Poll: What was the best raiding era?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgarn View Post
    What cracks me up is that of all my friends who started playing in vanilla or during BC, NO ONE of them have made a single complaint about the dailys being "grindy".
    Some other fellas who started in wotlk or cata on the other hand, my god do they cry about them...
    I started in BC, and hate with a passion the daily quests.

For me, it was very close between WotlK and BC, I think BC progression system was better (for the hardcore anyways), but WotlK raids were better (lore, complexity, hard modes, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

My vote is for TBC. I didn't start raiding seriously until WotLK, but the modest raid content I saw in TBC was the best by far.
    Raids were far better integrated into the larger game in TBC than they were in any of the later xpacs, and that's another thing I really liked.

WOTLK

before raiding was only for the hardcores in cata

and before my entire server decided to quit in MoP

I liked TBC, because everything was a challenge. One difficulty, you either manned up and worked hard and got into a respectable or decent raid guild by becoming better, or you just farmed Karazhan for an entire expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    MoP hands down. Thruout the expantions raiding evolved quit well. It isn't perfect yet, however, for someone who likes a good challenge but don't want to devote whole life towards raiding, MoP is perfect. Also there is content for even more people than ever.

TBC and Vanilla were my least favourite due to most specs being broken and raid progression model being extremly exhausting if people in your guild kept quitting the game. Constant need of gearing up new players who mostly would quit the game anyway was so discouraging - and this happened also if the guild was mass recruiting. A raid and guild leader nightmare...

Well dunno which one was truly best, but one I had most fun was Vanilla and TBC.

TBC, when it still felt like you accomplished something when you downed a boss without having to go through 2-3 easier iterations first. Also, when specs had their own niches and identity rather than just doing exactly the same thing but with some different spells. Also, the bosses were legendary due to the huge amount of story to them (Kael'tas, Magtheridon, Vashj, Zul'jin, Illidan and Kil'jaeden). And let's not forget Karazhan which is just a huge and awesome raid where you slowly worked your way up the tower.

And almost forgot: the last expansion without recycling content. Naxx 2.0 was a complete and utter joke, and I'm not even gonna get started on Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath. Only because I wanted to kick Arthas's ass so bad after WCIII and TFT.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC for sure for me, great fights, good balance of trash to bosses ( maybe just slightly trash heavy, but at least it wasn't an pull aoe fest like everything is now. )

Kara was great and it only continued from there, gave raiders a warm up and nice social start ( 10 man's are just more social ) then pushed into it's full raids where it got serious.

I enjoyed some of WotLK and Ulduar i think was my favorite instance overall, the Lawleasymode Naxx (original naxx was so good ^_^ ) started the xpack of terribly which just lead to flooding the raiding pool with terrible raiders which caused guild quantity to balloon and quality to plummet. Though WotLK definitely had the best storytelling while leveling, but since this is all about the raiding, can't really count that.

WoTLK and BC for different reasons (mostly due to change of guilds). I didn't really enjoy the ToC aspect of WoTLK, but everything else was done really well in that expansion.

I'd say Wotlk for me personally. If you look at content itself there were two really well done raids (Icc and Ulduar). Both of which were the largest single raids at 12/13 bosses per, along with two "meh" raids. Naxx was really fun, I didn't raid when I played back in vanilla so everything was new. The only negative about naxx was how undertuned it was. But given that it led up to ulduar I'm fine with that. Toc I see as a bridge between Ulduar and ICC as naxx was between BC and Ulduar. Decent content that was enjoyable but nothing too engaging.

Just for arguments sake to say what I'm saying wotlk raiding was superior to, is all of BC and first tier of Cata. As for comparing it to MoP I'd say without a doubt MoP will be #1 if the new raids come remotely close to this tier.

Deleted
    TBC was the best era imo. Raiding still was something special like in classic, but without much of its flaws. I still remember nearly every bosskill. As a raider you always had the acomplishment to see things casuals didn't see. I remember selling cleared BT or SWP IDs to people just so they can run through the instance.

Karazhan was great even when people had already cleared Black Temple. ZA-Timeruns always were worth it. The whole raiding-system was different... when you hit Levle 70 with an alt you first did Karazhan, Gruul, then ZA, etc even when SWP was already released. Oh man, what happened to you my old friend?

Classic was great too, so much good memories. But i personally never noticed a big difference between 40 and 25man.

Wotlk could have been great with Ulduar and ICC which were some of the best instances ever, but the T7 Content and TotC also were some of the worst instances. Raiding 10man AND 25man was great though!

Cataclysm... i don't know. T11 wasn't really bad but not good either. Firelands was good but it was followed by Dragon Soul which is the worst Instance until today. Also LFR was the beginning of the end of raiding imo.

MoP... it started quite good but now i think its garbage. MV is okay, but HoF+Terrace are boring as hell. Everybody is doing LFR but its just dogshit.

TBC > Classic >= WotLK > Cataclysm > MoP

Nothing will ever replace SSC and TK greatest tier ever.

Cataclysm was the worst expansion ever. I played for a while, but Rogue was massively underperforming and I couldn't get a raid spot, so I quit and went to play WOTLK private server.

During Cataclysm days, the biggest WOTLK Private server had 3000 people queue during peak hours. This shows just how much Cata failed, I think in every possible level. I don't think they did ANYTHING right in CATA.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Obvious answer is obvious.

WotLK.

Deleted
    BC wasn't that good, people who say BC probably started raiding then (good memories).
    Best raiding era was WOTLK/early Cata.
    WOTLK Ulduar/ICC and in Cata the whole T11 was awesome..

Deleted
    WOTLK got my vote, had it's up and downs, but so did the others. Would go for cata as 2nd best coz of Firelands.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC was the best Imo

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Burning Crusade... Nothing... absolutely nothing will ever beat that raiding experience. Sucks for those who weren't high end or didn't play then, they missed out on the golden days of WoW.
    I just recently watched our first kill of Illidan in BT .... I was OMG that fight took 25 minutes (and it was a flawless fight , everything went like clockwork) . BC for me was the tip of the iceberg , afterwards it all went downhill .

Deleted
    I did not raid enough in TBC to get a good opinion for that expansion so I had to vote for WOTLK. Cataclysm and MoP hasnt been that good, maybe to early to judge MoP though.