10+ Year Old Account

Sacred Shield PVE

Hi,

I recently picked up Paladin tanking again after an absence of almost 2 years. I've read a coupleof guides and all sounds fine except for the Sacred Shield thingy. As i understoodit should be cast right before a boss pull. It lasts 20 seconds and provides damage mitigation. My question is when it needs to be refreshed and why?

Thanks a lot guys.
    Raissmo - Feral Druid - Turalyon EU

It scales with vengeance, try and find your vengeance peak point and refresh it at that moment for max benefits

Lasts 30 seconds, is improved by haste and attack power, and should be kept up at all times. It is a damage absorb that scales with how much damage you take (through vengeance), and the only cost is the global cooldown to cast it.

Sacred shield works like a heal over time except for the heal is an absorb shield. When you put it up on someone they will after 6 seconds have two buffs displayed. One for the basic spell which lasts 30 seconds and is more of an indication that the spell is active on the target and the other is the absorb bubble that pops up every 6 seconds. That's why it's better to wait 6 seconds after you put on the buff to agro the boss because thats when the first tick (first shield absorb) pops up. The time between absorb bubble pops decreases as stated above based on your attack power and haste. This affects the second buff I mentioned above. The first basic spell buff indicator will always last 30 seconds regardless. With enough AP and haste, you have a chance to get the time between ticks down to 5 seconds giving you an additional tick for a total of 6 ticks in the 30 second time interval. I'm unclear on what the actual break point values are. You can probably find an add-on to track it.
    Last edited by monikasun88; 2013-01-02 at 05:41 PM.

You want near enough 100% uptime, ideally having it replace something like Holy Wrath in your priority when its low on duration, but provided its not replacing a HP gen ability then it doesn't really matter

you want to place it up as you are buffing/calling for the pull so the first hit is absorbed. after that just try to keep it up when you have high vengeance. you can get some insane absorbs if your good at it, i had a 60k runing absorb on me in MSV last night. It is a life saver.

Quote Originally Posted by monikasun88 View Post
    Sacred shield works like a heal over time except for the heal is an absorb shield. When you put it up on someone they will after 6 seconds have two buffs displayed. One for the basic spell which lasts 30 seconds and is more of an indication that the spell is active on the target and the other is the absorb bubble that pops up every 6 seconds. That's why it's better to wait 6 seconds after you put on the buff to agro the boss because thats when the first tick (first shield absorb) pops up. The time between absorb bubble pops decreases as stated above based on your attack power and haste. This affects the second buff I mentioned above. The first basic spell buff indicator will always last 30 seconds regardless. With enough AP and haste, you have a chance to get the time between ticks down to 5 seconds giving you an additional tick for a total of 6 ticks in the 30 second time interval. I'm unclear on what the actual break point values are. You can probably find an add-on to track it.
    Pretty much spot on, but you get the first buff (30sec duration @ 0% haste) on cast, and the second buff (the actual shield, duration 6.0 sec @ 0% haste) 6 sec later. That second buff is refreshed every 6 sec (modified by haste).

As a prot, you should always be using Seal of Insight for tanking, and using it will give you 10% haste by default. This alone is enough to net you 1 extra tick of SS per cast. Each subsequent 20% of haste (10, 30, 50%) will provide an additional tick of the shield. Values between these breakpoints will reduce the cooldown between shield applications (from 6.0 sec to ~5 sec). This, coupled with how our HoPo generators scale with haste by reducing their cooldowns (and GCDs in 5.2), and how SoI procs on melee attacks contribute to make haste a delicious stat for prot paladins. As for application, you should aim for 100% uptime, and refreshing the SS earlier (rather than letting it fall off) is preferred. Use it when you have a hole in your rotation (or would be using a non-HoPo ability, i.e. consecrate/HW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    This is more then i had hoped for. Thanks a lot biys and girls. This helped me a lot.
    Raissmo - Feral Druid - Turalyon EU