Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Vathdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,119

    Violent Video Game Burning

    Well, this just had to happen didn't it? In reaction to the school shooting in Connecticut, some organization is holding a "book burning" for violent video games, music and movies. Hell, they even offer gift certificates to people who bring them in, what the hell.

    http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/2/3828...-violent-video

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Well, this just had to happen didn't it? In reaction to the school shooting in Connecticut, some organization is holding a "book burning" for violent video games, music and movies. Hell, they even offer gift certificates to people who bring them in, what the hell.

    http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/2/3828...-violent-video
    Heeeerrp a deeeeeeeeeeerrrrp.

    That's all I can think of to describe the situation, if that is actually what is happening and not something that's being made up.

  3. #3
    Meanwhile, people are encouraged to get even more guns. Maybe they should set fire to those instead.


    I hope they choke on the fumes.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Templar 331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    3,437
    Now I know what to do with some of the games I have and Gamestop won't give me crap for.

    But honestly, a totally stupid thing to do.

  5. #5
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    19,346
    I'm sorry to say this but... god dam rednecks..

    Sure they have a right to be angry, but its the same crap as when they had book burnings. There misinformed, and the reality is its because of crap parenthood and there inability to raise there children right that it lead to this.

    It be like if a teen driving a car killed a bus load of other teens, should all cars be burned and destroyed? No, its the fault of the people who didn't keep watch on those kids.

    this will lead to nothing, games, videos and music will still be sold, and those moron parents will still fail to raise there kids right. Still, if they think burning things is the only answer to lifes problems then that speaks for itself.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'm sorry to say this but... god dam rednecks..

    Sure they have a right to be angry, but its the same crap as when they had book burnings. There misinformed, and the reality is its because of crap parenthood and there inability to raise there children right that it lead to this.

    It be like if a teen driving a car killed a bus load of other teens, should all cars be burned and destroyed? No, its the fault of the people who didn't keep watch on those kids.

    this will lead to nothing, games, videos and music will still be sold, and those moron parents will still fail to raise there kids right. Still, if they think burning things is the only answer to lifes problems then that speaks for itself.
    So what you're saying is, we should burn the parents?

  7. #7
    There's really never a situation where burning intellectual property doesn't have awful connotations.

  8. #8
    Merely a Setback Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    26,526
    It's ok to burn the video games but not the holy scared divine guns. *Sighs*
    #TeamLegion

    Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

  9. #9
    Epic! Blockygame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shrike Abyssal
    Posts
    1,570
    Some people are really fucked in the head, what does this accomplish other than to say "look at how crazy we are, we achieved nothing today aside from adding pollutants to the atmosphere", lets palm off accountability to someone/something else because we don't want to deal with it.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

  10. #10
    Quickly, grab your pitchforks and torches! Some witch has been seen near the hill!
    Ponies are for little girls, deal with it.

  11. #11
    This is NOT a knee-jerk, emotional, illogical, pointless and senseless endeavor.

    Wait -

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Violent video games absolutely have a negative effect on people with mental health disorders and those with violent temperaments.

    But so does an 8th grade history class covering the Crusades or the Holocaust.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  13. #13
    The Insane Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    16,391
    Brilliant!

    That'll teach the psychopaths to not kill people!

    Why didn't we think of this before????

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's really never a situation where burning intellectual property doesn't have awful connotations.
    I disagree. One might burn books because it is cheaper than buying wood. Sometimes you can get books that would be tossed out otherwise for $.10.

    Also if you have to to survive.

  15. #15
    They claim it's not to be construed as blaming violent video games, but that's such a crock.

    Most of these shooters, in fact all of them, are old enough to tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

    I love violent video games too, I have since I was a child. But real guns scare the shit out of me and I don't intend to ever own one. If anything, playing violent games has helped teach me the difference between righteous violence and gratuitous violence, and further reinforced my distaste for the latter.

  16. #16
    It's funny when zealous adults think they're curing the cause by treating a non-related symptom.

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,645
    Can't wait to see the first idiot that dies from smoke inhalation.

    There will be one less stupid person on this planet, and it will be a blessing to us all.


  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral Vathdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,119
    They can't be that stupid can they? It has to be just a publicity stunt.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I disagree. One might burn books because it is cheaper than buying wood. Sometimes you can get books that would be tossed out otherwise for $.10.
    That seems implausible. Even $.10 books aren't going to give you much in the way of BTU/dollar, you'd be better off chopping some wood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Also if you have to to survive.
    I guess this could happen.

  20. #20
    Merely a Setback Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    26,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    They claim it's not to be construed as blaming violent video games, but that's such a crock.

    Most of these shooters, in fact all of them, are old enough to tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

    I love violent video games too, I have since I was a child. But real guns scare the shit out of me and I don't intend to ever own one. If anything, playing violent games has helped teach me the difference between righteous violence and gratuitous violence, and further reinforced my distaste for the latter.
    Are you my twin brother?
    #TeamLegion

    Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •