Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Could you live on $35 a day?

AU$35 US$36.75 EU27.90 (EDIT: for families)

AU$18 US$19 EU14.50. (for single students)

FULL STORY (sorry it isn't the official report but it stats the facts well enough)

Recently in Australia there was an all around reduction change to welfare benefits in which parents were set up to lose up to AU$110 in child payments when the child hits 8, this plan is to get back the employment. The base payment to "newstart" has been reduced so that a person out of work would be left with $35 a day to live which includes everything the person needs to live.

The government has admitted living on this would be difficult but again stated it's designed to get people into the work force which can be very difficult here. The story is about a government official saying she could live on $35 a day. She current earns ~$6300 a week, 25 times the amount she thinks she could live on.

I was wondering how this would be possible with the other currencies and could you live for several years on these payments.

P.S Story is a few days old but search found nothing so sorry if it's been posted before.

EDITED: to include single people because I didn't factor in this is mmo
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2013-01-03 at 03:05 PM.

Deleted
    No, not if you count electric, water, gas, etc...

Actually I have no idea how much stuffs costs over there so my post doesn't mean anything...sorry.

You just have to augment with odd jobs and robbery.

28 a day? yeah ofc you can.

Not nearly as hard as one may think, currently studying and looking for a job as i recently moved, while i have money in reserve the budget i set for myself is 400 euros a month (13 euros a day?), rent is payed.
    And that is enough, more than enough for all the bills (expect rent, again) and food, not lacking anything.

people just waste a lot of money in useless stuff (booze, tobacco, gas) so they lack the notion of how little money one actually "needs" and how much money you can put aside from a normal job.

Edit: Technically less than 13 a day, as 100 pounds (moved to the UK) goes for council tax (dont have the 28 hours a week school required to not pay it)
    Sitting in my warmed flat, after taking a bobble bath using my mx17 alienware with my 30mbs internet and eating this thai style curry i cooked.

people are just really silly with money usually.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-03 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    28 a day? yeah ofc you can.

Not nearly as hard as one may think, currently studying and looking for a job as i recently moved, while i have money in reserve the budget i set for myself is 400 euros a month (13 euros a day?), rent is payed.
    And that is enough, more than enough for all the bills (expect rent, again) and food, not lacking anything.

people just waste a lot of money in useless stuff (booze, tobacco, gas) so they lack the notion of how little money one actually "needs" and how much money you can put aside from a normal job.
    Are you paying for a house? As in paying of a loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    No, not if you count electric, water, gas, etc...

Actually I have no idea how much stuffs costs over there so my post doesn't mean anything...sorry.
    Yeah, that is how much you have per day for food, bills, clothes, rent, everything, even kids.

Deleted
    People really need to stop being lazy. I support those changes. Hopefully they introduce this in the UK, because there are so many people living on benefits for silly reasons. Benefits should only be for those who actually need them, the disabled, elderly and poor. Those who are fit to work should go out and look for a job instead of living off tax payers money.

Deleted
    Let's see, around 27.9 euros per day, that's in 10 days more then the medium salary in my country. So I'd say it would be easy to live on that. In my country.

yes, that is just under 6000 dkk (5941) a month (counting 30 days) the Danish SU (universal grants, money you receive for going to school basically) if you are going to university and are not living at home, you get 5753 dkk a month (before taxes) and I personally know several people who lives off that. of course you will not live wealthy, but you can live, without any issues.
    so, it is pretty much the same as going to school in Denmark, while being unemployed.

Welfare in Sweden is €344 excluding rent, there are plenty of people that manage to live on that for several years.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

he he he when some countries have a minimum wage of $5 US dollars having 35 for being unemployed doesn't seem so bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    AU$35 US$36.75 EU27.90

FULL STORY (sorry it isn't the official report but it stats the facts well enough)

Recently in Australia there was an all around reduction change to welfare benefits in which parents were set up to lose up to AU$110 in child payments when the child hits 8, this plan is to get back the employment. The base payment to "newstart" has been reduced so that a person out of work would be left with $35 a day to live which includes everything the person needs to live.

