1. #1

    to liquid cool or not to liquid cool

    What is the main benefit to liquid cooling vs air? Is it a performance difference or does it mainly depend on which one you use or how it used in terms of overclocking benefits?

    Building a new pc now and want to start it off right and not have to swap a cpu fan after about a month. I want to build it right the 1st time.

    Mainly looking at either Corsair h100 or h80, or Intel liquid cooler

    Or going air with maybe the Noctua dh14 or just the coolermaster evo or the 212+

    Here's the links to the items, and if you have any other or better suggestions, it would be appreciated

    Intel liquid cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835203006
    Corsair h100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181017
    Corsair h80: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181016
    Noctua dh-14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018
    CoolerMaster 212_+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
    CoolerMaster 212 Evo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099


    Also, what's the main difference between water cooling ones and the liquid cooling ones?
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2013-01-18 at 06:26 AM.

  2. #2
    What? I don't even.

    You should probably put a bit more thought in to your post before you actually post it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  3. #3
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,506
    As far as I can tell, Liquid Cooling is pretty much just for cool (as in aesthetics, not temperature) factor these days. From what I can see, a Noctua air cooler works just as well as liquid cooling, and may well be quieter too.

  4. #4
    Liquid coolers such as the H100 performance at the same level as a Noctua NH-D14 and other air coolers at the top level.

    Some get liquid coolers because they think it will be more silent but it won't, you still have to use fans on the radiator and you add a pump to the equation.
    Some get liquid coolers because they want to have more space free around the CPU socket.
    Some get liquid coolers because they don't want to have a 1 kg metal piece literally hanging in 4 screws around your CPU. This can matter if you move around your computer a lot.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  5. #5
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,506
    Liquid coolers are also nice to not have to get low profile ram but that's ... not difficult to do these days. Also, liquid coolers are notorious for being LOUDER than air coolers under full load.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Liquid coolers such as the H100 performance at the same level as a Noctua NH-D14 and other air coolers at the top level.

    Some get liquid coolers because they think it will be more silent but it won't, you still have to use fans on the radiator and you add a pump to the equation.
    Some get liquid coolers because they want to have more space free around the CPU socket.
    Some get liquid coolers because they don't want to have a 1 kg metal piece literally hanging in 4 screws around your CPU. This can matter if you move around your computer a lot.
    I do like this as a benefit. It definitely seems like a large air cooler could potentially warp your mobo after a while. Though the main drawback that I see on some reviews is that some of the pumps go bad after about a year

    If it helps, mobo is a ASRock extreme6: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157295
    cpu is the 3570k

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I do like this as a benefit. It definitely seems like a large air cooler could potentially warp your mobo after a while. Though the main drawback that I see on some reviews is that some of the pumps go bad after about a year

    If it helps, mobo is a ASRock extreme6: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157295
    cpu is the 3570k
    It isn't really a problem if you have your computer stationary at home, but if you bring it to LANs or friends every so often I think a liquid cooler is the better choice.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  8. #8
    the difference between what you listed and a decent aftermarker air cooler is minimal. if you want to overlook air is usually fine as long as you have a case with good air flow and good aircooler. if you want water, do it right and buy a proper liquid cooling system with a pump reservoir and cooling plate for you cpu and gpu. there are great videos on YouTube for that information.

  9. #9
    the quick and easy / dirty guide to cooling systems in your pc

    True water cooling - for serious overclockers and pc show offs - you need to replenish your coolant after so many hrs of gaming which imo makes your com more of a hobby thing then a gamer thing

    Corsair cooling - this is my personal choice ... with a effective push pull air system through your com you can clock up your gaming com nicely without major constant management on your system ( aka gives your more time to pwn face rather then checking if your com is ok every 8 hrs you use it ) im running a pushpull systems with a corsair h60 through my system

    air cooling - the best air cooling system is a push pull system ... which means you wanna push air through the front of your computer and have fans extracting heat out of the top and the back of your system thus for increasing airflow over your graphics cards and cpu ... you also need to keep an eye out for cable management inside your system to increase air flow... you can get good cooling through this but if your looking at serious clocking on your processor your gunna need one hell of a heat sink on that thing
    Last edited by Divineknight13; 2013-01-18 at 07:03 AM.

  10. #10
    As far as i've read the $30 evo 212 CPU air cooler gets about the same temps as most water cooling and you can put the extra $50-$60 on a better video card or something.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Divineknight13 View Post
    the quick and easy / dirty guide to cooling systems in your pc

    True water cooling - for serious overclockers and pc show offs - you need to replenish your coolant after so many hrs of gaming which imo makes your com more of a hobby thing then a gamer thing

    Corsair cooling - this is my personal choice ... with a effective push pull air system through your com you can clock up your gaming com nicely without major constant management on your system ( aka gives your more time to pwn face rather then checking if your com is ok every 8 hrs you use it ) im running a pushpull systems with a corsair h60 through my system

    air cooling - the best air cooling system is a push pull system ... which means you wanna push air through the front of your computer and have fans extracting heat out of the top and the back of your system thus for increasing airflow over your graphics cards and cpu ... you also need to keep an eye out for cable management inside your system to increase air flow... you can get good cooling through this but if your looking at serious clocking on your processor your gunna need one hell of a heat sink on that thing
    Corsair cooling?

    I believe it's caled closed loop cooling, Corsair isn't the best at that.
    i5-4670k 4.2GHz | AMD R9 280x | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 256GB 840 EVO | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Steelseries Rival | Schiit Stack w/ BeyerDynamic DT 990

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Divineknight13 View Post
    the quick and easy / dirty guide to cooling systems in your pc

    True water cooling - for serious overclockers and pc show offs - you need to replenish your coolant after so many hrs of gaming which imo makes your com more of a hobby thing then a gamer thing

    Corsair cooling - this is my personal choice ... with a effective push pull air system through your com you can clock up your gaming com nicely without major constant management on your system ( aka gives your more time to pwn face rather then checking if your com is ok every 8 hrs you use it ) im running a pushpull systems with a corsair h60 through my system

    air cooling - the best air cooling system is a push pull system ... which means you wanna push air through the front of your computer and have fans extracting heat out of the top and the back of your system thus for increasing airflow over your graphics cards and cpu ... you also need to keep an eye out for cable management inside your system to increase air flow... you can get good cooling through this but if your looking at serious clocking on your processor your gunna need one hell of a heat sink on that thing

    I think you are getting something confused here. I think you are thinking of people who use sub-zero coolants (ln2, helium, ect...) to push there systems to the extreme. A custom water cooling loop never needs refilled. However, I would still agree that a custom loop is more of a hobby project than for only gaming. We build these custom loops because we enjoy working on computers.

    Also, you can overclock an Ivybridge CPU pretty damn high on air with no heat issues. They are very efficient processors. You also don't need to micro manage your computer that much when on air. Set up your overclock, prime 95 it to see what the max temp it reaches and to ensure you are stable, and you are golden for as long as you want.
    Shamalaman
    The best stat for Ele is resto.
    I7 3930k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 680GTX Lightningx2 SLI | ASUS Rampage IV Formula | 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz | Agility 3 128GB(OS) Samsung 840 500GB(Games) | Seasonic 860W Platinum | Nanoxia DS1 |

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •