[PvP] State of Balance?

Hello. I was thinking of comming back to wow for the pvp aspect. Used to play boomkin late wrath / Early Cata. Wasnt too pretty then. Im just wondering if anything has changed? Are we glad viable etc? Are we still the RBG king?

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Hello. I was thinking of comming back to wow for the pvp aspect. Used to play boomkin late wrath / Early Cata. Wasnt too pretty then. Im just wondering if anything has changed? Are we glad viable etc? Are we still the RBG king?
    Viable, I find I am better against casters. Unless you get a good symbiosis ability (warlock mostly) you will just get absolutely smashed by melee that know what they are doing. My cleave damage with incarnation/nature's vigil and celestial alignment is intimidating tho. Outside of that we are very cast heavy, not that it matters if melee is able to truck you down. If you can survive melee opening burst you can beat anyone :P, but I find we lack defenses outside of symbiosis lock ability and would like to see survival instincts passed on to boomkins with maybe the lock ability being slightly less damage reduction (i hate to rely on symbiosis for this) but keep the uninteruptable part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by halfawake View Post
    Viable, I find I am better against casters. Unless you get a good symbiosis ability (warlock mostly) you will just get absolutely smashed by melee that know what they are doing. My cleave damage with incarnation/nature's vigil and celestial alignment is intimidating tho. Outside of that we are very cast heavy, not that it matters if melee is able to truck you down. If you can survive melee opening burst you can beat anyone :P, but I find we lack defenses outside of symbiosis lock ability and would like to see survival instincts passed on to boomkins with maybe the lock ability being slightly less damage reduction (i hate to rely on symbiosis for this) but keep the uninteruptable part of it.

Thanks for the info! I just saw swifty's boomkin dueling vid. And he is dominating warriors 1v1. Using Heart of the Wild in bear form to pretty much just tank their dmg aswell as doing pretty good dmg back. Not sure how this works in arena though :/

Also. Is it too late in this season to go serious? Only got honor gear atm, and most others have full conquest, even t2 and so on :/

Deleted
    you can still do good in pvp with out to much gear. boomkin is still really good in rbg dot shooting stars . and arena as you said you can tank most peoples burst with HotW and you got a good amount of cc aswell as burst which is important in arena atm.

so all in all a solite state for boomkins atm.

It's not to late to get some gear but it will be hard to compete with people that have full malevolent plus upgrades on that malevolent gear. You will probably have a better time in 3's. Running double dps in 2's is tough as I said against melee (I haven't tried hotw bear/heal that sounds like a great option vs people that want to blow you up :P) Anyway, try it out man... it's still just a game... have some fun and see if it's the right class for you. I find it amazingly versatile in bg's and good in arena with the right partner. It's a shame nature's vigil is getting nerfed ,feral burst is absolutely insane compared to ours, we actually have to cast unless shooting stars procs, but I'll admit that when starsurge crits and I have everything up I can hit upwards of a 150k+ crit, but given that it's a proc and has a smallish chance to crit I don't think it was OP. Woulda been nice (might not be too late since its still on ptr)if they had found a way to only affect feral (resto isn't amazing either and it isn't exactly a buff for them)... Also sad to see displacer beast getting nerfed, it's pretty great and losing the stealth part of it kinda kills the purpose of it... Still I have a great time as a moonkin, so hopefully the nerfs don't change things too much.
    Last edited by halfawake; 2013-01-03 at 09:31 AM.

pvp system is a pretty big mess atm. you're never going to catch people that are already full epic geared and upgrading now. so you will always have a gear disadvantage, which is quite a terrible design imo.

i don't think boomkins are that great in arena. your burst requires a lot of hard casting, and is kinda easy to avoid tbh. in BGs and RBGs though, you can sit back and dot everything and unload starsurges left and right. it's not particularly engaging gameplay.