Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Being french myself, I'd say it is very hard and unnecessary complicated.

I never had any fun learning my own language, while english always made sense to me.

Also, you could probably fare quite well by only speaking english (and of course a little bit of french here and there) in France. The language is so popular nowadays, you'll always find ways to be understood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asheriah View Post
    Being french myself, I'd say it is very hard and unnecessary complicated.

I never had any fun learning my own language, while english always made sense to me.

Also, you could probably fare quite well by only speaking english (and of course a little bit of french here and there) in France. The language is so popular nowadays, you'll always find ways to be understood.
    It is my opinion that it is respectful to at least make an effort to speak the native language.

And having taught English to ESL students, English is very difficult to learn unless it's your birth tongue. French is easier because its rules are more consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It is my opinion that it is respectful to at least make an effort to speak the native language.
    I can understand and respect that.

And having taught English to ESL students, English is very difficult to learn unless it's your birth tongue. French is easier because its rules are more consistent.
    I can't agree with that though. I always thought it was easier to learn english because of how easy it is to build words (mind-bending, heart-stopping, etc) on your own, and how popular the language is. You can read and hear it everywhere, by listening to music, watching TV and even playing video games. You're constantly bathed in it .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Yup subjonctif, even i who is native french don't know how to use it correctly. Mostly because we don't use it much.
    The present tense of subjunctive is pretty much used. It's just that it's usually not much different than indicative present for the verbs of the first group ( verbs that ends in -er in the infinitive mood). It is used to denote an obligation or a wish.

Ex.:
    - Il faut que je parte. or -Il faut que j'y aille. (I have to go).
    - Le subjonctif n'est pas si rare, que je sache! (Subjunctive is not so rare, as far as I know)
    - Bien que WoW ait huit ans, c'est encore un jeu très populaire. (Even if WoW is eight years old, it's still a very popular game.)
    - Que la lumière soit ! (Let there be light!)
    - Il faut qu'il le comprenne. (It is necessary that he understand this)
    - Vive le Québec ! (or le Roi, la France, etc.)

Imperfect subjonctive, on the other hand, is barely used and considered old, almost obsolete... and even humorous.

- Encore eût-il fallu que je le susse.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tygry View Post
    Snip.
    Thanks, I'll give it a look and thanks for the post

Yes. Learn French.

Also, I hate to be a product placement guy but if you have the cash try investing in Rosetta Stone. Its reviews aren't just PR fluff, I can assure you.
    Yeah I have heard great things about Rosetta Stone. They are a bit on the pricey side as far as language books go, but I suppose it's an investment at the end of the day.

My sentiments exactly. I think it's incredibly disrespectful to live in a country and not speak the language. It really is the least you can do if they have been kind enough to open their door to you.

I also feel that if I didn't learn the language, I could never fully integrate myself into society there.