Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Am I wrong be getting angry in these situations?

This is kind of a rant. So, I've started dungeoning with my boyfriend again since CRZ made leveling kinda intolerable for me to do and I notice something that's kept happening lately: If someone's not yelling at me for doing my job (And doing above average or better job than that), cussing me out or have you, they're yelling at someone else.

I've been called "Fucking retarded" after doing a scenario, dying once mostly cause I'm an undergeared warrior with no healer.

And today I get get cussed out by two level 71 Worgen Rogues in PvP gear who stealthed past the first boss (Utgarde Keep), "Soloing" everything in their wake "I say solo cause they both die once each", then when we get to said boss, we die cause I, the healer, am frozen in ice for most of the dungeon. They call us bad, then we argue for the next 30 minutes (Even going so far as to call us bad cause we're from Moon Guard). This happens to me every other time I step into anything involving other people.

Another time involving a level 60 Warrior tank in PvP gear was tanking BRD, left the healer to die and just kept going, later saying he needed no healer, and didn't need any of us DPS.

A yet separate time where I died once because I got a little overzealous, and the warrior DPS, who was pulling PACKS ahead of the tank starts chewing me out and "Advising" (In a very harsh manner) that I need to wait for the tank to get aggro before attacking. So I spend the whole dungeon being berated.

Shit like this leaves me literally shaking. Is it just bad luck? Does anyone else have tons of run-ins with assholes?

You are aware there is this ignore function?

Edit to better explain the reasoning.

How you react to what other people say is your choice.

Either ignore it or not, your choice.

If you are unable to ignore it mentally, then use the in game feature to put these people on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    You are aware there is this ignore function?
    It'd leave me just as angry. Though I do ignore them after the fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the Internet. Please enjoy your stay.

Best I can say is just deal with it or ignore it. This is the wow community now days unfortunately.
    Aye mate

The social aspect of WoW has gotten stale over time and will stay that way so your best bet is to just queue with friends or guild members. I learned a long time ago that there's no point in wasting 5+ minutes in arguing with people who hide behind pixels. So I ignore them or vote kick em out. I always play a tank or healer so I have some control over how the group progresses. In certain cases, if one person pulls a bunch of mobs and manages to survive and does help clear the dungeon faster, it's just better to follow them so you can finish and drop group sooner.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try not to let shit that happens in game bother me, but sometimes it does, particularly if they've done something that impacts me in real life (like wasted a lot of my time). All I can say it try your best to remind yourself that it's a game and to let it go. Use the ignore feature -- mid dungeon and you don't have to hear it -- and learn to dismiss their comments rather than getting combative and wasting time arguing back.

Last of all, I would make sure that you are introspective about what you can do to avoid criticisms as well. If you're encountering these kinds of people every single dungeon, it may be time to ask yourself if you're contributing to the issue in some way, either in approach or attitude. I'm not saying you are, but it is worth looking at. There are assholes out there, but they aren't 100% of the population.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Last of all, I would make sure that you are introspective about what you can do to avoid criticisms as well. If you're encountering these kinds of people every single dungeon, it may be time to ask yourself if you're contributing to the issue in some way, either in approach or attitude. I'm not saying you are, but it is worth looking at. There are assholes out there, but they aren't 100% of the population.
    I'm just unfortunate in that regard then. I'm 100% silent in groups until someone starts badmouthing me or someone who doesn't deserve it. I've got no idea what I did wrong in most of these though.

Will keep in mind, however.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why I have been playing more and more solo nowadays, though alot of the dungeons I have done in the past have been fine, with the occasional asshole that I just have a laugh over(I try to think of how unfortunate their lives are to make them so angry) that I just ignore. Sadly the more the game becomes disconnected socially, the more and more players can rage and insult and troll without consequence. If it is too bad, I simply just leave group and move on, no point in sticking around and putting up with kids.

You just have to raise yourself above them, and help the helpful, and ignore the retards. Remember retards troll cause they want attention and for someone to bite. Ignore them, they do go away.

I dungeon from 15 to 85 and dont say one word the whole time, even if they say something to me good or bad. If they do try and say something I just ignore it. It really does just seem easier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMonster View Post
    I dungeon from 15 to 85 and dont say one word the whole time, even if they say something to me good or bad. If they do try and say something I just ignore it. It really does just seem easier that way.
    I may have to start trying to ignore people, I'm already silent in groups. I've got anger issues enough as it is.

If you get a lot of hassle, put people on ignore, so you will not group with them again and as soon as possible pull as many mobs as you can on the dps and leave the dungeon. After a good giggle you will feel a lot better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorticough View Post
    *editted to save from reposting it all*
    I have been in your position so I feel bad for you, in fact I refused to dungeon thru all of Cata and LK unless I knew everyone... its just this expansion that I've taken to not caring what folks think... enjoy your time... if you aren't having fun then you are wasting your time... Do what makes you happy and what you are comfortable with.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Unfortunately the memorable experiences from LFD are almost exclusively bad ones. This is mostly because the nice people stay silent. They've had as many bad experiences as you have. Eventually most people discover that any attempt at communication with the type of rancid little oik you describe above just leads to increased exposure to them.

With little to no sign that this type of person will improve their social skills or go away on their own we have a few options as I see it.

1) Suffer through it. Try to change their minds through rage-inducing LFD conversations only to be the one that comes out of the whole experience that little bit more bitter while the nasty bugger who made you feel this way is thinking nothing of it and well on his way to annoying the living shit out of someone else.

2) Hope Blizzard introduce a system that incentivises decent social interaction. Maybe something along the lines of the x/5 rating system they have for ticket surveys. I'm not going to flesh out an entire concept here, just spitballing.

3) Avoid it. As soon as someone starts annoying you, ignore them.

I don't particularly like or think we should need to do any of those things. But we do need to remember we're playing a game. And games in their essence are for children. We should expect to encounter them and for them sometimes to act childishly.

Just pretend they're poorly-programmed NPCs. It takes the edge off.

The advice to use the ignore function is really the only good advice that there is, because engaging with people who are out to insult or demean you just gives them a sense of importance. Negative reinforcement and all that. When you ignore them, you take away their power and let their egos shrink back down to a normal size. I haven't had tons of run-ins with assholes, like you asked, but the three or four that I did meet stopped mattering after I stopped responding.

Even if you make mistakes, "silly" mistakes at that, no-one has the right to berate you for thirty minutes over it.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I exchange back and forth a few times at most before either leaving or just ignoring all chat of that color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Putting them on ignore solves half the problem. The other half is solved by getting them killed, over and over again. And desecrating their corpses. I miss old corpse explosion so much for that... so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    Just pretend they're poorly-programmed NPCs. It takes the edge off.
    Turning off party chat helps a lot with this. I'd suggest the ignore feature(if you can't ignore it mentally) but I've always left that for those many people on my home server that annoy me since they're generally harder to avoid.

To add the the general theme, the ignore function is a wonderful tool and it is quite pleasing to know that the rude-boy is banging away on his keyboard and no one has a care to listen. Don't hesitate to use it, you can undo it later if you change your mind.

Deleted
    Whenever I leveled a new toon from 1-90 i see maybe one or two groups with angry crazy people. Take a step back and compare how many bad encounters you have had in contrast to how many none essentials.

The angry crazy people makes more of an impact on us just like they would do irl (remember that disrespectful angry shopper at the supermarket line we all meet at some point), and in a game where we get grouped with far more random people then most people will actually meet on a weekly basis irl, it suddenly seems like you incounter them more frequently then you normally do.

You can fix this like you would irl by associating mostly with people you know, and limit the amount of new "random" people you encounter on a daily basis (group with friends), and ignoring people like the mad shopper that we know either just had a bad day or is just in general an obnoxious person and needs pity more then your attention (use the ignore button).