Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    you are a moron, either you've never played any seasons before this one or you are playing something mongoloid like kittycleave and don't notice. possibly both.

we are not a not at 1.6k we are at 2k. we are facing 1.6k teams because the ladders are starting to die right now and no one is queuing in the 2k range. its not uncommon for us to face teams as high as 2.6k and as low as 1.5k. its also not uncommon for us to face 1.5k teams wearing T2 because they win traded rbgs to get it.

i'm not doing rbgs, no one on my team is, unlike apparently everyone else on the american ladders, we are not scum and i refuse to win trade to get my T2, a lot of bad players are however. there is no way a 2k caliber team should be losing to 1.6k players based on t2 and fully upgraded gear because of the higher rbg cap. but thats exactly whats happening, and not just to me.

there is being outgeared and then there is what is going on right now. i certainly didn't expect to be able to beat a full wrathful team while wearing deadly gear, but i certainly should be able to out skill them while wearing relentless.

skill isn't a deciding factor anymore because of the moronic damage some classes are capable of and the rampant exploiting and win trading completely screwing up gear progression.
    Someone is very overly mad, full of pride and full of hubris. Perhaps that 1600 team that stomped you was just on its way up, and are well above you now? Stop your whining. You are just blaming anything and everything to make up for your losses. It has nothing to even do with the current topic. Blame you being sick, blame your DK friend leaving for work, blame Ret being bad, blame "americans" win trading, blame whatever you want. I know you seem to think you are just plain the best player out there, but get over yourself. You're being out skilled, out geared, and countered.

Either way, it has nothing to do with the "unfair catch up problem." Others have invested more time, so should have better gear. This is how RPG's and WoW has always been, and this is how Arena has always been since BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Someone is very overly mad, full of pride and full of hubris. Perhaps that 1600 team that stomped you was just on its way up, and are well above you now? Stop your whining. You are just blaming anything and everything to make up for your losses. It has nothing to even do with the current topic. Blame you being sick, blame your DK friend leaving for work, blame Ret being bad, blame "americans" win trading, blame whatever you want. I know you seem to think you are just plain the best player out there, but get over yourself. You're being out skilled, out geared, and countered.

Either way, it has nothing to do with the "unfair catch up problem." Others have invested more time, so should have better gear. This is how RPG's and WoW has always been, and this is how Arena has always been since BC.

mad?of course i'm mad. i'm losing games to cheaters and exploiters. i'm losing games because i'm not willing to sacrifice my self respect to wintrade rbgs to get T2.

you need to stop being absolute imbecile and take a good long look at the american ladders, hell i'm sure the exact same thing is going on on the EU ladders, and then tell me that that level of corruption is ok. i've seen win trades and carries before, but i've never seen it as bad as it is right now. i have to go back EIGHT PAGES on the rbgs ladders to find some one i'm fairly sure didn't wintrade and exploit to their rating.

that 1.6k team that beat us is at 1.7k right now with nearly 3 times the amount of games played as my 2k team. they are beating the 1.5k-2k teams who don't have T2 , but losing to teams they don't out gear.

i'm not the best player, not by a long shot, but i'm not bad either, and i've invested a lot of time and energy into getting better at pvp because the better i get at it the more i enjoy it, but i don't enjoy losing to cheaters.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Same gear for everyone - thats why I left GW2...

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    If all gear would be normalized people would bitch 10xtimes more about pvp not being balanced..
    PvP will never be 100% balanced to make everyone happy, never will. however making it so i can go toe to toe with people and weather i win or lose is based on how well or poorly i play is a lot more comforting then walking into a BG in greens and being the punching bag.

upgrade system is horrible. i cant keep up with getting conquest gear. now i cant even upgrade anything i get. i only do bgs and im horde, so yea i dont get much conquest. one thing would help me is get atleast a lil bit of conquest on a loss. even if its only 10pts. i can easily lose 10 games in a row being horde.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPie View Post
    I have just read GhostCrawlers lastest posts about PVP and I have never bitched on GC before but I'm stunned a what he is basically saying;

The latest posts he pretty much said "We believe that people should have better gear if they have played longer". Now I'm all for the grind,we play an RPG and that's the point(even if it is the worst part about the game) but for PvP it can become utterly silly espically so when gear plays such a massive part and the structure is clearly Skill<Class<Gear. You can easily get beat on and lose games for the shear fact that the other team out gears you and I think this is a massive error which needs to be changed.

