Thread: AoE Damage

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal Laernis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    50

    Smile AoE Damage

    I play Balance, but I find it difficult controling my AoE damage, and I don't think my rotation is meeting my character's potential. I was just wondering if anyone could offer some tips.

  2. #2
    You offer no log and no explanation of how ur currently doing, how do you expect us to help you besides what's already written on the balance guide?

  3. #3
    Hurricane while in an eclipse... That's our AoE rotation for 5+ mobs.

  4. #4
    it just sucks don't even bother hurricane if theres literally no mobs to single target down i guess

  5. #5
    I've found dotting everything up and dumping star surges FAR out weighs hurricane spam.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Liax View Post
    I've found dotting everything up and dumping star surges FAR out weighs hurricane spam.
    On 5+ mobs it doesn't. You'll pull 100k+ DPS on that many mobs and the amount of time it'd take you to double dot both targets + use starsurges won't compare. At least that's what I've found. Sadly it sucks that our AoE is hurricane spam but I've found it's the most damage. =/

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BolognaAndCheese View Post
    Hurricane while in an eclipse... That's our AoE rotation for 5+ mobs.
    That only works until Nature's Grace runs out.

  8. #8
    I had some ridiculous formula for determining when Hurricane was better than Multi-DOTing, it's lost since they took down the Beta Classes forum on the official website. 3+ targets and Hurricane spam was better given you could viably Hurricane those 3+ targets*. Multi-DOT + SS weaving should be better at ~4 targets whom will be alive for an extended period of time. If 5 or more targets are clumped up, then Hurricane spam is effectively more damage (barring Celestial Alignment + SS weaving).

    * factored Lunar Shower, Nature's Grace, TimeToDeath, and GCDs used. (based on a 25k SP, 45% Eclipse build iirc). it was a fairly real formula.

    While Hurricane spam is boring as hell, it's better than Multi-DOTing + SS weaving in most cases this tier. N:Wind Lord = Hurricane spam; Will/Emperor = Multi-DOT + SS weaving. Hurricane doesn't have much potential, for extra damage, when compared to SS weaving. However, Hurricane is guaranteed damage which doesn't rely on RNG (Crit). In addition, SS weaving has a fairly long ramp up time before it's truly an SS spamfest. But it will almost never compare to Hurricane spam in the long run, given the proper number of stacked targets.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyous View Post
    I had some ridiculous formula for determining when Hurricane was better than Multi-DOTing, it's lost since they took down the Beta Classes forum on the official website. 3+ targets and Hurricane spam was better given you could viably Hurricane those 3+ targets*. Multi-DOT + SS weaving should be better at ~4 targets whom will be alive for an extended period of time. If 5 or more targets are clumped up, then Hurricane spam is effectively more damage (barring Celestial Alignment + SS weaving).

    * factored Lunar Shower, Nature's Grace, TimeToDeath, and GCDs used. (based on a 25k SP, 45% Eclipse build iirc). it was a fairly real formula.

    While Hurricane spam is boring as hell, it's better than Multi-DOTing + SS weaving in most cases this tier. N:Wind Lord = Hurricane spam; Will/Emperor = Multi-DOT + SS weaving. Hurricane doesn't have much potential, for extra damage, when compared to SS weaving. However, Hurricane is guaranteed damage which doesn't rely on RNG (Crit). In addition, SS weaving has a fairly long ramp up time before it's truly an SS spamfest. But it will almost never compare to Hurricane spam in the long run, given the proper number of stacked targets.
    Nice! And since you mentioned it can someone post the proper AoE/rotation for Windlord normal? Start with normal Inc+NV+Lunar etc and go Solar for aoe or start Solar and use cds accordingly while spamming Hurricane?

  10. #10
    i would oom spamming hurricane on normal windlord though

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Nice! And since you mentioned it can someone post the proper AoE/rotation for Windlord normal? Start with normal Inc+NV+Lunar etc and go Solar for aoe or start Solar and use cds accordingly while spamming Hurricane?
    For normal, what I would do is as follows:
    75 pre Lunar
    Starfall(1) + pre-potion
    Astral Storm until Starfall(1) fades.
    Starfall(2) when Starfall(1) fades.
    Astral Storm for 5sec
    **Celestial Alignment** (lining up Potion(15sec duration) + CA)
    Multi-DOT + SS Weaving (use Starfall(3) as well)
    **CA Ends**
    Starsurge into Solar Eclipse (you'll be flooded with SS procs)
    Inc+NV -> Hurricane spam, after the majority of your DOTs start falling off (meaning: KEEP SPAMMING STARSURGE, don't leave Solar Eclipse though)

    Innervate yourself around 70% mana while AOE'ing. And you shouldn't go oom.

