Deleted

Can't do factory reset, what else can I try?

Bought Novatech desktop last year with Windows 7 home edition pre-Installed. If I had Issues before, A-Simple f8 during start-up brought me to the whole factory cleansing menu.
    Upgraded to Win8 2/3 weeks ago, never took note that they've removed "F8" Function entirely, you might add "Use to discs that came when you purchased your D.T" Apparently they can't ship you these discs due to Win7 being pre-Installed, so they made-a big deal when you start up your computer for the first time to make-a back-up copy, which yeah silly me never did.

Doesn't Win8 have [Remove everything & re-Install option available In the Gen tab] ? Yeah It does, but when double clicking & going through the process, It says some files are missing, Insert disc, but /ehem I installed via Windows website, so I don't have-a physical copy of these discs, Just the product key.

Seemed like-a great Idea at the time but I Installed Win8 again (Already using It) I hoped It would put me onto that Installation & I can disk/frag and remove Windows.old but when going past the 100% and the restart, It gave-me a error message saying Windows could not update so we've put back your computer way back In time when It worked, I guess It attempted to put me on Win7 but as that was In .old department I cleared It out ages ago.

Appearance wise nothing changed, well It tried to resurrect the start bar (bottom left) but just looked like-a gray toolbar, I could still use Win8 functionality.

Downloaded some burn software because light bulb popped up and I assumed that I could just Install Win7 so I got the appropriate D/L link and copied/w.e to DVD+R disc (lucky I had-a few)
    Popped disc into disc tray, did the whole [Installing thing] selected keyboard layout and then It asked something about drivers, put In "Drivers" disc or something along those lines, I've got 3 discs at my disposal
    - Cyberlink BD Solution (Playback + Burning suite) - Intel 6-Series Utility DVD - Nvidia (Sparkle VGA Card/Driver & Utilities Installation CD )

I'm guessing Its the 3rd option right ? : ) If It Is, I could skip the factory reset question and just jump Into Win7 install & climb up the ladder of annoyance >.< Would of posted this on V.T Tech forums, but can't make threads yet : /
    Thanks In-advance ^.^

10+ Year Old Account
    Can do one of two things, prob ably at this point.

1) Contact Novatech and have them mail you a reset DVD, OS DVD, or OS ISO, reinstall 7, upgrade to 8
    2) Download a 7 iso from digitalriver, and hope your Novatech cd key works with OEM installer

[EDIT] You shouldnt need to install any drivers during the install. So... I dunno what you're doing there.

[EDIT2] Did you actually 'upgrade' to Windows 8, like use an upgrade install, or did you just install a clean copy of 8? How did you purchase it?
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-02 at 03:30 AM.

Deleted
    I'll answer E2 - I did the upgrade Install
    I'll attempt again with re-Installing 7 & see what pops up >.< It definitely asked something about Drivers, which lead me to beleave It wanted disc 3 >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc 3 is just the drivers for the video card. The fact that it was asking for drivers at all makes it sound like you did an install that didn't format, and was overwriting the old OS. Usually a 'meh' idea.

Deleted
    Ran the disc - Setup Is copying temp files - Setup Is starting
    Given two options, one Go online & get updates, so picked this one first, error given, could not Install files error code: 0x0
    Option 2 gives no Install so I picked that on my second attempt.
    Where do you want to Install? Displays System C & WinRE (F Picked C
    Now Its Installing Win

It goes through copying window files - When we get to expanding window files It'll go say past 40%? & It'll randomly restart, giving the restart screen It also closes down my apps then goes through the re-boot process.
    After loading operating system I'm given Windows setup - Below Win8 selecting Win setup gives me-a lovely blue screen tech fault
    Tech Fault - *** Stop:0x0000007B (0XFFFFF880009A9928, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000 )

So I restarted & pressed whichever F key that got me into Boot manager & selected Win setup [EMS Enabled] Black screen white writing + box at bottom loading win files, after that's done takes me to Win7 Installation asking for Language/Time/keyboard layout, once picked I can than Install like I did before but on my desktop, and this time there are no visible drivers, they were visible when going through the process on Win8 so I sighed and used disc 3 which your correct, didn't do anything lol.
    So did re-boot and select Windows 8 and now I'm here with-a annoying headache :'(

My advice is not to use win 8 at all. It's Vista quality, probably even worse than Vista.

