Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrading my nVidia 550GTX Ti

I currently use a nVidia 550GTX Ti.

But from recent experience and reading through the forums I've noticed that nVidia is stuff too instable for gaming.
    I keep getting crashes which bugs me out.

Is the 600 series worth it? Or should I move over to something else like ATI?

Not enough info to recommend a card. We need to know:

What resolution you play at.
    What games you play.
    What power supply you have.
    What CPU you have.

What resolution you play at.
    1680x1050

What games you play.
    Games like Borderlands 2/Guild Wars 2

What power supply you have.
    Gotta check this when I am home

What CPU you have
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

Honestly, a 550ti should be plenty for those games at that resolution. Guild wars is terribly optimized and i know people with very expensive computers that complain about low FPS, and borderlands 2 isnt particularly demanding either.

You say you are experiencing issues, first thing you should do is update video drivers and monitor your temperatures while playing those games. I use HWmonitor, you can find it pretty easy with a yahoo search.

I did update my drivers, I always do. But I have been receiving issues since 2 weeks now.
    My CPU can handle it either.

I do wonder about the temperature. So I will get HWmonitor this afternoon and I'll let you know what the results are.

Thank you for now

Actually if you can order from newegg you should get this while its still on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162127

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Actually if you can order from newegg you should get this while its still on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162127
    I hardly think the somewhat small upgrade going from a GTX 550Ti to that is worth $135.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use an nvidia 550gtx ti, i5 intel with 8gb mem, wow runs at max resolution, with most settings at max. I never drop below 58fps, and it runs Skyrim prettty well, so i would check your drivers like the guys said above, your card should be fine for that unless its buggging out or running hot.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I hardly think the somewhat small upgrade going from a GTX 550Ti to that is worth $135.
    I actually suggested him to see if his stuff is overheating before i recommended that card, but for 135.00 with free shipping thats a really good deal for a 650ti and is quite a large upgrade from a 550ti (twice as fast in some games.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 11:32 AM ----------

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/680?vs=541

As you can see, the 650ti is much much faster than the 550ti.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2013-01-03 at 05:37 PM.

I actually suggested him to see if his stuff is overheating before i recommended that card, but for 135.00 with free shipping thats a really good deal for a 650ti and is quite a large upgrade from a 550ti (twice as fast in some games.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 11:32 AM ----------

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/680?vs=541

As you can see, the 650ti is much much faster than the 550ti.
    I guess we just have a different view of what fast is then, to me 5fps increase in some cases is hardly worth $135, specially when you can get a Radeon 7850 for $30 more.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

With that kind of logic he might as well grab a gtx 680. (you could infinitely say "well hey this card is only x dollars more and is only x dollars faster" all the way up to a gtx 680). Bottom line is we dont know what PSU he has, and he also only plays at 1680x1050 which the 650ti will destroy any game at that res, i suggested it because it is 135.00 with free shipping, a reasonable amount of money to spend on a video card.

Also, where did you get the 5fps increase, did you click on the anand benchmark, the vast majorty of those games the 650ti has nearly a 50% FPS increase.

GTX 660 if you want noticeable FPS increase and can afford it.

With that kind of logic he might as well grab a gtx 680. (you could infinitely say "well hey this card is only x dollars more and is only x dollars faster" all the way up to a gtx 680). Bottom line is we dont know what PSU he has, and he also only plays at 1680x1050 which the 650ti will destroy any game at that res, i suggested it because it is 135.00 with free shipping, a reasonable amount of money to spend on a video card.

Also, where did you get the 5fps increase, did you click on the anand benchmark, the vast majorty of those games the 650ti has nearly a 50% FPS increase.
    Some of the Skyrim, Civ and Crysis scores show as small as a ~5fps increase, yes there are a lot bigger increase in other cases but the Radeon 7850 is still a better choice from a price/performance standpoint.
    It is hardly the same logic as telling him to get a $450 card.
    Compare the 650Ti and 7850 and keep in mind that all the tests were done before AMD released their "Never Settle" driver which improved the performance in a bunch of games with 20-40%. Specifically games like BF3 and Starcraft were the difference in that test are the smallest.

You are still avoiding the main point sir, he plays at 1680x1050. If he played at 1080p i would agree with you.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 12:21 PM ----------

Also its 37 dollars more for the cheapest 7850, gotta figure in shipping as well. I also dont really trust HiS cheapo coolers, id rather the powercolor or gigabyte but they are more money yet.

Honestly, a 550ti should be plenty for those games at that resolution. Guild wars is terribly optimized and i know people with very expensive computers that complain about low FPS, and borderlands 2 isnt particularly demanding either.

You say you are experiencing issues, first thing you should do is update video drivers and monitor your temperatures while playing those games. I use HWmonitor, you can find it pretty easy with a yahoo search.

This while running Borderlands 2 in the back ground

You are still avoiding the main point sir, he plays at 1680x1050. If he played at 1080p i would agree with you.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 12:21 PM ----------

Also its 37 dollars more for the cheapest 7850, gotta figure in shipping as well. I also dont really trust HiS cheapo coolers, id rather the powercolor or gigabyte but they are more money yet.
    The 7850 is undeniably a better card and is THE best price/performance GPU around. Yes it costs ~$40 more, but whether that's worth it or not is up to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

You're using a green drive for your operating partition?

But yeah, regardless of your PSU, if it's capable of pushing a 550 Ti you should be fine with a 7850, and it's a rather beefy and moderately priced upgrade. You could go further than that, but it's possible you'll start running into issues with your CPU holding you back in some games.
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2013-01-03 at 09:20 PM.

Temps look good. I never asked, are you using windows 7 or vista? Windows xp does not support DX11 which in itself can give large uprgades in FPS in some games.

I am using Win7 since recently.

I also used CCleaner to get rid of any temp files who might disrupt my drivers.

No one can help me with my problem/black screen problem?