The government has admitted living on this would be difficult but again stated it's designed to get people into the work force which can be very difficult here. The story is about a government official saying she could live on $35 a day. She current earns ~$6300 a week, 25 times the amount she thinks she could live on.

I was wondering how this would be possible with the other currencies and could you live for several years on these payments.

P.S Story is a few days old but search found nothing so sorry if it's been posted before.
    Are there not also housing programs to go along with this? In the US, for example, you get foodstamps/unemployment insurance, but you also have access to Section 8 housing assistance if you're poor enough. I can't imagine that Australia only has one benefit program. If my housing were paid for I could make do with $35/day if need be.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

$35 bucks a day, let's just say 30 days is a month, to keep it simple. So that's $1,050/month. Nevermind, since I'm putting myself in this situation I'll use the US dollar, which gives me $1102 at that rate.

I spend for my wife and myself $150.00 on food for a month. So now I've got $952 left. Being able to afford a mortgage on welfare is stupid, so let's suppose I rent a cheap apartment for $500/mo. Most of those are utilities in, 'cept electricity, so $452 left. Roughly $75/mo for electricity (My winter electric bill for shitty baseboard heating in a 2600sqft house was 100/mo just now, so that number is probably a very high estimate, since half the time you can let your neighbors heat you). $377 left. Plenty to cover gas and insurance to be able to drive myself around looking for a job, even better if I was to take the bus.

What's the problem?

In the UK living off £22.63 a day does sound feasible but if we're including all of our bills I can imagine for those with a mortgage and car insurance as well as children this may not be enough but for people with less responsibility then I think this is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Are you paying for a house? As in paying of a loan.
    Nope, used my own money, as i said i did work before, but living for 6 months so far on 400 a month.
    The house rent is payed for, i do pay bills (electric, internet, water) no gas.
    I have no "need" to life off so little, i choose to, rather save money for my travels and whenever i see fit to move to another country.

Making loans... is a horrible decision, never, ever, ever accept loans

$35 a day would barely cover food. Wouldn't even begin to pay bills. But you know what? I fully support getting people back to work. Welfare should be to help you in a bad situation, people should never get paid to do nothing but lay on their backs and have kids.

Deleted
    Moved this to off topic from the wow forums.

On topic, yes, I think I could live on that per day as a single person if I had to, though I'd have to house share or move into a bedsit most likely and use public transport (since car tax/insurance is so high for me), I don't think you could rent your own apartment and pay all the bills for it here... but there are cheaper housing options and you certainly would be able to pay a basic rent, bills and food... wouldn't be anything left over for luxuries. It definitely wouldn't be enough to support any dependents though.

Deleted
    So that would be roughly 850 euros. I could easily live on that with some money left over at the end of the month, but then again, I have to pay only for myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    $35 a day would barely cover food. Wouldn't even begin to pay bills. But you know what? I fully support getting people back to work. Welfare should be to help you in a bad situation, people should never get paid to do nothing but lay on their backs and have kids.
    You know how much rice and ramen noodles you can eat on $35/day?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tedsterz View Post
    People really need to stop being lazy. I support those changes. Hopefully they introduce this in the UK, because there are so many people living on benefits for silly reasons. Benefits should only be for those who actually need them, the disabled, elderly and poor. Those who are fit to work should go out and look for a job instead of living off tax payers money.
    I should've done this to begin with but I'll put some perspective in because this is an expensive country to live. Basics like bread and milk will set you back $5+, a really low level rental place is $110. A one hour (return train trip) is $10. Petrol is around $1.40L (0.26gallon). I can't be bothered to find my utilitiy rate.

I actually lived on less then $35 a day, but I was a single student in a shared apartment and in the year I lost about 15kg because my food was noodles, noodles, noodles, bread and vegamite and i'd spoil myself with yogurt. I'd have around $10 left over as it's paid fortnightly. I was lucky because my mum was paying for my mobile and the rent included enough internet data.

I couldn't find work then, god damn did I try. So imagine now having a child in this situation, yes I know you shouldn't get pregnant if you can't afford it but it happens.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2013-01-03 at 02:56 PM.