Deleted
    It's not "that" bad once you know where everything Is, It was rather weird not having the start menu, but once you learn the shortcuts It's a nice tiled addition.
    Though currently, I'd rather book my DT Into IT Consultant & have someone who knows what he's/she's doing lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    My advice is not to use win 8 at all. It's Vista quality, probably even worse than Vista.
    Please elaborate on "Vista quality".
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Sort of a .. misunderstanding.

Vista was terrible. From driver support, to making the x64 jump, to stability issues. People generally hated Vista, and Microsoft felt the pain from it.

Windows 8 on the other hand, as an OS, isn't terrible. However the jump to the new "Metro" UI, as well as some other ridiculous glaring mistakes they made in interface choices and design, people hate it as well. And Microsoft is feeling the pain. The source of the ire is from two completely different standpoints, however the result is the same. People don't like it.

On to the real problem.

It'll randomly restart, giving the restart screen It also closes down my apps then goes through the re-boot process.
    What? Apps? Are you trying to overwrite Win8 with Win7, while in Win8? That's what it sounds like. Stop the train, and reboot. You need to specifically boot from the Win7 CD, and wipe the C drive (you will lose everything, but I'm under the impression you already have at this point). And Reinstall a clean Win7.

Where do you want to Install? Displays System C & WinRE
    That there makes it sound like the restore partition is still available.
    Humor me, and power up the system, and mash F8 and see what happens. That should get you to an option that gets you to the restore options. I'm wondering if you just didn't hit it at the right time.

If only people understood that Win8 and the UI is so easy to remove. I hope for MS to give you an option to choose the start button of old instead of metro. Win8 would increase sales by alot. People don't like big changes, they want a small evolution from version to version, when will they learn?

As said, just re-install win7 and do the upgrade again.

Deleted
    Win8 Is functional still, I'll say what happens when disc is popped In, When I use disk with-in Win8 It can see my System C & WinRe F - It would just restart when I get-to a certain point when Its expanding window files, so as the computer restarts I press any key to boot disc, booting disc It just won't comprehend that I've got System C & Winre F :@
    It wants a media disc to find/detect them, I can't grasp the Idiocy why when on OS win8 knows I have these 2

I read it twice but I am unsure what you meant. But if you got your computer booting from disc first, try not pressing any buttons and let the program run it's course. Do you have the upgrade version? Try doing a clean install and then upgrade win8 to win8, this is a workaround that works for most known installation bugs, which Win8 has a couple of, especially when installing it a second time on a formatted HDD.

Anyone who's used Vista from a technical standpoint understand the blatantly moronic design decisions and lack of effort towards making it a useful OS beyond the 'home basic' user. Microsoft might as well have just not made Vista, as a great many people stuck with XP until Win 7 came out and fixed most of the glaring problems Vista had. The same thing is going to happen with Win 8 as most people end up sticking with Win 7 until the next version of Windows comes out after Win 8.

It's a 'Vista quality' issue because it's glaringly obvious they put as little thought and effort into Win 8 as they did with Vista.

10+ Year Old Account
    Functional but broken. You NEED to reinstall Win7, either a clean install, or using the restore dvd (which you dont have, yet).

Once Win7 is installed, you can upgrade to Win8.

Right now you are trying to reinstall Win8 over Win8. This wont work because A) An upgrade wont work because its damaged, and B) A clean install wont work because it's an upgrade version.

Just do the clean install with 7, and upgrade to 8.