Poll: What's your toilet seat etiquette?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Toilet seat etiquette

There's this long war over the toilet seat between men and women, apparently. I personally don't understand what the war is about. I mean, we're living in the day and age of equality, right? Surely then we should apply equality to the toilet seat issue.

The first claim is that men should raise the toilet seat when they go #1. Well, this much is obvious. You're not supposed to pee through the toilet seat as a man, unless you're sitting on it. The point of contention here isn't raising the toilet seat, however, but lowering it. The classic "nag" you hear over and over is about men leaving the toilet seat up.

Well, let's look at it, shall we?

Option A

• Man goes to the toilet for a #1
    • Man raises the toilet seat, left down by the woman
    • Man does his business
    • Man lowers the toilet seat

• Woman goes to the toilet for her business
    • Woman does nothing to the seat
    • Woman does her business
    • Woman does nothing to the seat

Conclusion: In this model, men do all the work, while women do absolutely nothing. This is the womens' preferred model, of course, and this is what the classic "nag" is all about.

Option B

• Man raises the toilet seat, left down by the woman
    • Man does his business
    • Man leaves the seat up

• Woman lowers the toilet seat, left up by the man
    • Woman leaves the seat down

Conclusion: In this model, men raise the seat, women lower the seat. Equal amount of work for both parties.

Option C

• Man raises the toilet lid as well as the toilet seat, left down by whoever visited the toilet last
    • Man does his business
    • Man lowers the toilet seat as well as the lid

• Woman raises the toilet lid, left down by whoever visited the toilet last
    • Woman lowers the toilet lid

Conclusion: If you have a lid on your toilet, why is it ever open? It's there for a reason. You're meant to close it when you use the toilet, preferably before flushing, mainly because during flushing, a very large amount of water vapor, and with it bacteria as well as fecal matter and the sort, is sprayed out from the toilet due to the rushing water. There are very graphic examples of this online if you're interested. Thus, this model is equal for both parties, as well as the most hygienic.

So there you have it. As I said in the beginning, I personally don't understand what the fuss is about, since where I live, we have lids on our toilets, and for me it's obvious to close the lid after I use the toilet. I do admit though that more than often I run to a toilet where the lid isn't closed, and the seat is either up or down (up if it's a men's toilet, up or down if it's a unisex toilet). Still, the lids are there for a reason. They should be used.

What's your preferred model of toilet seat etiquette?

Everyone should put the gosh darn seat down and stop bitching about it.

Deleted
    I think the lid is there to prevent dust coming on the seat? Honestly its never close in my house
    Whenever it is people usually get mad, for that time where you have to go so bad for a #2 and sit your self on a cold lid!
    It happend once!

About men putting the seat down, They're not putting it down for the women alone, When they need to take a dump i can only guess men want to sit on a nice urine free seat aswell.

I'd like to have such problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Option D:
    Piss on the seat
    Wipe it up
    Flush
    Wash hands

Women have hands. They can put the seat down. If the argument is that the lid should always be down, then I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Women have hands. They can put the seat down. If the argument is that the lid should always be down, then I agree.
    Men have hands, they can put the seat down.

Honestly, it depends on the number on the girl to guy ratio in your house, although, girls have to sit twice, guys only stand to piss.

seat down and lid down once im done ( im a guy btw )

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, option C.
    Flushing with the lid up is just gross as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post

Honestly, it depends on the number on the girl to guy ratio in your house, although, girls have to sit twice, guys only stand to piss.
    Indeed they can. Just like men can raise the seat when they want to stand.

A for selfishness, B for efficiency, C for cleanliness.

Actually, you forgot the option where women put the seat up when they're done and men do nothing, the opposite of A. I know nobody does it, but for completion's sake.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 10:08 AM ----------

Sure, but why should the burden of the seat re-positioning for current usage fall on anyone else except the person who is currently attempting to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Sure, but why should the burden of the seat re-positioning for current usage fall on anyone else except the person who is currently attempting to use it?
    Because you're not lazy and selfish, nor do you find putting the lid back in the neutral position such an unbearable drudgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Because you're not lazy and selfish, nor do you find putting the lid back in the neutral position such an awful drudgery.
    As I previously noted, I prefer that the lid is always down. (well clearly when you aren't using the toilet, but yea...). The whole fighting over the seat thing is stupid.

Option D:

Leave the toilet seat down and proceed to piss all over it while exclaiming, "... with this holy water, blessed be thy toilet seat!"

Back to topic, I don't think hygiene is a big deal unless you have ass crabs.
    Last edited by pallydan; 2013-01-03 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    Oh god, why is it an issue about who raises the lit and the seat and who doesn't? This must be the stupidest of discussions invented in human history.
    Do it like this: Everyone goes the toilet and uses it as they goddamn please, just make sure you don't leave a mess for the next person.
    (but I agree that men should lift the seat when taking a piss, for the sake of not leaving a mess for the next person)
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-01-03 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post

Why does someone have to touch the toilet seat to put it down because you chose to pee standing up? Guys have the option, girls don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the biggest issue in your life is a toilet seat's position. I would consider yourself lucky. If it's up and you want it down. Put it down. If it's down and you want it up put it up. How fucking hard is this? Why people bicker over the stupidest shit is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who cares about that lid's position doesn't have real problems. Yeah, my wife is included.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Because you're not lazy and selfish, nor do you find putting the lid back in the neutral position such an awful drudgery.
    Where is it stated that "lid down" is the neutral position? There is no "neutral position". If I have to put up the seat to pee, then why shouldn't the female not have to put in the same exact effort to perform the same exact function?

Women want to be equal, but only if they get more out of it. That's why relationships don't work for me. Because I treat them as equals. Nothing special. Nine times out of ten, if I give them enough rope to hang themselves, they will. I'm not mean to them, I just allow them more freedom to live their lives as they wish. Loyalty does not exist in the women where I am from. No matter how good the relationship is, they always have one eye looking for the BBD.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Deleted
    Why does someone have to touch the toilet seat to put it down because you chose to pee standing up? Guys have the option, girls don't.
    Why is it an issue to touch the toilet seat with your hands? You touch it when sitting down and by 'normal' hygiene standards you wash your hands after.
    So unless you don't wash your hands after toilet use, touching the seat should for no one be an issue.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    If the biggest issue in your life is a toilet seat's position. I would consider yourself lucky. If it's up and you want it down. Put it down. If it's down and you want it up put it up. How fucking hard is this? Why people bicker over the stupidest shit is beyond me.
    Thank you

end of discussion.