Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    I'm in France, and the minimum amount for people who don't work is 475€ / month. Although you can also get some money to help you with your rent if you don't live with friends or family. The amount you mention, AU$18 US$19 EU14.50 per day, translates to 435€ / month.

I can say without a doubt that yes, you CAN live off that amount. I know people who do, in fact. Usually, they live with friends & family, or they share cheap accomodation (which costs about 200€/month). I don't know about Australia, but it feels to me like it's much easier in France than, say for example America, to live with little money. You get free healthcare & free transportation, as well as support for your rent, up to about 200€ / month : you can't get the economy running if you're ill, can't go to your workplace or don't have a place to live.

Also, if you get a part-time job, your welfare does not go away. The amount of the welfare is incrementally reduced as your job's wage increases. It's a really powerful tool, because it means that you aren't deterred from working a few hours a week. Before we had that tool, it was more profitable for someone to not work than to work a few hours a week.

PS : i'm not trying to say my country is awesome and superior to any other, i'm just explaining how it works here, so that i can further explain why i believe you CAN live off 14.50€ / day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Yes, everyone could. People who say no simply don't understand how. It's not supposed to be luxurious, it's supposed to be bare minimum.
    Yeah, my super awesome luxurious medical/monthly dr. appointments/prescription costs. Not to mention how to get there from the boonies or vehicle costs/gas/insurance/etc.

Mmm. I revel in the luxury & yumminess & giggle at the sheer fun of waste on my health. Ahh, luxury at its finest.

Sorry OP, the thread is too vague and open. It depends heavily on where you live and if you have any medical conditions or a family.

Even single and healthy this becomes very subjective. There are some areas in the US where you could live off $20 a day, then there are other where you couldn't do it even at $60 a day.

19*30 is 570$ US a month. If that needs to include rent, then I highly doubt it. If it does not include rent then yes I could get by.

Deleted
    After monthly rent, I live with maybe 10€ per day on average. Works if you are a single guy with no need for special luxury and don't drink, smoke or hang out in bars every night.

Spending 35$/40€ every day would drain me very quickly.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2013-01-07 at 06:44 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live on about $10-30AUD a day easily.

Sometimes even less.

It really is not too hard.

If I was homeless it would be ridiculously easy to live on that much. With a house, taxes, utilities and bills though? LOL NOPE. Not without piling up more debt at least. That is, if you are living in a decent area without anyone to share the rent with.
    I lived on 3-5 grand a year without going on welfare all thorough the 80's while I was living and working in one of the shittiest parts of Memphis. I had roommates to share the low rent and food bills with most of the time which made it a little easier.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2013-01-07 at 06:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's only for food. But if it's for everything, I assume it's 35x30~ so around 1000?
    Totally depends what you need to get with that money. If it doesn't count the rent, then I atleast could manage.
    My bills currently are phonebill 40+€, 40€ internet and a travelling card 25€.

So basically i'm left with 900 in a month. Not a problem, spent last year 600€ in a month to food, and our eating habits are fucking ridiculous. And we got 2 kids.
    I think I could alone suppress the money needed to food to somewhere around 120€/month. Then again I spend 120€ to smokes in a month.

But if it doesn't count the rent, then it's way too little. People are in very tight situation if they got 1k to pay everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Maybe he took the numbers for a single person rather than for a family?

People not really reading the OP, just the title of the thread.
    That number wasn't in the OP when I first read it, it must have been edited later. Sorry I don't check daily for edits.