  12. #12
    hurricane spamming on windlord is terrible for effective dps. you're better off multi-doting the adds that are supposed to die next any let other classes worry about cleavng.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by BolognaAndCheese View Post
    hurricane spamming on windlord is terrible for effective dps. you're better off multi-doting the adds that are supposed to die next any let other classes worry about cleavng.
    It's all effective, they're going to die either way. It all depends on how many mobs are left.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BolognaAndCheese View Post
    hurricane spamming on windlord is terrible for effective dps. you're better off multi-doting the adds that are supposed to die next any let other classes worry about cleavng.
    On Heroic that may be true, depending on your tactic. On normal, it definitely isn't, since all of them have to die anyway.

  15. #15
    Even on Heroic Wind Lord, I can only see Hurricane being more effective when all of the mobs are up (usually only at the start). Wind Lord should die in 4 or less casts of Recklessness. If one or more sets of adds is/are down, then chances are there aren't more than 4 targets to dps. Thus you should multi-DoT and hardcast.

    Our job in Wind Lord is doing absurd damage to Mel'Jarak during Recklessness and all Cooldowns should be saved for this time.

  16. #16
    seriously dont even aoe let aoe classes aoe just multidot 3 targets and hardcast. be useful. even on windlord.

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...8/?s=714&e=972

    rank 33 not a single hurricane cast

  17. #17
    hurricane all the way on windlord #yoloswag! lazy tactic and most dips

    mmmm


    but if your guild need to get 3 specific down first asap then yes, you should probably multidot and hardcast, otherwise have fun with the best rotation ever on that fight. hurricane and rape the shit out of the boss when the recklessness begins!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    seriously dont even aoe let aoe classes aoe just multidot 3 targets and hardcast. be useful. even on windlord.

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...8/?s=714&e=972

    rank 33 not a single hurricane cast
    Yeah. Because it's Heroic. And no one is suggesting Normal mode strategies work for Heroic mode in this situation.

    Normal = hurricane spamfest
    Heroic = save your CDs for Recklessness

    Doesn't really matter what you do for Heroic, so long as you burst on the boss when needed. Hurricane is easier than Multi-DOT + SS weaving either way, especially when you need to cycle through "wasteful" targets.

  19. #19
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,158
    Multi dot + SS weaving is definitely preferred for heroic since you can focus your SS procs on whatever happens to get lower first from aoe. But I can also tell you that pre Recklessness I have done both Hurricane spam and multi dotting and neither led to any kind of noticeable difference in DPS. In fact I some bad RNG and got trapped/corrosive resin a few times each so spamming Hurricane was slightly worse of the two.

    On paper I would believe if it you told me Hurricaning was higher DPS than multi dotting and SSing with 6 targets like the WLM fight,but it's not high enough to write home about. With any movement expect I will almost choose the latter if the targets are going to live for an extended period of time. It would take 10 or more targets for me to cave and just spam Hurricane. P2 Sha I prefer to use Hurricane on the last few waves of adds once I have gotten Sunfire on them all.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyous View Post
    Yeah. Because it's Heroic. And no one is suggesting Normal mode strategies work for Heroic mode in this situation.

    Normal = hurricane spamfest
    Heroic = save your CDs for Recklessness

    Doesn't really matter what you do for Heroic, so long as you burst on the boss when needed. Hurricane is easier than Multi-DOT + SS weaving either way, especially when you need to cycle through "wasteful" targets.

    are you implying that you still tab target in 2013?

    also, even on normal, there's a priority order for killing adds. Yes, I suppose you can just AOE them all down and be fine, or you can not play your class like a retard and kill, say, the amber trappers first and increase raid dps. Besides, hurricane isn't even fun. Its a boring spell and they should have never nerfed mushrooms.

    straight aoe from everyone kills the adds at different times anyways, because of the shared health pools. on normal, where you want them to all die at the same time, its better damage to put yourself on a particular set of adds. if you want to be useful multidot 3 adds and boss.
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-01-07 at 07:42 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •