Page 1 of 13
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    PSA: US not as dangerous as the fear mongers want you to believe

    With all of the recent discussion about violence and guns in America, I just want to encourage people to understand the data. It needs to be put in perspective. The politicians and media thrive on your fear. Don't buy into it. Understand the facts in the proper context and then debate. This isn't to say problems don't exist, but they are greatly exaggerated by the thought controllers.


  2. #2
    But but but all we americans are evil gun toting bible thumping rednecks...

    right?

  3. #3
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Scotland/England/Wherever
    Posts
    279
    Per capita, yes.

  4. #4
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,725
    Because the fbi is totally unbiased and fair.

  5. #5
    Pit Lord Templar 331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    But but but all we americans are evil gun toting bible thumping rednecks...

    right?
    Sure seems like it in my neck of the woods. :/
    P.J. O'Rourke quote: "The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."

  6. #6
    As I told a buddy of mine "if other nations all think the USA is violent and we all have guns, why the fuck can't they be nicer when they come here?"

    (but then I deal with a lot of tourists and most of them suck)

  7. #7
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    11,565
    Coming from Russia and having been to more than a dozen other countries, I can easily say that the US really isn't that bad at all.

    Oh, and most American tourists really aren't that bad; I think it's a mix of American travelers wanting to break out of the stereotype that most tourists do have, and the fact that few of the ignorant Americans are going to willingly set foot in Russia.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-01-01 at 03:36 AM.
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

    General Off-Topic Forum Moderator
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

  8. #8
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,134
    dont listen to the thought controllers, listen to random guy on the internet!

  9. #9
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Posts
    17,118
    overall crime has gone down since the early 90s at an astronomical rate

    want to know why?

    College became more accessible to much more people (although this is changing) *people who commit crimes tend to be younger, college keeps them busy after high school*
    drug usage has gone down *especially on harder drugs*
    gang violence is down which is related to the drug usage drop. *less sales*

    and a few other reasons

    btw since the early 90s a few more gun restrictions :\

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Happy Hunting! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  10. #10
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Coming from Russia and having been to more than a dozen other countries, I can easily say that the US really isn't that bad at all.
    Coming from Denmark i can say that i would probably find all other countries dangerous.

    Norway: Bears
    Sweden: Mooses
    USA: Guns
    Russia: Drunk Russians
    Finland: Fins with knives
    Australia: Everything
    Italy: Volcanos and the mob
    Switzerland: Avalanches

    I think i would feel safe in New Zealand if it wasnt so damn close to Australia and I fear spiders developing wings!

  11. #11
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Posts
    17,118
    the issue now is not crimes

    its how we compare to the rest of the world

    10k+ a year die to guns in the u.s
    it was like 40 per European country and other developed nations

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Happy Hunting! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  12. #12

  13. #13
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Posts
    17,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Coming from Denmark i can say that i would probably find all other countries dangerous.

    Norway: Bears
    Sweden: Mooses
    USA: Guns
    Russia: Drunk Russians
    Finland: Fins with knives
    Australia: Everything
    Italy: Volcanos and the mob
    Switzerland: Avalanches

    I think i would feel safe in New Zealand if it wasnt so damn close to Australia and I fear spiders developing wings!

    had to be done

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Happy Hunting! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  14. #14
    Stood in the Fire Gum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    401
    Guns dont kill people. people do. Can i have American gun laws in Denmark so i can protect myself soon? Please? pretty tired of people destroying my property because whatever shit annoyed them leftwing activists last. Keep going US, keep going!

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Because the fbi is totally unbiased and fair.
    FBI is official and non-profit as well as non-partisan

    Your denial of reality is exactly that.
    "It woudl be funny as hell if the abodinal snoawman walk in the background" -Confucius

  16. #16
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Guns dont kill people. people do. Can i have American gun laws in Denmark so i can protect myself soon? Please? pretty tired of people destroying my property because whatever shit annoyed them leftwing activists last. Keep going US, keep going!
    Its not like the right wing wants guns either.

    Nor would our laws allow you to fire said gun without repercussions in many instances.

  17. #17
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Scotland/England/Wherever
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Guns dont kill people. people do. Can i have American gun laws in Denmark so i can protect myself soon? Please? pretty tired of people destroying my property because whatever shit annoyed them leftwing activists last. Keep going US, keep going!
    Weird, you have the same self defence law as we do in the UK. If someone fucks with you, you can fuck with them if they're on your property. No need for guns whatsoever, just keep a crowbar handy.

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    dont listen to the thought controllers, listen to random guy on the internet!
    No, listen to the objective facts he presented.
    "It woudl be funny as hell if the abodinal snoawman walk in the background" -Confucius

  19. #19
    Banned Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    16,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    With all of the recent discussion about violence and guns in America, I just want to encourage people to understand the data. It needs to be put in perspective. The politicians and media thrive on your fear. Don't buy into it. Understand the facts in the proper context and then debate. This isn't to say problems don't exist, but they are greatly exaggerated by the thought controllers.

    Your politicians have an easier time controling you when you live at "threat level x" even if as obscure as gun control.
    Intelligence agencies, the army, politicians, all of them profit from you being scared. More funding, less questions asked.
    Nowhere else is it present, should ring a bell.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-01-01 at 03:53 AM.

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Coming from Russia and having been to more than a dozen other countries, I can easily say that the US really isn't that bad at all.

    Oh, and most American tourists really aren't that bad; I think it's a mix of American travelers wanting to break out of the stereotype that most tourists do have, and the fact that few of the ignorant Americans are going to willingly set foot in Russia.
    The stereotype comes from somewhere and the "USA rules and u suck!!" people exist, but they are a minority and are the most common target of satire here.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 03:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    overall crime has gone down since the early 90s at an astronomical rate

    want to know why?

    College became more accessible to much more people (although this is changing) *people who commit crimes tend to be younger, college keeps them busy after high school*
    drug usage has gone down *especially on harder drugs*
    gang violence is down which is related to the drug usage drop. *less sales*

    and a few other reasons

    btw since the early 90s a few more gun restrictions :\
    Gun ownership has risen though. I doubt it has a correlation at all. Most crime is done because of economic reasons.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 03:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Coming from Denmark i can say that i would probably find all other countries dangerous.

    Norway: Bears
    Sweden: Mooses
    USA: Guns
    Russia: Drunk Russians
    Finland: Fins with knives
    Australia: Everything
    Italy: Volcanos and the mob
    Switzerland: Avalanches

    I think i would feel safe in New Zealand if it wasnt so damn close to Australia and I fear spiders developing wings!
    Britain: Birmingham Chavs
    "It woudl be funny as hell if the abodinal snoawman walk in the background" -Confucius

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •