Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Going to buy a gun on Saturday, which one?

So I'm having a huge toss between a Glock 19 and a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. The hardest part about the decision is that the M&P hasn't been on the market as long so the Glock has a mass volume of magazines on the market over the M&P. I figure when the squabbling dies down prices will return to normal a bit or I'll just have a friend pick up a few for me in another state.

Any opinions on which one you prefer? It will be primarily used for a concealed carry and nightstand weapon. I'm just wondering if anyone has lived with both and found one to be a better fit over the other.

Deleted
    Cant you test them both at a range before making a decision ?
    that way you find which is better for you and not what someone else / Sales person says is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Cant you test them both at a range before making a decision ?
    that way you find which is better for you and not what someone else / Sales person says is good for you.
    It's not really "test" issue. I've fired both. It's a question of which seems to hold up better over time both in appearance and in maintenance. Some people have specific opinions on how certain arms fit and feel in concealed carry as well. Can't really borrow one for a few weeks to check and see if it is comfortable and or can be drawn better than the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go for the S&W, i've tried both and M&P has superior ergonomics and the trigger works very smoothly. But as Siggma said you have to try both, both are great compacts.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you are planning on carrying, you might want to look for an even smaller gun (or get a second gun and keep the full-sized G17 or M&P9 for the night stand). My dad has M&P9 and it's a big gun, but I haven't actually touched a 9c. He recently bought an M&P Shield (9mm, single stack 8 rounds) to use as a carry gun, it's very slim.

I have a Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact 9mm, double stack 13+1. It's a big chunky but still quite small, and I like the trigger action. I can say I wasn't a fan of the Glock trigger on my boss's gun, but there a millions who swear by Glock.

I'd suggest you go to a range and actually spend some time with a few of the options and figure out what you want that way. The "which holds up better" and "maintenance" seem like odd questions to me. We aren't talking about a Lorcin here. You can't go wrong with an S&W, Glock, Beretta, Ruger, Sig... so wear&tear and maintenance really aren't a concern. It's about which you are more comfortable with to carry and fire.
    Last edited by Porcell; 2013-01-03 at 02:03 PM.

Police here use the Glock 19 and it's looked on very favourably by them and shooting clubs. Can't really help any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    If you are planning on carrying, you might want to look for an even smaller gun (or get a second gun and keep the full-sized G17 or M&P9 for the night stand). My dad has M&P9 and it's a big gun, but I haven't actually touched a 9c. He recently bought an M&P Shield (9mm, single stack 8 rounds) to use as a carry gun, it's very slim.
    I'm not a fan of the subcompact weapons due to the grip. I've fired a S&W Bodyguard and couldn't hit anything with it. It could be my hand size. I've also been at odds with them due to the idea of firing while injured.

An Air Force buddy raves about the Px4 and I agree it's a bit chunky but then again so is my sig.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cz75fan View Post
    I'm not a fan of the subcompact weapons due to the grip. I've fired a S&W Bodyguard and couldn't hit anything with it. It could be my hand size. I've also been at odds with them due to the idea of firing while injured.

An Air Force buddy raves about the Px4 and I agree it's a bit chunky but then again so is my sig.
    I don't necessarily like the Shield either, or my Mom's LC9 Ruger. Too narrow for me to get a good grip on. The Px4 Subcompact has that thicker grip which is nice, and the magazine has a little pinky-finger "knock-down" which allows me to get all three fingers on the grip.

Again, it all comes down to feel in your hand, trigger pull, and ease of carry. Most of all, if you aren't going to want to carry it, don't get it. Too many people get a gun they think they will carry, and then "Meh, it's too heavy, I'm going to leave it home today."

Deleted
    So I'm having a huge toss between a Glock 19 and a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. The hardest part about the decision is that the M&P hasn't been on the market as long so the Glock has a mass volume of magazines on the market over the M&P. I figure when the squabbling dies down prices will return to normal a bit or I'll just have a friend pick up a few for me in another state.

Any opinions on which one you prefer? It will be primarily used for a concealed carry and nightstand weapon. I'm just wondering if anyone has lived with both and found one to be a better fit over the other.
    None, you are not responsible enough to be a firearms owner.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    If he has kids it's indeed a bad idea which will sooner or later result in a fatal discharge.

I personaly have a Gunvault near the bed in which i keep my G19,Jericho 941 and 1911, combo is only known to me so no chance for my kid to get ahold of a firearm.

Purchase em both, duel wield them bad boys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    If he has kids it's indeed a bad idea which will sooner or later result in a fatal discharge.

I personaly have a Gunvault near the bed in which i keep my G19,Jericho 941 and 1911, combo is only known to me so no chance for my kid to get ahold of a firearm.
    Not just kids either, an unsecured weapon is a weapon that could end up in the hands of criminals.

Not just kids either, an unsecured weapon is a weapon that could end up in the hands of criminals.
    In fact, the primary source of guns used by criminals are ones that aren't properly stored and acquired during burglaries. Especially since, unless the burglary is solved, the gun is virtually untraceable.

True story, I was looking on a dating website, and there was this countryish chick. There was a pic of her with a rifle, and I was like, oh, that's cool, she's into hunting. Then in the next picture I looked at, there's one of her friends pointing their rifle at her, and then I facepalmed and moved on. You don't point a gun at anybody you don't intend to kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any opinions on which one you prefer? It will be primarily used for a concealed carry and nightstand weapon.
    Glock 26 or Taurus 24/7 Pro, they'll be a lot easier to conceal/carry than their fullsized cousins others have recommended in this thread.

Both are pretty big for concealed carry. Glock 19 is my favorite sidearm but is just too bulky to carry inside a waistband. Unless you are of "generous" girth either are going to be easily detectible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Both are pretty big for concealed carry. Glock 19 is my favorite sidearm but is just too bulky to carry inside a waistband. Unless you are of "generous" girth either are going to be easily detectible.
    The Glock 26 is a gnome compared to the 19...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Neither, if you want a quality 9mm pistol get the Browning Hi-Power.

As for your intentions for concealed carry I find it suspect as to why you need this and want such large 9mm's.

Best holdout pistol is the Walther ppk
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-01-03 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

As for your intentions for concealed carry I find it suspect as to why you need this and want such large 9mm's.

Those may have been great decisions in 1980, but now?

The PPK is surpassed by tons of weapons that are smaller, lighter, more reliable, larger caliber and less recoil since they're not straight blowback.

The Hipowers are nice, but from his choice of guns he obviously isn't looking for a large gun with a safety.

S&W is more ergonomic, Glock is very square which can impact how you carry it. Not sure where you are, so not sure on average clothing, really. I'm not a fan of the S&W myself, but I'd go Beretta PX4 over a glock, but that's me. Between your choices I'd say the Glock will be more long-term stable, more resale value, easier magazine availability, et cetera.

It really depends on what fits your hand though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

While I admire your choices, they are a little dated, those are what my dad carried when he was still serving in the army. For a concealable pistol I would go with a Glock 26, it is pretty popular in certain military units.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, he didn't say it wouldn't be locked up.

I keep my handgun in a nice safe bolted to the inside of my nightstand.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.