos were linked to only 2 face options and could not change the skin color. It was rough, probably a dev experimenting. It was gone within a few weeks of beta but characters created with the tats got to keep them in beta.

    Lorewise we already have fel orcs in the Horde, mag'har orcs in the Horde, wildhammer and earthen and frostdwarves in the alliance. Most of this doesn't need new lore anymore.

    The model updates are as good of a time as any to see the options expanded so I'd say it's realistic to hope for now.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  18. #18
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,927
    Give me High Elves on the Alliance, damn it.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Because Azeroth isnt American there isnt a whole lot of diversity there. i think they can spend their time on anything other than making you feel better about not looking at a white person and it would be time well spent
    You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Azeroth has black and Asian people. There is plenty of diversity already in the game as it is. We have dark skinned human skin options and asian options already.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Because Azeroth isnt American there isnt a whole lot of diversity there. i think they can spend their time on anything other than making you feel better about not looking at a white person and it would be time well spent
    I disagree with you. There is a whole lot of diversity in Azeroth, hence the several races. I'm just wanting to expand on that diversity further with adding sub races to the game. Also for humans more racial features. Lets not make this a irl racial issue. I love all races, and would like to see that diversity in game as well for the human alliance race.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •