Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW chewing up up to 1250 MB of dedicated video memory @1920X1080 ULTRA

So, I was playing around with EVGA's Precision software. As you can see in the image below, WoW managed to chew up to 1250 MB of video memory of my Gigabyte NIVIDIA GTX 580 Super Overclock's 1.5 GB.

I wonder if anyone has seen WoW chewing up more dedicated video memory than that at resolutions of 2560X1440 or 2560X1600.

Looks like that 1.5 GB of video memory is BARELY adequate even for an ancient game such as WoW with a retarded graphics/video engine.

P.S: My FPS is capped @57. Absolutely no reason to go over 60 FPS.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7484/clipboard02qk.jpg

EDIT: The maximum video memory I have seen WoW chew up is 1275 MB in the same settings, i.e. 1920X1080 ULTRA.

Mod Edit: Thumbnail large images please. Read the rules.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-01-01 at 03:44 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    No WoW just maximises the vram usage on dx11 mode. Why would you want it not to, GDDR5 is much faster than your system memory. If you have 1GB is uses about 800/900MB. Free system/vram memory is a bad thing. That means some other form of memory is used, probably a slower kind. I wished more utilities would use RAM/VRAM more instead of relying on a slow HDD/SSD (Yes ssd, it's still much slower than system memory).

And to give a perfect example of where this goes horribly wrong: Diablo3. Only way to play this game stutterfree is making a RAMdisk. Because it just flatout refuses to use systemRAM.

Also, windowed with Aero theme uses up a bit of vram aswell.

PS: Wtf on the sig man.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-01-01 at 12:22 PM.

Deleted
    im more curious as to how and why of the undervolting for less performance? (undervolting for more performance is more fun imo, as my cpu signature can show xD)
    also why not fullscreen native monitor resolution? (seems you got a 1200p?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    So, I was playing around with EVGA's Precision software. As you can see in the image below, WoW managed to chew up to 1250 MB of video memory of my Gigabyte NIVIDIA GTX 580 Super Overclock's 1.5 GB.

I wonder if anyone has seen WoW chewing up more dedicated video memory than that at resolutions of 2560X1440 or 2560X1600.

Looks like that 1.5 GB of video memory is BARELY adequate even for an ancient game such as WoW with a retarded graphics/video engine.

P.S: My FPS is capped @57. Absolutely no reason to go over 60 FPS.

EDIT: The maximum video memory I have seen WoW chew up is 1275 MB in the same settings, i.e. 1920X1080 ULTRA.

The more that can fit into your GPU RAM, the better it is because it means you arent going to get things like micro stutters while the RAM is flushed and textures are loaded from your hard drive.

WoW has a HUGE library of textures, way more than alot of modern games. That is what your GPU RAM is being used for.

Also, plenty of reason to go over 60 frames per second. Get a 120hz monitor, play at a solid 120 fps and you will see major improvements in fluidity. It's utter horse that the eyes cant detect more than 60 fps, there is a World of difference.

If there was such a thing (maybe there is, i dont know), i would bet most people could easily tell the difference between 120 hz @ 120 fps and 240 hz @ 240 fps. I know i would be able to.

60 hz @ 60 fps looks horrible compared to higher, something i would never go back to now unless i had no choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    how do u run at 60 fps with that setup >.< it stutters like mad for me and I have I5-2500k OC @ 4.2, and a 560ti + 4gb of DDR3 .... if i go into pandaria with ultra settings I basically need to restart the game and change the settings from the menu...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    how do u run at 60 fps with that setup >.< it stutters like mad for me and I have I5-2500k OC @ 4.2, and a 560ti + 4gb of DDR3 .... if i go into pandaria with ultra settings I basically need to restart the game and change the settings from the menu...
    You lack the necessary GPU power. My GTX670 hits about 85% gpu load ultra1080p (frames limited to 60fps, so that's why no 99%).

Also, plenty of reason to go over 60 frames per second. Get a 120hz monitor, play at a solid 120 fps and you will see major improvements in fluidity. It's utter horse that the eyes cant detect more than 60 fps, there is a World of difference.
    In his case, probably having a 60hz monitor, there is indeed no reason to go over 60.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-01-01 at 12:38 PM.

Deleted
    Although the game engine may look somewhat out of date these days, there are actually a lot of relatively high resolution textures and they get loaded into video memory when you enter a zone. It's not the case that 1.5GB is barely adequate, WoW is simply making use of as much video memory as it can do to reduce the need to page textures out of secondary storage when flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    You lack the necessary GPU power. My GTX670 hits about 85% gpu load ultra1080p (frames limited to 60fps, so that's why no 99%).
    Would be inclined to disagree.

My i7 2600k + GTX 560ti runs WoW World at over 60 fps with many places capping to my 120 fps vsync @ 1080p ultra (although i do turn shadows down just 1 notch). I dont even manually overclock it, i use intel turbo boost

25 man raid combat performance is between 40 fps and 80 fps depending on the stuff flying around.

I am particularly good at keeping PC's optimised though, having been PC gaming for over 20 years.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 12:46 PM ----------

In his case, probably having a 60hz monitor, there is indeed no reason to go over 60.
    Although a minor point, but going over 60 fps does actually have its benefits on a 60 hz monitor. Missed frames can happen from GPU to monitor due to syncronising.

If you turn v-sync off, the more fps your GPU pushes out and the less likely to see screen tear you will get.

If you turn v-sync on, you get worse input lag and micro stuttering due to frames being lost through the buffering process.

Regardless of your monitor's hz, more frames per second from your GPU will grant you a (minor) smoother experience.
    Last edited by howdydiddlydoo; 2013-01-01 at 12:46 PM.

Deleted
    Sorry, but the OP's screenshot is not using 'Ultra Mode' settings.

Just look at the lack of vegetation, and low quality shadows. Compare it to this screen shot that I took in the same location using full 'Ultra' settings, it is much more detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I got i7 860 @ 2.8, GF 550Ti - none of them are OC, and 8GB DDR3. I have no issues ever, at all (all ultra - only shadows are on low, since I dislike them otherwise). Might wanna check your windows... lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    I got i7 860 @ 2.8, GF 550Ti - none of them are OC, and 8GB DDR3. I have no issues ever, at all (all ultra - only shadows are on low, since I dislike them otherwise). Might wanna check your windows... lol.
    You have no issues, but that doesn't mean you hit over 60 or over 30 even. "Having no issues" is really not any sort of benchmark.

You have no issues, but that doesn't mean you hit over 60 or over 30 even. "Having no issues" is really not any sort of benchmark.
    Yeah sure, I dont. Sometimes it drops to 30 (usually 35-60), but he clearly wrote it fucks up and has to restart the game. So yeah, no issues.

Something is broke on your rig, most ive seen my card use is 750mb with wow, i also play 1080p ultra.

Deleted
    always fun that the definition of ultra varies that much from person to person. (once you touch any settings in the ultra pre-set it is no longer ultra imo)
    the OP is questionable at best any chance for full list of settings ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive noticed really bad Fps drops in some of the new Zones, Usually the main zone with the new city, similar to when dalaran would drop you.

Wow can and always has sucked up every bit of hardware it can, to even watch a youtube video same time is a pain.

First you right click the video hit settings and uncheck hardware acceleration.

Otherwise wow will run at 10fps and less.

P.S You should un cap your frame rate unless you see tearing.

And Gigabyte i really don't like them.

WoW and all smart games uses every available bit of video memory to store textures while game is running.

95% of the time when you load a new level in some braindead first person shooter is spent on loading and decompressing textures, WoW just does it ahead of time loading all nearby zones in advance just in case it's needed. That's why WoW has fully seamless world unlike some retarded games that has come out recently (GW2 /cough) that forces loading breaks everywhere.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    im more curious as to how and why of the undervolting for less performance? (undervolting for more performance is more fun imo, as my cpu signature can show xD)
    also why not fullscreen native monitor resolution? (seems you got a 1200p?)
    I undervolt and underclock b/c I want to save power. It's my way to help the environment.

The power that is saved is really insignificant, unfortunately. For instance, my GPU runs always on GREEN mode, i.e. underclocked and undervolted, and yet I have only saved just 7KWhr of power on it since October 23, 2012, when I upgraded my Gigabyte OC Guru software. My PC is on for 10-12 hours per day. The CPU power savings are even smaller. I have just saved 3KWhr of power from my CPU since Oct 23, 2012.

Because I like to experiment with my hardware, I found that in WoW at least, there is no discernible performance gain no matter how much I overclock my CPU or my GPU, so I resorted to running the CPU underclocked and undervolted most of time. I play at ULTRA 1920X1080, and I am able to fully enjoy the game with no stuttering, slows or freezes, even with my CPU running at stock speeds.

I do have a -moderate- OC profile ready (3.5 GHz) just in case, but so far I just haven't found the need to use it. WoW is so old, that even my 5 year-old CPU is able to run it just fine at stock at 1920X1080 ULTRA. IMHO, overclocking your Ivy or Sandy Bridge CPU to play WoW, is a waste of money, time, power and heat.

Also, my Philips HDTV supports up to 1080p, 1920X1080 max resolution. No 1200p unfortunately.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Ive noticed really bad Fps drops in some of the new Zones, Usually the main zone with the new city, similar to when dalaran would drop you.

Wow can and always has sucked up every bit of hardware it can, to even watch a youtube video same time is a pain.

First you right click the video hit settings and uncheck hardware acceleration.

Otherwise wow will run at 10fps and less.

P.S You should un cap your frame rate unless you see tearing.

And Gigabyte i really don't like them.
    Haven't noticed bad fps in the new zones. At all. I just did a check on that youtube claim so I opened a 1080p video lengths between 3-6 minutes in Opera, IE and Chrome at the same time as I was running WoW in windowed mode with everything maxed. Didn't happen to me. Still having 78-91fps

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    always fun that the definition of ultra varies that much from person to person. (once you touch any settings in the ultra pre-set it is no longer ultra imo)
    the OP is questionable at best any chance for full list of settings ?
    Here you are. 1 FPS difference due to rain.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6...board01cgt.jpg

(Inb4 Photoshop)

Please link to large images (i.e. >800px wide) instead of embedding them, or embed a thumbnail instead ~ Synthaxx
    Last edited by Chronalis; 2013-01-01 at 04:37 PM.

Deleted
    I undervolt and underclock b/c I want to save power. It's my way to help the environment.

The power that is saved is really insignificant, unfortunately. For instance, my GPU runs always on GREEN mode, i.e. underclocked and undervolted, and yet I have only saved just 7KWhr of power on it since October 23, 2012, when I upgraded my Gigabyte OC Guru software. My PC is on for 10-12 hours per day. The CPU power savings are even smaller. I have just saved 3KWhr of power from my CPU since Oct 23, 2012.

Because I like to experiment with my hardware, I found that in WoW at least, there is no discernible performance gain no matter how much I overclock my CPU or my GPU, so I resorted to running the CPU underclocked and undervolted most of time. I play at ULTRA 1920X1080, and I am able to fully enjoy the game with no stuttering, slows or freezes, even with my CPU running at stock speeds.

I do have a -moderate- OC profile ready (3.5 GHz) just in case, but so far I just haven't found the need to use it. WoW is so old, that even my 5 year-old CPU is able to run it just fine at stock at 1920X1080 ULTRA. IMHO, overclocking your Ivy or Sandy Bridge CPU to play WoW, is a waste of money, time, power and heat.

Also, my Philips HDTV supports up to 1080p, 1920X1080 max resolution. No 1200p unfortunately.
    why no fullscreen then?
    also in regards to oc'ing in general why would one have multiple profiles for different programs when you can just have a performance one? (switching bios settings between programs would be inpractical at best)
    personally i find the idea of saving power good, but your way does not seem to be on the efficient kind of scale even if everyone on mmo-c would do so.
    i'm just getting the idea you're doing this to be different wether that is the case or not is not relavent.
    but threads in the past kinda support my thought
    in general most people usually have more and not need it instead of lack it when they actually needed it.

edit : at settings i'd say it isn't full ultra but nonetheless it is a very nice feat to have achieved performance wise with the hardware settings.
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-01-01 at 01:38 PM.