Receiving black screens while gaming.

Dear everybody,

I don't have a lot of knowledge about PC's and hardware. So please try to explain this Tech 101 style to me.
    Recently on my pc running Windows XP, I received frequent Black Screens while playing. This accord in Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2 hell even Tropico 4.

So I tried re-installing my pc to Win7 but the problem is still here.

Now, I am wondering. Could this be my videocard? I tried lowering down my graphics but the problem still accord.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    Installed RAM Memory: 4GB
    64bit system
    Video Card: nVidia GTX550 Ti

My Video Card driver is recently updated, not sure if my other drivers are up-to-date. Anyone got a legit/fast way to check and update these?

What can be the problem? When I google the issue I see many posts talking about nVidia Video Cards, so I have a feeling it's outdated or the quality isn't just that good.

I use my Logitech G19 to performance my CPU, and when the black screen accord the CPU's weren't maxing.

If there is anything I need to provide for more information, please let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had something similar. It's probably your graphic card overheating. It's a factory SOC version, isn't it? I had it with a 560ti Gigabyte SOC Card

I ran a utility called GPU tweak and slowed down the Core by 15mhz, set the fan to run at max and the problem went away.

I'm now running a 660ti and have no issues with it, fortunately.

I think some of these SOC versions of the card are pushed past the limit and cause these issues. I also had that "driver recovered" error. When I did the GPUTweak fix, it all came right. Slowing the core down 15~20MHz is hardly noticeable, however. If it is under warranty, take the card back.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-01-02 at 10:22 PM.

Well yeah, but how can I know for sure?
    And better, what can I do against it? Do I need to replace it or is there something else I can do.

Deleted
    I get a similar problem, every so often while gaming I get a black screen for a few seconds. Afterwards it continues as normal and I have a small popup on the task bar saying 'nVidia driver xxx.xx has crashed but managed to recover'

I've tried reinstalling drivers ect, but this problem has persisted through multiple hardware upgrades and no idea what's causing it

Mine's not even recovering, it just repeats a 1 second sound from the game and then shuts down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Well yeah, but how can I know for sure?
    And better, what can I do against it? Do I need to replace it or is there something else I can do.
    Remove the graphics card and see if the problem still occurs. If not you know that is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Mine's not even recovering, it just repeats a 1 second sound from the game and then shuts down.
    While I have no sollution to your problem, I had the same issue with my laptop. What was my issue was my graphics card overheating from me having my hand placed on the laptop during gaming or when pressing down buttons too hard making my fan bend and stop cooling the, very heated, card. I solved it by buying a USB keyboard so I never touch my laptop anymore (Which has more outdated specs than your PC) and now everything is smooth.

But bottom line; I had the same issue with the 1-2 seconds of sound during black screen followed by a shutdown. Perhaps it's indeed your graphics card in that case? How you solve that, I have no idea of however. If you feel I wasted your time, I'm sorry, I just figured I'd share =)

Edit: Do you recieve a notification from Windows during restart that you suffered a BSOD? If so, it should also tell you what errors occoured and you can try googling that. I did it, and that's how I was notified it could be/was a graphics card issue for me. And thinking "How do I put less strain on my graphics card on a laptop" the idea of aquiring the USB keyboard was my sollution. So yeah, check if you get a BSOD message. If you do, google the code and see.
    Last edited by mmoc1f48e0f23e; 2013-01-02 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I made an edit to my original post on something to try - it's in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    While I have no sollution to your problem, I had the same issue with my laptop. What was my issue was my graphics card overheating from me having my hand placed on the laptop during gaming or when pressing down buttons too hard making my fan bend and stop cooling the, very heated, card. I solved it by buying a USB keyboard so I never touch my laptop anymore (Which has more outdated specs than your PC) and now everything is smooth.

But bottom line; I had the same issue with the 1-2 seconds of sound during black screen followed by a shutdown. Perhaps it's indeed your graphics card in that case? How you solve that, I have no idea of however. If you feel I wasted your time, I'm sorry, I just figured I'd share =)

Edit: Do you recieve a notification from Windows during restart that you suffered a BSOD? If so, it should also tell you what errors occoured and you can try googling that. I did it, and that's how I was notified it could be/was a graphics card issue for me. And thinking "How do I put less strain on my graphics card on a laptop" the idea of aquiring the USB keyboard was my sollution. So yeah, check if you get a BSOD message. If you do, google the code and see.
    Sorry but some parts are in dutch.

