Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    For a single young person living in a cheap rental apartment it is easily doable with money left to spare even in a reasonably expensive country. If you need tips on how to make it happen, look at the jobless university or college students.

It is arguable in some other situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    in my country? I would be living pretty well actually... way above average...

Deleted
    850€ per month is totally fine in the bigger european countries if you don't have to pay for others (family) and don't need a ride (either monthly bus-/railticket or a car... that can get quite expensive). And those 28€ per day, that's actually a fortune in east european countries, enough to support a whole family and a nice living.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Welfare in Sweden is €344 excluding rent, there are plenty of people that manage to live on that for several years.
    Include rent and all the other benefits of Sweden's welfare (most important: health care) and you probably end up in the same area.

Currently after paying all my bills I have about $6-10 a day to eat on.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    in my country? I would be living pretty well actually... way above average...
    same here, with such money per month you could pretty much have everything if you are single.

And sadly, because of such money many people arrive from countries with lower salary to live just on that with doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You know how much rice and ramen noodles you can eat on $35/day?
    I'm thinking specfically of families. If you think people should feed their kids nothing but rice and ramen then I'd say you would fit in fine in North Korea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Nope, used my own money, as i said i did work before, but living for 6 months so far on 400 a month.
    The house rent is payed for, i do pay bills (electric, internet, water) no gas.
    I have no "need" to life off so little, i choose to, rather save money for my travels and whenever i see fit to move to another country.

Making loans... is a horrible decision, never, ever, ever accept loans
    Let's talk again if you want to get a house when you are married. Renting is 10x worse as it is wasted money.

As in the amount of money, unless you live there it's hard to say as every country has a different value on money.

Deleted
    Yes, everyone could. People who say no simply don't understand how. It's not supposed to be luxurious, it's supposed to be bare minimum.

Deleted
    35 dollars a day? In my country, the average job brings you less than half of that per day. As a matter of fact, 450 euros/month in my country is a very well payed job.
    And yea tbh, I'd be living damn sweet to be alone and earn that much every day...

Deleted
    I live for less (around 25$) and I am missing absolutely nothing in my life. It's student welfare here and after the bills are payed i still have plenty to buy food go to the movie, restaurants and whatnot. I live in a 3 room apartment in the city with my gf who is also on student welfare.

Deleted
    using my mx17 alienware

people are just really silly with money usually.
    they sure are...

Deleted
    Yes. 35$/day = 1050$ a month. Very doable. It obviously lower your living standards, but you must forget this is welfare.

On top of that Australia#s economy is VERY strong at the moment. Jobs are very much available (maybe not if you're going to be selective but there are plenty available there). People not working are considered lazy by many in australia. Note that minimum wage is roughly 12$ an hour there, so being stingy on job choices is almost a non issue.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2013-01-03 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    i live off 120€ per month with a baby. So Im quite sure that its more than doable. Even with the rent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I'm thinking specfically of families. If you think people should feed their kids nothing but rice and ramen then I'd say you would fit in fine in North Korea.
    As far as I understood the OP, that $35/day wasn't for a full family, but rather one person. Living on government assistance isn't supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to keep you alive and in sufficient condition to be able to go out and search for a job. But if you need more than the rice and ramen, you can get some thin sliced beef round steak at the grocery store for $5 that'll last you 5 days if sliced up and added to the rice. If you need a veggie, you can get frozen broccoli at a similar price-per-day.

When I bought my first new car, I was worried about my expenses so I decided to live on only $2 per meal, or $6/day. You know what I ate on that? Corn dogs, nacho cheese fries, ramen, and chicken nuggets. I lost like 20 pounds doing that, but I wasn't going to die from it.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-01-03 at 03:03 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm yes in fact I could, and I have lived for less than that before. When I was on welfare for a year or so when I got settled.
    Never was really hard for me, I don't drink, don't smoke etc, don't have a mortgage or car.

I have very few expenditures, rent, electricity (that I hardly use), Internet and my phone (also hardly use). Obviously food and some clothes as well.

I am "rich" with a regular job, feels great. To bad regular jobs are boring, someday I will do something more interesting hopefully

people just waste a lot of money in useless stuff (booze, tobacco, gas) so they lack the notion of how little money one actually "needs" and how much money you can put aside from a normal job.
    Gas doesn't really fit into the same category as liquor and tobacco. Although I agree it is like pretty much throwing money away, it is a necessity in life to someone who owns a vehicle, no different than power if you own/rent a home.
    Last edited by Dsfunctional; 2013-01-03 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling error.

Where I live, rent+utilities+vehicle+food+gas(just to get back and forth to work and grocery store) comes to 59.46 a day.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    For a single young person living in a cheap rent apartment it is easily doable with money left to spare. It is arguable in some other situations.
    Yep, I can do it very comfortably. I can live at either my parents or two other friends' places in different towns, giving good work coverage, for $100/wk including electricity/water/phone+internet. That leaves a comfortable $145 for food/fuel(which I don't need in one of those places as everything is within 15min walk)/other expenses, assuming it includes weekends. Don't drink too often, don't smoke and be stingy with your gaming and you'll be sitting pretty.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2013-01-03 at 03:03 PM.

Deleted
    I am living on less than that, in a country where it is rather expensive to live in - Finland. I don't really have issues with coping.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    If you would get enough to live with family and could afford most of things you need, then why should you even consider to get work? Hell, such live would be just a dream, do nothing and government gives you money to live for nothing.. good system.