The new upgrade system isn't the problem, its the catching up you have to do when you have alts or missed half the season which is the downfall even more when you can only get a certain amount of points each week.Also it wouldnt matter as much if skill was the main factor of you winning. I have had countless duels/arena etc where I have lost due to 10k HP or so when the opponent has outgeared me, if we had the same gear I would of won due to the fact it was an even playing field not "he did XX% more damage than me and had XX% more HP to stop me killing him". Also being unable to kill a healer and having to wait in a arena for 25 mins both /wave /dancing because we couldn't do anything to each other.

Perhaps the high aboves or GC himself is making the $$ roll out of your bank by making you play longer, I just dont understand.

So what do you suggest people who play less get better/same rewards as people who invest time into it? That's not very fair.

Hit 2100+ arena/RBG rating. You will have your fair gear fight.
    Last edited by Sarthan; 2013-01-08 at 08:41 AM.

They should just add BG quests that reward PvP gear for completing certain objectives (that are effective towards winning). Something like: "Cap a flag at each of the 5 bases in Arathi Basin." They could even make it a big chain which, upon completion, would yield a conquest-level gear.

This way, new players learn how to be effective in each battleground (something like a tutorial) while providing experienced players' alts a catch-up mechanism without having to grind JP for the blue gear. They could reset these quests every season/tier with better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPie View Post
    I have just read GhostCrawlers lastest posts about PVP and I have never bitched on GC before but I'm stunned a what he is basically saying;

The latest posts he pretty much said "We believe that people should have better gear if they have played longer". Now I'm all for the grind,we play an RPG and that's the point(even if it is the worst part about the game) but for PvP it can become utterly silly espically so when gear plays such a massive part and the structure is clearly Skill<Class<Gear. You can easily get beat on and lose games for the shear fact that the other team out gears you and I think this is a massive error which needs to be changed.

The new upgrade system isn't the problem, its the catching up you have to do when you have alts or missed half the season which is the downfall even more when you can only get a certain amount of points each week.Also it wouldnt matter as much if skill was the main factor of you winning. I have had countless duels/arena etc where I have lost due to 10k HP or so when the opponent has outgeared me, if we had the same gear I would of won due to the fact it was an even playing field not "he did XX% more damage than me and had XX% more HP to stop me killing him". Also being unable to kill a healer and having to wait in a arena for 25 mins both /wave /dancing because we couldn't do anything to each other.

Perhaps the high aboves or GC himself is making the $$ roll out of your bank by making you play longer, I just dont understand.
    1) I'm stunned that there is so much Ghostcrawler hate when his communication with the community is not required, voluntary on his part, and he still gets flack for answering questions earnestly.
    2) Welcome to any game with a grind. If that shocks you, then remove iLvL from PvE gear.
    3) Apparently not.
    4) You don't like that aspect of the game, one of the primary aspects of any successful MMO, yet you also say you don't mind it. Contradictions are fun.
    5) Welcome to every faucet of WoW and MMOs in general. Gear needs to play a large part or else there is no reason to upgrade gear. Also, you misspelled "especially."
    6) Current structure is actually Gear<Class<Comp<Skill when it comes to high end PvP, and by that I don't mean your 1500 rating. I do mean 2k+ rated PvP; even though not every class is equal or as good as some in PvP, some players are still able to make their class' work well. There are very few specs that have no one at 2.4k.
    7) This is true when you are bad at your class. Tell a 2k team to wear only the crafted 450 gear and go up against a full malevolent team that sits at 1500. The 1500 team is going to have a bad time unless they are a "counter comp."
    8) You have already shown that you do not understand the issue, your opinion is moot.
    9) Don't expect it to be able to have four or five classes all with full Malevolent gear and not expect to have to put in the grind to do it, such an idea is idiotic. Also, if you misses half the season, then tough. That's not Blizzard's fault. A good player can make up the lost time and will still be able to gain rating to increase their cap.
    10) Yes, the point cap is to ensure that you don't get all the gear in one week. Not having a cap to help stagger the gearing process would be a, to be frank, retarded idea.
    11) Skill is generally the deciding factor between two teams in Arena and RBG.
    12) Then you have to play better? That being said I am feeling a troll-like vibe from this comment.
    13) Again, play better. If you know your class, you can coordinate CC and CD's to kill a DPS while keeping a healer CC'd. Druid healers, for example, have a damage CD and aspect to them that can be utilized while the healer is CC'd.
    14) Reiteration of the last two, and healing is being nerfed in arena even further, which will hurt DPS hybrid even more.
    15) Grinding is a vital part of every successful MMO, as you can see by looking at games like Guild Wars 2 which had no grind. And I don't suspect you will ever understand because these simple concepts, which should be common knowledge by now, are beyond you.

