Deleted

Whats it like in finland *Suomi*

Hello guys this is for people who live there or been there,i have been interested in going to finland one day and perhaps living there.
    What is the country like to live in is it expensive/cheap? , hard to get work or easy to find work? how is the crime rate,the weather,and the finnish language education over there and also overall what is the government like.

P.S. whats the best way to learn finnish *at the moment* i cannot find one good website to help me, all i find is alot of travell phrases* and thats it.

Can I ask why you are interested in Finland?

Deleted
    Because i like the language,and the culture need i say more

Deleted
    Well finnish is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn. Even if you learn to speak it, pronounciation is another thing too, Its not like english at all.

Its cold in here in winter time , and warm in the summers, tough this can vary. Work finding depends on many things, some people find it easy, others rather hard, especially in this economical situation. It is a wellfare state tough like all nordic countries, so people can live even unemployed, not nicely, but they can live. Expect high taxes. Government is like in most other countries, squabbling, after self intrests and rarely listening the people. Crime rate i dont know, maybe theres statistics somewhere in the net you can find, but I can say it is definately lower than say in the US. We have stricter gun laws here for one.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2013-01-07 at 08:14 PM.

Deleted
    As the other preson said, finnish is a rather hard language to learn, depending on which language is your mother's tongue. If it's hungarian for example, it'll be easier than if it's english or german.
    The country has a great cuisine - if you like the scandinavian type of food. Alot of "laatikko" (casseroles). Finland's country-side (which is basically the whole country) is beautiful but mind you, in the winter it can get rather cold. -20 is not uncommon, and the further north you get, the colder it will be. Finns also like to argue that santa claus comes from there - which obviously is a big perk.
    Finland doesn't have as many immigrants as other countries, and the ones that are there are very well-integrated in the society. The finns are a very intoverted people and they love their sauna, koskis (koskenkorva vodka) and beer.

Deleted
    Question that came to mind in the winter how much daylight do you get lets say for example *in tampere* or oulu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undeadrock View Post
    Question that came to mind in the winter how much daylight do you get lets say for example *in tampere* or oulu.
    Well, let's say that in Tampere's general area it's not dark for about 6-7 hours per day. But you rarely see the sun during winter.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

P.S. whats the best way to learn finnish *at the moment* i cannot find one good website to help me, all i find is alot of travell phrases* and thats it.
    speaking to those who speak it as mothertongue

Deleted
    In Tampere mid-winter I would say the sun rises around 10 in the morning and starts setting at around 14:30. Oulu has less daylight because the further north you go, less daylight you get. Above the pole circle there are polar nights a few weeks a year (the sun doesn't rise). If you come from a country where you have long days even during the winter, this will affect you, more than you think.

Deleted
    Do the fins speak as much english as the rest of the northerners do ?

Deleted
    Hello guys this is for people who live there or been there,i have been interested in going to finland one day and perhaps living there.
    What is the country like to live in is it expensive/cheap? , hard to get work or easy to find work? how is the crime rate,the weather,and the finnish language education over there and also overall what is the government like.

Expensive/cheap huh? Need a comparison... I would say Finland is pretty expensive country. Work isn't easy to find, with the current economy. Crime rate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Finland
    Goverment is exceptionally stupid, but corruption is very rare. Finnish language is one of the most difficult; propably only polish is harder to learn. Best way to learn finnish is to get drunk and hang around drunken finns.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was there, the pubs let out in downtown Helsinki, and there were lines around the block with bouncers at the many many McDonalds.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    As an immigrant to Finland I can say that most people are nice to me, even though I'm not standard nordic stock. The language is difficult but I have a fantastic course in my hometown of Hyvinkää. Culturally speaking it's very close to what I'm used to but as that might just be because I'm dutch.

Winter time is really something which affects you more then you will ever know untill you've experienced it.

I personally found finding a job a bit hard mainly because most employers wanted perfect finnish, that is not to say I haven't worked at all, a lucky break here and there and I can at least hold my head up and say: 'I worked before I went to the language course.' Finns tend to appreciate you trying to speak finnish, but don't be surprised if they want to try out their english on you, which all will claim is 'very bad'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    We can speak english yes. Its common among the young and adults, tough some speak it with heavy accent because finnish pronounciation is unlike anything in english, its more like say japanese. Our education is rather good in this country. Older people probably rarely speak it tough, they will just look at you funny.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2013-01-07 at 08:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Yeah, we got good chances for education so most of the people (at least the young ones up to 30ish) should have better than avarage english when it comes to foreigners because you study it like for 6 years from age 10 to 16.

Deleted
    You didint tell where are you from? what is expensive depends pretty much on that ppl are nice to you, unless your from somalia? . I prefer you to check finland at mid-summer