Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Dear Disney please for the love of GOD take SWTOR from EA

I am not of the business minded area but i have been thinking. With the purchase of Lucasarts Lock Stock and Barrel...... can they take a HUGE and i mean HUGE sledgehammer to EA and make them give up this game.

My dream is this as it goes. all the major players at the start have all gone..... maybe just maybe in my dream at least, they approach Disney about taking SWTOR away from EA and doing things their way the RIGHT way(minus a few things we all did not like full VO im aimed at you)

with the original teqam they can make the game to their designs and reinvent this AWESOME game and get all of us true believers the game we wanted.

I know this is just one huge pipe dream but im just wishin upon a star( lol pun intended) that they take this game from EA (dont know if possible) and bring us the Star Wars we love to play.

end of dream srry i just had to get this out im to inlove with this game and dont want to stop playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    blah sorry
    Last edited by teebo; 2013-01-02 at 01:05 AM. Reason: blah
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    Im probably wrong but star wars=/= swtor. Disney and swtor have no ties.
    I am yet to have someone explain to me how control over the Star Wars IP wouldn't extend to swtor...

The best reasoning I've heard is that EA has swtor until their contact is up for renewal, much like how SOE had to renew for SWG and couldn't come to a deal so they lost it.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Swtor is on life support, and just being milked until no one plays it (which makes me sad because I really wanted it to do well.)

I doubt anyone taking over the game could save it at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just let it die and maybe Disney will use their boatload of cash to pay a developer to make a Star Wars MMO thats actually good!
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaxx View Post
    Swtor is on life support, and just being milked until no one plays it (which makes me sad because I really wanted it to do well.)

Sad indeed, I really loved the game but with all these F2P restrictions and watered down content and the so called "expansion" that looks like a content patch.. I just can't see myself enjoying the game anymore. Blame EA, then again they're a "business" and money comes first so..

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Just let it die and maybe Disney will use their boatload of cash to pay a developer to make a Star Wars MMO thats actually good!
    With how long the games take to develop and the rapid decline on SWTOR I doubt we will see another SW mmo ever. At the very least not in any sort of way we know mmo games now.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

People give Swtor alot of hate, but it's actually a good game. It just can't exist with wow. Too many people wouldnt play it because they looked at it as WoW's direct competition, and wow has sucked up most of the people that are interested in mmo's for the most part. Swtor on release was alot of fun. They put alot of work into it, and it showed. Disney could take it over and create the most stunning, incredible game ever created, and it still wouldn't have a shot.

If 120 million dollars wasn't enough money to make a good SW mmo then there will never be one.

edit: My point being that money wasn't the issue with swtor.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I am yet to have someone explain to me how control over the Star Wars IP wouldn't extend to swtor...

The best reasoning I've heard is that EA has swtor until their contact is up for renewal, much like how SOE had to renew for SWG and couldn't come to a deal so they lost it.
    You said it yourself, EA has a contract allowing them use of the IP (It was never theirs, they just have the right to use it so it really doesn't matter who actually owns it). Looking at how much money went into the game, I highly doubt the contract is anything less than 5-10 years.

This. Disney shouldn't care about getting and trying to fix a game that has a less than stellar reputation. Especially when they'd need to spend so much money to fix a lot of issues. They should just make their own game!

I think a new Lord of the rings mmo would be much more interesting than a new Swtor one, much more potential imo. Lotro would be one of the best MMOs if the combat was more modern and engaging + better graphics of course... and PvP.

But what would Disney do really, they're not game developers are they? Give the title to some other company?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

It had the potential. It was just released prematurely before any real QC had been done to find the boring, tedious bits and make them fun. Gamers can live with bugs, and they had the response time at the beginning to keep up with a lot of them. The real issue was that it was just... boring.

And Disney? There's nothing they could do that EA wouldn't have been able to. EA was probably the only name that could have done it right.
    Last edited by Prag; 2013-01-02 at 01:35 AM.

Disney has acquired lucasFILMS. That's it. Films. Only. Games are still not under their wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Disney has acquired lucasFILMS. That's it. Films. Only. Games are still not under their wing.
    If I'm not mistaken, LucasArts is a division of/owned by LucasFilms. And I remember reading in more than one place that it was part of the acquisition.

I doubt we'll see any changes in the short-term. I'm not sure the terms of the licensing agreement, but I'd be willing to bet EA has the rights for 5+ years, and it would take a pretty big breach in contract to have it revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaxx View Post

Yea, theres not much point in buying a game that's only a few twitches away from obscurity.

EA has crashed the game into a stale cash cow to be ever filled with cartel items and underwhelming expansions (that are at first advertised to be free but then every player, even subbed have to buy it to move ahead)

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post

Nope they bought everything, including Skywalker sound and ILM. Disney owns everything with the name Lucas on it but Lucas himself. The only thing he has left is a consulting job with the Star Wars franchise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    If 120 million dollars wasn't enough money to make a good SW mmo then there will never be one.

edit: My point being that money wasn't the issue with swtor.
    Not money well spent.

Frankly Bioware should never have made a MMO, they should have made KotOR 3. The story of the game actually is good for every class, if they had made a SP game involving all that with better graphics, superior gameplay etc then it could have been really good.

SW:ToR has been in my view a massive shambles. If I was Disney, I would just cut all ties and let the game die. It has been poorly developed and run, and I seriously doubt we'll see a come back!

Deleted
    Curious if OP would have similar childlike enthusiasm for a MMO centered around more traditional Disney concepts - like let's say black rodents with big ears. Rephrased: kindly remind me, what are their key competencies regarding online games?

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Curious if OP would have similar childlike enthusiasm for a MMO centered around more traditional Disney concepts - like let's say black rodents with big ears. Rephrased: kindly remind me, what are their key competencies regarding online games?
    Let's spin it around.

With all of Bioware/EA's resources and experience, what competencies did they display when developing SWTOR?

Rephrased for simplicity: What do they really stand to lose or mess up?