In summary
    You don't know what you're talking about. You are doing nothing but making asinine comments in order to either troll or express an invalid opinion. Honestly, I think it is the former.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by roflicerbob View Post
    The progression of getting gear is too important a part of wow to normalize.

Important to whom....?

Certainly not to the vast majority of pvpers who have repeatedly been verbal about bashing this flawed dated system of progression.

Perhaps its only really important to Blizzard, since it allows them to design the pvp element around their $15/month regardless of how detrimental the design is to PvP in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    This works in a completive multiplayer environment. It doesn't work in in a Themepark MMO RPG like WoW were gear is the reward.

Look at Guild Wars 2, everyone was exited about structured PvP....two months later nobody cares.
    As a previously higher ranked GW2 PvPer, people don't seem to understand why GW2 failed in PvP. The thing is, the gear/insta max character aspect was GREAT. It was loved. Having people shoot for cosmetic gear was a great way to have a game and it was loved. However, the problem with GW2 was not because they had free gear, it was because the cosmetic gear you worked for didn't require skill, just time spent. Farming glory over and over for cooler gear isn't much better than farming gear to have better stats. To make a real PvP game, you need to make rewards that actually require effort to get, not just time. Something like the 2200 gladiator's elite armor each season. THAT is what makes people want to pvp. Glad titles, glad mounts, RBG titles/mounts, RBG and arena rating, arena tabards, etc. All of these are what PvPers desire. Something to show "I'm better than you." Not just "I can one shot you no matter how much better you are than me." That is the problem with GW2 and WoW. WoW has the "I can 2 shot someone because I put in more time." aspect, while GW2 was "We're all on equal levels, but that cool gear you have isn't hard to get. I just don't farm glory enough." GW2's concept was exactly what PvPers were after. They want to be on an equal footing with everyone else, but have something to look forward to to show they're better. They don't want to just show they put in more time. A perfect example of this is how people will shell out hundreds upon hundreds of dollars simply to be carried to a Gladiator rank. The only reason is so they can say "See, I'm better."

Look at MOBA games like League of Legends or DOTA. People play those when there is absolutely no "gear treadmill" aspect. Buying champions is something like it, but it is not necessary at all past a certain point (and once you're there, you never have to do it again. IE: getting 9 champs for ranked play.) The only things in that game are ratings to show off, character panes from previous seasons, and cosmetic skins that people buy. That is how you run the PvP aspect of a game. You don't have people 2 shot each other. Make PvPers work for the coolest gear, not the strongest.

Also: those who keep comparing this to PvE. The thing is, PvP and PvE are MUCH different in gear aspects. Let alone the fact you can easily catch up in gear in PvE in a few weeks, PvE gear only scales one way, while PvP scales both. A boss isn't going to get stronger the longer the raid exists. Only you are. The more gear you have the easier the boss becomes. You gain in strength as the boss stagnates (and often gets weakened through nerfs/character buffs like in ICC or DS.) The problem with PvP on the other hand, is that both sides scale. If you skip two weeks in PvP, you become the boss in PvE. Your opponent is getting stronger and stronger, while you are just staying exactly the same. They are not improving at all (they may be, but for arguments sake, they aren't.) but because their stats keep increasing, they are able to simply overpower you. This aspect cannot be compared to PvE because only you are getting stronger, not the other side. You getting stronger does not impede someone else's fun, it only increases your own. In PvP however, the higher gear tiers may make you have more *fun* (subjective,) but it also makes someone else's time a nightmare. Being defeated in PvP, after outplaying the other person extremely hard, just because their health/strength stat is higher does not make a fun game. Just an unfair one.

