Page 1 of 2
LastLast

im 26 and my knees hurt

over the past few months I've notices that my knees are aching. I don't spring out of my seat like I used to, and I'm terrified that it's only going to get worse.

I used to do a lot of heavy weightlifting, so I think it may be a part of the problem. I'm a tad overweight. At 6'2 I'm 250 lbs. I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm really wide and thick, and at 200 lbs i'm pretty much skin and bones.

Apart from getting my weight down, what can I do to preserve my knees for the long haul??

Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    over the past few months I've notices that my knees are aching. I don't spring out of my seat like I used to, and I'm terrified that it's only going to get worse.

I used to do a lot of heavy weightlifting, so I think it may be a part of the problem. I'm a tad overweight. At 6'2 I'm 250 lbs. I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm really wide and thick, and at 200 lbs i'm pretty much skin and bones.

Apart from getting my weight down, what can I do to preserve my knees for the long haul??
    I heard these are good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine
    Funny Bunny

Go see a doctor.

Seriously, I'm afraid you are not going to find the kind of individual-catered service a doctor will provide for you on a gaming forum.

Best of luck.

Also suck the bone marrow if you have meat on the bone. Don't throw away the marrow but eat it instead?
    Funny Bunny

Every 1 lb of weight is 4lbs on each knee, lose some weight. Fish oil keeps them "lubed" up for me, worth a shot if you arent already on it.

If your heavy lifting included squats, i would drop it.

I'm only repeating the other posts, but Glucosamine is good for joints, and go see a doctor, you can't get a proper answer here.

If you do exercise, I guess avoid running (at least on the road/hard surfaces) and cycle instead, or anything else low-impact.

But really, go to a doctor.

The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amat View Post
    If you do exercise, I guess avoid running (at least on the road/hard surfaces) and cycle instead, or anything else low-impact.
    My name is Rukentuts and I approve this message.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    If your heavy lifting included squats, i would drop it.
    Personally i wouldn't drop squats, knee pain when/after doing squats is a symptom of bad posture while doing em.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    Go see a doctor. Get a blood draw and an MRI of your knees.
    Knee problems are not uncommon among weightlifters, and most are treatable (even if it implies surgery). But it could also be arthritis, gout or some other thing, so go see a doctor.

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

Hmm, chart says you're obese, and loosing weight could only help your knees at this point.

Having family with much worser conditions than you'res I can understand what you go trough. Litterally 2 of my family members (70+) cant walk propor anymore, and other problems. They are simply woren out.

Personally I have what I like to call "Monday legs", witch is caused by sitting down to much. But hey thats just me, one must not forget physical activites. There are a reason why elderly people are getting execersise ordered to them by there doctor.

I defiantly would call a doctor. Could be you got an injury you dont know about? or you stressed you're knee's to much at one point.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    Hmm, chart says you're obese, and loosing weight could only help your knees at this point.
    thats the problem with BMI. doesn't factor in muscle mass and exceptionally large frames.

unfortunately I'm not sure that my knees are adjusted to my size, so I might as well consider myself obese for the sake of my knees =\

Mine hurt from abuse and repeated hits. Changing shoes helped a lot, also driopping 30-40 pounds made major differrence

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    My name is Rukentuts and I approve this message.
    ~Cycling in 2013~
    Outings: 0 | Distance: 0 mi | Time: 00:00:00 h:m:s

Cycling does magically make your knee's feel better. Full motion hits all the spots.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    ~Cycling in 2013~
    Outings: 0 | Distance: 0 mi | Time: 00:00:00 h:m:s

Cycling does magically make your knee's feel better. Full motion hits all the spots.
    You must have missed his last year's distance!
    Siegecrafter Blackfuse (25-N) testing is complete! Today's Wisdom:
    One man's Trash is another Man's Heroic Boss.

I'm 29 and my everything hurts. So if you think 26 is bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It isn't normal for 26 or 29 year old's body to hurt, even if you're overweight.
    You're still youngish, and I'd suggest you go to doctor to have it checked out.
    If you don't care about seeing a doctor, just try to do some stretches in the mornings - make sure not to over do it, it's better to do less than get hurt at this stage.
    If you can't do much, just do bare minimum - like lift your arms a couple of times - it is better than nothing.

Not trying to sound smug or anything but go see a doctor about it, it will probably be better than random advice on MMO-champ
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Like said before, I am in Boston this week and if you are the big man you claim to be, come visit me. I'll PM you the hotel and room number. Let's see if you are such a hero in real life too, like you claim to be.
    [WoT] WN8: 2,219 WR: 59% [WoT]

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Close to 31 here, last 2 years I really felt my body going out on me?

Do exercises that strengthen your leg muscles without putting stress on your joints.

An easy one is to sit on the floor with your back flat against the wall and your legs extended straight in front of you. Lift one leg up while keeping it straight and hold it there. Do several sets of that on each leg every day and eventually your legs will start bearing more of your weight instead of your knees.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*