[Movies] Any "serious" Sherlock Holms movie?

I have seen the recent movie and the series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/

not that they are bad movies but I would like it to be more "serious"..I mean the character shouldn't be "goofy" and funny..
    I want more dark atmosphere and more serious characters...Like "from Hell" with jonny Depp http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120681/

So is there any movie like this? A true mystery movie, in the old atmospheric london/Britain?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the only one i can remember is russian movie "Приключения Шерлока Холмса и доктора Ватсона"
    well, not russian, but USSR.
    I think it has subtitles for english.
    Oh and it has great overture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdtwg-aNTj0
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-01-08 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Try watching the modern version, "sherlock" by BBC, agreed it isn't victorian time, but Moriarty and Sherlock are both brilliantly written (especially Moriarty, he's me number 2 villain after Heath Legers Joker)

Quote Originally Posted by TehFurbolg View Post
    What? I mean the OP posted those exact links already and said he saw them... :S

edit: No hating against people who help, none at all - but that's kinda senseless, isn't it?
    Yeah I saw that, but just because he doesn't like them does not mean they are not serious movies. So I posted the Serious Holmes movies I have seen.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    holmes was ever dark and serious? the dude was a cocky knowitall in each incarnation.

The TV series is done extremely well...

I've read the books and I was expecting it to be brutalized on TV, but it was actually really good.

As far as book-to-screen goes, this was one of the better examples.

Aside from the newer variations, pretty much all of the Basil Rathbone versions are good, dated sure, but still good.
    Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles

OP said that he's already seen both modern series and and movie, and people still link them? /facepalm

Good thing about Sherlock Holmes is that he's one of most portrayed characters in fiction, bad thing is that lot of these are crap. Basil Rathbone's portrayal is usually considered to be one of the best, if not the ultimate Sherlock, although the movies are really old (made in 1940) they're still good because he was incredible actor. For a more modern version, Jeremy Brett played Holmes in pretty good TV series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, there's even a TV movie The Hound of the Baskervilles with him. Russian version is also good, but I don't know if it had been translated properly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    everyone is entitled to their own opinions but i think both of the ones robert downey jr have done have had enough "darkness" in them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can understand the desire for less humor, but the RDJr Holmes movies aren't that bad. The first one was actually really good. Sherlock is also a pretty good substitute for a movie as the episodes are quite long even without commercials. I'm even rather fond of the American show Elementary for putting a different spin on things.

Watch the raven. it's sherlock holmes with a little touch of horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Aside from the newer variations, pretty much all of the Basil Rathbone versions are good, dated sure, but still good.
    Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles
    Shinzai is spot on, the Basil Rathbone movies about Sherlock Holmes are good, most if not all made during the 40's so yes B/W movies but great stories.
    Peter Cushing also made some Holmes movies if I remember this was during the 60's but go check on IMDB just search under Sherlock Holmes and you should get all the versions available.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

thanks a lot for the answers I did a phone to the local video club, they have http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086661/ for rent but they don't have the Russian one, the Jeremy Brett and The Hound of the Baskervilles...But I at least I got one to see thank you for all the suggestions
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Peter Cushing Hammer Films Hound of the Baskervilles is pretty good, myself.

I've seen some of the older, but still relatively modern (I believe 80's-90's, though I can't be bothered to check dates), and Holmes has always been an eccentric character, and the incompatibility between Holmes and Watson seems to have always been present, lending themselves to a variety of comedic reliefs. Of course, Robert Downey, Jr. caricatures Holmes quite a bit, but I still find his portrayal to be amongst the best cinematic performances in recent times.

It's not Sherlock, at all, but if you want something dark and atmospheric set in the same general time period as traditional Sherlock Holmes, with a detective finding himself caught up in the middle of some strange happenings like Holmes often does, and you don't mind reading some subtitles, AND you don't mind things getting... weird, you should check out this French movie called "Vidocq," also often distributed as "Dark Portals: The Chronicals of Vidocq."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidocq_%282001_film%29

There's some truly awesome visuals in the movie, though there are times it doesn't pull off what it tries to do nearly as well as a much higher budget film, but it's still pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

On a side note, Ripper Street, is fairly decent and interesting so far. It's not Sherlock Holmes, but it's very much in the spirit of it, though more gritty and 'realistic' as to the time period it's set in. I'd recommend watching it if it's available to you.