Probleemhandtekening:
    Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: BlueScreen
    Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Landinstelling-id: 1043

Aanvullende informatie over dit probleem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA8004434180
    BCP2: FFFFF8800620FB10
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4: 0000000000000004
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Bestanden die helpen bij het beschrijven van het probleem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\010213-34328-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Bryan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-46921-0.sysdata.xml

Lees de onlineprivacyverklaring:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0413

Als de onlineprivacyverklaring niet beschikbaar is, lees dan onze offlineprivacyverklaring:
    C:\Windows\system32\nl-NL\erofflps.txt

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 11:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I made an edit to my original post on something to try - it's in bold.
    How do I do this GPUT fix, but it might be best to buy a better Graphics Card or not?

You could try refitting your power cables to your gfx card. I had bluescreen problems because of loose/faulty cables and not because of overheating issues once.
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkii View Post
    I get a similar problem, every so often while gaming I get a black screen for a few seconds. Afterwards it continues as normal and I have a small popup on the task bar saying 'nVidia driver xxx.xx has crashed but managed to recover'

I've tried reinstalling drivers ect, but this problem has persisted through multiple hardware upgrades and no idea what's causing it
    You need to swipe the old video card drivers. And the new ones. Then re-install them. It's caused by driver conflict. This is very common in WoW.

Never replace a video card without removing all drivers and hidden files!

Friend of mine was having exact same problems. his sytem was watercooled and the tubing got stuffed up and the pump failed. he did not realize it and the videocards were dammaged. most likely you're videocard has had some kind of heat issues/dammage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    Friend of mine was having exact same problems. his sytem was watercooled and the tubing got stuffed up and the pump failed. he did not realize it and the videocards were dammaged. most likely you're videocard has had some kind of heat issues/dammage.
    I fear this too yes..

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkii View Post

unistall drivers and run CCleaner (google it) i had the EXACT same issue but with amd, tryed this and it worked. ive seen people mention the same for nvidia drivers, sometimes updating kinda messes it up and you need a totally fresh install. but simply uninstalling the driver doesnt get rid of it completely, thats where CCleaner comes in. ive done this with every single driver update since, even minor updates and havnt run into anymore problems, even when others have. try it before nerfing your core

10+ Year Old Account
    Enid (you know, the vague Jurassic Park reference?)
    I was having similar issues, computer would run fine, and then screen would go black and shut down. Sometimes it would bluescreen. It would also give me BULLSHIT about my $350 video card screwing up, same driver crash message by the way. Sounds like a simple video problem or maybe your monitor is going out? No, maybe not. My problem was rooted in the RAM. I've heard about some memory tests, but if you are comfortable removing a stick of ram, thats pretty easy too. 4gigs seems a bit low, hopefully you have two sticks to swap out. Try using 1 stick, if problem persists, use the other.

This is the tool that was mentioned to me before. Memtest86. memtestDOTorg is the website. I'm not vouching for the software so I would ask around/read up before you go this route.

Also, try using Disk Cleanup in windows 7. More than likely you have a ton of files that were created when these crashes happened. Thats just taking up more space in your RAM. Be sure to check all the boxes and click OK, then run it again and click the "Clean up system files" option too.

gl, i hope your problem is as simple as mine, but you don't have to use as much time trying to figure it out =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Try this:
    *get a drivers for your grafic card (dont instal yet)
    *delete the old drivers
    *go into safe mode and check if the old drivers are stil on... if this is the case delete them
    *instal a new driver
    *restart the computer

Got black screen yes no?
    If yes--- check if something is burned up card or badly connected, if your card is burned---) get a expert
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    You need to swipe the old video card drivers. And the new ones. Then re-install them. It's caused by driver conflict. This is very common in WoW.

Never replace a video card without removing all drivers and hidden files!
    Didn't work using Driver sweeper and CCleaner to remove all remnants of nVidia before installing new drivers