If Blizzard were to make the difference between lower end gear and top end drastically smaller, it would not be that bad (however still not ideal. More of a middle ground.) What this could do is give people a very small advantage against higher skilled players, but it doesn't create a disparity so great, people have no chance in fighting back. Maybe a 2-5% difference from top end (PvP) gear to bottom end. Those who are just starting the season will still be able to completely outplay someone, while those who like gear will still feel slightly stronger than the rest for their time commitment. In a VERY close match (IE: equal skill) the one with the better gear would slightly come out on top, however someone who is significantly better than that person would be able to beat them very easily. Winning because you one shot someone is not fun. Winning because you completely outplayed someone gives you a sense of accomplishment. Blizzard is going back to the Vanilla style "grind until your wife leaves you" style, where the only people who can compete will two shot everyone.

Another possibility would just make it much easier for people to catch up in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    They should just add BG quests that reward PvP gear for completing certain objectives (that are effective towards winning). Something like: "Cap a flag at each of the 5 bases in Arathi Basin." They could even make it a big chain which, upon completion, would yield a conquest-level gear.

This way, new players learn how to be effective in each battleground (something like a tutorial) while providing experienced players' alts a catch-up mechanism without having to grind JP for the blue gear. They could reset these quests every season/tier with better gear.
    This is actually a pretty decent idea.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 04:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Pretty clever posts of which we really need more. And less "GC is an idiot, it is all about $$" Especially the comment about GW2 is interesting. Basically here is a game that "listened" to what people asked for. Now let us take a look there and see if it works.

People like to rewarded for the time they put into a game. While I understand that winning against undergeared people may not be fun (for some) let's for a minute stop pretending that there is this ENORMOUS crowd of millions of people that SUDDENLY decides mid x-pac to join the game and has the fun ruined because "they came late". Rather the enormous crowd starts when the x-pac is out. These days, I would expect you meet far more equally geared than undergeared opponents.

And isn't arena about always meeting equally rated teams (and thus most likely equally geared teams)? Ofc the moment I mentioned arena, the naysayers go "Oh, but it is shit because it is balanced around 3 vs 3 or FoM teams"

To which I will say: 10 years of MMOs. 10 years of games with PvP. I don't see anyone agreeing on "Game X" did it perfectly. Maybe it isn't easy / possible to make the perfect PvP mechanics. As it is I don't even see ppl agreeing on the state of pvp in WoW. Some like it, some hate it. Some love this, some want to fix that.

Just like everything in life.

As I just addressed the aspect of GW2, I'd like to hear your response to my comment.
    Last edited by Capers; 2013-01-08 at 09:20 AM.

Funny thing I read in all those pages: People are lazy and basically there are just 2 classes to play. Good incentive to (start) play PVP...

1.) The dreadful gear launched at 468 epic ilvl, but that made it better for PvE than heroic dungeon gear, so it was nerfed to 458. However, it was given significantly more pvp power and resilience to compensate for the nerf. You get nearly as much power and resil from the dreadful gear as you do from the malevolent gear, but the difference in other stats is essentially 2 tiers. That means that, while it seems like crafted contender gear is close to dreadful gear, there's actually nearly a tier and a half gap there.

The bare minimum for entering the arena in mid-season is honor gear in every slot. If you are wearing contender stuff, you're so far behind in gear that being able to win against even marginally competent players would mean gear had no value.

2.) The difference between having a tier 1 weapon and not having a tier 1 weapon is huge. Historically, PvE weapons have seen a lot of pvp use, since primary stats and weapon damaged trumped resil in that slot. With MoP Blizzard wanted to make sure that even the highest-end PvE gear was inferior to PvP stuff. So there's a huge amount of pvp power on the weapons and trinkets, since PvE stuff has historically seen use in those slots. However, if you're using a heroic dungeon or LFR weapon in PvP, you're the equivalent of 3-4 tiers behind in that most crucial socket.

3.) The lowest possible cap is now 1800 points a week for arena and 2200 if you do RBG, compared with 1350/1600 in Cata. So even at the lowest rating, if you earn your cap, you can get your weapon in week 4. If you have upgraded dreadful and a tier 1 weapon, and you are an excellent player, you can likely overcome gear deficits and push to a rating where you can begin to accrue malevolent gear very rapidly.

4.) Conquest upgrading has been somewhat unhelpful. In prior tiers, highly ranked teams finished gearing quickly, and everybody else spent the rest of the season catching up. But lower ranked players and late starters could achieve gear parity by the end of the season. With upgrades, top teams will maintain a gear advantage throughout the season.

A lot of the problems are tier 1 problems. Tyrannical Gladiator gear will be ilvl 496, just one tier better than Malevolent, so the gap between honor and conquest gear will be smaller in the next season. And the difference between having last season's pvp weapon and a current pvp weapon will similarly be much less dramatic than the current disparity between people who have pvp weapons and people who do not.
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.
    My Blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com
    My Warcraft/Gaming Blog: http://biggerthankologarn.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanFriedman81

Deleted
    If you want everyone's stuff to be equal, this might not be your thing.
    Gear is just a part of an RPG.

They had to work for their gear and kept playing, and because someone took 3 months off he should be able to beat them?
    He should get smashed in the floor for months so next time hell think twice about stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    This reason alone is why I hate PvP in general.

When joining Battlegrounds/Arena your gear should be normalized. Wins should be based on tactics/skill and not gear. It's simple mathematics why the current system fails.

PvP should be something fun you want to do, not something you know you can't win at based on gear.
    This is also why I refuse to take raiding on any of my alts seriously.

They expect me to do hours of days of dailies just to spend my VP on gear pieces, and then pray to some deity that I win _A_ piece of loot that I don't already have in 5 LFRs a week; do this for 2 months, then MAYBE I'll be allowed to pug on them.

Everything is broken in this game unless you started right away and kept up with it. It's fucking bullshit.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 04:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    1) I'm stunned that there is so much Ghostcrawler hate when his communication with the community is not required, voluntary on his part, and he still gets flack for answering questions earnestly.
    Here's my hate for him:

Weeks ago, he said: "We feel that Invocation is an issue, as well as IW not being used"
    Yesterday when I tell him many people dislike the talents, he uses the excuse that I'm simply making up "facts" (when I never claimed them to be fact). In addition to this, we've had a SECOND Invocation change proposed, added to the PTR notes, and, yet again, it was pulled before being put on the PTR. I love that we have some communication, but I'm getting fed up with this lying asshole.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by FraQture View Post
    Why should the ppl that actually has farmed for gear at the start of the season lose to someone that just started? Makes no sense. I would be pissed if someone with blues could beat me out of pure skill. Ofc skill has ALOT to say, timing stuns, silences etc.

But if i was playing a warrior with full bis pvp gear, and a random warrior in blues could beat me just because he was either abit better cordinating stuns and stuff i would stop pvping........ I feel the ppl that was earli out getting bis gear should have an advantage. And like Bazookaberit said, You can catch up in the middle of a season easy. Get increased rating for bigger cap and in a few weeks, you have EPIX!
    And how exactly are we supposed to reach that "higher rating for higher cap" when sitting at 1600-1700 rating and meeting people above 2k+ with full elite gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    You forgot C: people are to lazy to play 10 games a week for cp points, to do sha for chance to get free offpieces, legs or gloves or to farm battlegrounds and at least getting a fully upgraded set of dreadful gear.
    That might be a valid argument if everyone got the same amount of points every week, but it's not since reality disagrees with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    That might be a valid argument if everyone got the same amount of points every week, but it's not since reality disagrees with you.
    Everyone has the same minimum amount of points they can earn every week. The current minimum right now is the same as in cataclysm if you were close to 1.8k rated.
    Getting a full set of malevolent gear with such a big minimum cap shouldn't be a problem. Better players get a better cap so they can catch up even faster but for the average player, that cap is more then enough.

Play a twink then, you only need to gear up once and maybe change a few pieces around if a major patch changes something. All the brackets have some activity, though 70 has the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Everyone has the same minimum amount of points they can earn every week. The current minimum right now is the same as in cataclysm if you were close to 1.8k rated.
    Getting a full set of malevolent gear with such a big minimum cap shouldn't be a problem. Better players get a better cap so they can catch up even faster but for the average player, that cap is more then enough.
    I forgot to mention fully upgraded T2 weapons are a gigantic advantage that undeserving players basically cheated to get. Basically everything kosechi said at the top of page 7. PVP is dying. Less and less people are bothering with it because of how much of a joke it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    I forgot to mention fully upgraded T2 weapons are a gigantic advantage that undeserving players basically cheated to get. Basically everything kosechi said at the top of page 7. PVP is dying. Less and less people are bothering with it because of how much of a joke it is right now.
    Couldn't be said enough times IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.