Like a few other people I have outgrown competitive end-game MMOs. However every now and then I won't mind being able to log into wow and play around a bit. I currently do this on a private server. Blizzard should offer up to wotlk for F2P even if people need to buy the game, there should be no sub needed to play till wotlk. If executed properly, this can be a very good change for wow:
* Blizz can make it so only the low pop servers are available for B2P. This would inject a lot of player activity into these dying realms.
* This would mean that the content never really goes out-of-date, people who sub will have the two latest expacs and those who do not think they will play enough to justify a sub still get to play.
* Having more players would make the world feel full again, especially at lower levels.
* A lot of work went into places like ulduar, kara, BT, sunwell etc. Allowing upto wotlk for B2P would mean that this content gets used more.
* One can safely assume that the odds of a person resubbing increase a fair bit if they are already playing the game.
* The B2P model should ideally be same as the GW2 B2P model. Let people enjoy the game, let them have whatever is available for their level but still give them option to buy things that do not offer competitive advantage of any form.
* The B2P accounts can be subject to more strict rules in terms of bans for spamming/other activity that inconveniences other players. For instance, a single goldspam from a B2P account should be straight account ban, no appeals.
* Hold back on QoL features such as LFR, LFD, cross-realm grouping etc but allow players to find people on their own server to dungeon/raid etc with.
I think such a move could do a lot fo good for the game. Do you think B2P till wotlk would be a good thing?