Poll: Do you think B2P till wotlk would be a good thing?

Blizzard should offer B2P wotlk

Like a few other people I have outgrown competitive end-game MMOs. However every now and then I won't mind being able to log into wow and play around a bit. I currently do this on a private server. Blizzard should offer up to wotlk for F2P even if people need to buy the game, there should be no sub needed to play till wotlk. If executed properly, this can be a very good change for wow:

* Blizz can make it so only the low pop servers are available for B2P. This would inject a lot of player activity into these dying realms.

* This would mean that the content never really goes out-of-date, people who sub will have the two latest expacs and those who do not think they will play enough to justify a sub still get to play.

* Having more players would make the world feel full again, especially at lower levels.

* A lot of work went into places like ulduar, kara, BT, sunwell etc. Allowing upto wotlk for B2P would mean that this content gets used more.

* One can safely assume that the odds of a person resubbing increase a fair bit if they are already playing the game.

* The B2P model should ideally be same as the GW2 B2P model. Let people enjoy the game, let them have whatever is available for their level but still give them option to buy things that do not offer competitive advantage of any form.

* The B2P accounts can be subject to more strict rules in terms of bans for spamming/other activity that inconveniences other players. For instance, a single goldspam from a B2P account should be straight account ban, no appeals.

* Hold back on QoL features such as LFR, LFD, cross-realm grouping etc but allow players to find people on their own server to dungeon/raid etc with.

I think such a move could do a lot fo good for the game. Do you think B2P till wotlk would be a good thing?

WotLK would be pre-Cata (and what a wonderful time that was), so Blizzard would have to maintain, update, and support two different versions of the same game. As much as I loved that old content, I would rather they devote their full resources to new content and fixing what's broken in the main game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    WotLK would be pre-Cata (and what a wonderful time that was), so Blizzard would have to maintain, update, and support two different versions of the same game. As much as I loved that old content, I would rather they devote their full resources to new content and fixing what's broken in the main game.
    he isn't saying that the game would be identical as back than, and they already do maintain and support that content and update if needed due to many players always starting/leveling new toons. he is basically saying that they shouldnt have to pay the monthly fee till they upgrade their account with cata and mop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    and if the game is the same game as it is now but with a lv 80 cap for a F2P option, it would not be fun. while raiding naxx at 80 anyone doing 3k DPS was good ( for the level I was at, at the time) but now I see people ( including my alts) doing 4-5k at lv 74+ so by the time we hit 80, we would be facerolling our way through ICC in greens

Deleted
    Bring this up again when they are below 1m subs maybe.

up to level 20 is free. That is plenty without having to pay. No need for a B2P option as well.
    Worlds do not feel unpopulated when leveling, well not for me but my server is quite full, and I see that I get paired with low pop servers in CRZ.
    Dividing up the community even more could never be a good thing.
    If you want to play at level 60/70 whatever cap your XP there, there is a feature in game for that, and a few guilds dedicated to those levels.

Maybe if they are financially struggling, but why on earth would they from a business standpoint offer incentive not to subscribe? If anything they would loose some subs and its quite honestly a stupid idea(for business, idgaf about freeloaders who think it would be 'fun' for them to play old content for free) hence why they have not done it yet.

All points bought up by OP are easily shot down. Stick to your private servers.

I think 1 - 60 should be F2P and then subs for 60 - 90s, but that's just me.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

thats what 7 day trial is for. if it was f2p people would just level like 10 alts to lvl 80 then buy the game, wich would mean alot of load on the servers with no income

Quote Originally Posted by Archermit View Post
    and if the game is the same game as it is now but with a lv 80 cap for a F2P option, it would not be fun. while raiding naxx at 80 anyone doing 3k DPS was good ( for the level I was at, at the time) but now I see people ( including my alts) doing 4-5k at lv 74+ so by the time we hit 80, we would be facerolling our way through ICC in greens
    I do not think you can classify fun like you are trying to. Your argument is perhaps valid for you and maybe another few folks but is it certainly does not apply to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagobha View Post
    thats what 7 day trial is for. if it was f2p people would just level like 10 alts to lvl 80 then buy the game, wich would mean alot of load on the servers with no income
    There is no 7 day trial.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    I do not think you can classify fun like you are trying to. Your argument is perhaps valid for you and maybe another few folks but is it certainly does not apply to all.
    Here, here. I wouldn't mind raiding 80 stuff at 80 with the MoP package. Those talents and specs, would be fun to blow shit up.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

I'm going to go with 'no.'
    The Wrath of the Lich King game is still accessible. You can play it on normal Blizzard servers as it is, though you'd have to play with MoP talents and such, and you can opt to use a private server like you are doing right now. There is no good reason for Blizzard to contemplate spending more for something that's already available to you.

I loved Wrath, don't get me wrong, but the game has to evolve in order to keep going. And, again, you can play Wrath on privately owned servers (though, for reasons of legality, I should probably say that you have to legally own copies of WoW, BC and WotLK so that you have legally procured the rights to play the game, just in case a Mod would want to infract me for advocating something illegal).

Not too happy with it either, but hey. To be honest, I'd rather pay a fee and play on a Blizzard server than play on a private server and behold the poor self-control of the people in charge. In my experience, private servers are a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by scamander View Post
    Bring this up again when they are below 1m subs maybe.

up to level 20 is free. That is plenty without having to pay. No need for a B2P option as well.
    Worlds do not feel unpopulated when leveling, well not for me but my server is quite full, and I see that I get paired with low pop servers in CRZ.
    Dividing up the community even more could never be a good thing.
    If you want to play at level 60/70 whatever cap your XP there, there is a feature in game for that, and a few guilds dedicated to those levels.

Maybe if they are financially struggling, but why on earth would they from a business standpoint offer incentive not to subscribe? If anything they would loose some subs and its quite honestly a stupid idea(for business, idgaf about freeloaders who think it would be 'fun' for them to play old content for free) hence why they have not done it yet.

All points bought up by OP are easily shot down. Stick to your private servers.
    Your use of word 'freeloaders' shows that you attach a lot of prestige to paying 15 $ a month to a gaming company. You make compelling arguments too.

I think such a move could do a lot fo good for the game. Do you think B2P till wotlk would be a good thing?
    There are many popular private servers, which are near identical to official WotLK. Blizzard missed their opportunity.

However, though doubtfully it will ever be done, it would be interesting to have official WotLK-limited server with server part provided, as 1 time purchase. Server part of WoW drastically changed after WotLK, so it wouldn't really matter for Blizzard, but for fans of older WoW, it would be great to have WoW preserved 1:1.

Deleted
    Your use of word 'freeloaders' shows that you attach a lot of prestige to paying 15 $ a month to a gaming company. You make compelling arguments too.
    dam its 2013 now, cant you make enough gold yet to buy subs with? 0.o 30k a month, which is like 1k a day, done in no time. Paid like 2 months of the annual pass with £££ instead of gold.

Have to say, I would be proud to pay them every penny if the gold method was not so easy. Would be less inclined to though if I had the option of going free even at wotlk only. Would prob stop paying myself, and im sure a good few would follow suit.