Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Isnt it the leading cause of obesity in America?
    Potentially. I think the leading cause of obesity is cheap plentiful non-nutritious food that is over-eaten with lack of regard to the consequences. Again, apathy and ignorance.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    High Fructose Corn Syrup is not good for you in any way. Hell sugar isn't good for you either. Honey is really the only sweetener that is actually good for you.
    Lol, that's funny why would honey be any better than cane sugar or HFCS? All honey is, is sugar.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    that is actually illegal in the US. maybe not in the EU. except that HFCS is a natural ingredient.
    EU food regulations have far to many loop holes which companies exploit, another example is chicken Kiev in England can have as low as 4% chicken content, with the rest of the meat content being.. well anything, its quite disgusting actually.

  4. #24
    Honey is bee barf. It has additives - but yeah, generally speaking, it's just sugar. Tasty sugar though.

  5. #25
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    whats unbelievably shocking is the fact that, it is NOT against EU regulations to market an item using slogans like "made with real sugar!" and "no artificial ingredients!" but still use HFCS in your product, coca cola is a perfect example of this in fact. the can of coca cola in front of me on the ingredients has sugar listed, however my lab tests for my research assignment proved that sugar was present in extremely low amounts (we're talking 1-2%) and HFCS was present in much higher percentage values, even though HFCS was not listed as an ingredient.
    Really? I thought only the US used HFCS. Due to the US having their corn subsidies. I imagine your country must have something that makes it more profitable to use rather than cane sugar?

  6. #26
    Herald of the Titans Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Lol, that's funny why would honey be any better than cane sugar or HFCS? All honey is, is sugar.
    But its sweet succulent sugar in hUniE!

    Who loves soppapias and honey??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!


    <------ This guy does.

  7. #27
    Pretty sure it's bad for you.

    But so is water in large amounts, eating lots of carrots turn you orange...

    I've been eating things with HFCS my whole life, and I'm not dead yet.

    Aveline's amazing work!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    no literally it just changes
    The initial catabolism of fructose is sometimes referred to as fructolysis, in analogy with glycolysis, the catabolism of glucose. In fructolysis, the enzyme fructokinase initially produces fructose 1-phosphate, which is split by aldolase B to produce the trioses dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde [2]. Unlike glycolysis, in fructolysis the triose glyceraldehyde lacks a phosphate group. A third enzyme, triokinase, is therefore required to phosphorylate glyceraldehyde, producing glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate. The resulting trioses are identical to those obtained in glycolysis and can enter the gluconeogenic pathway for glucose or glycogen synthesis, or be further catabolized through the lower glycolytic pathway to pyruvate.
    However the byproducts from the resultant change are toxic.

  9. #29
    It is a fake sugar product so of course it is bad and worse tasting than the real stuff. Lets be serious here it isnt used because of the flavor of it since if that was the case we wouldnt ever see retro old school cans of soda sweetened with real sugar.

    We get it as part of the insane farm socialism program in the USA that makes it so corn producers in the high wage land of Mexico cant compete in selling the corn. In case you missed it, Mexico does NOT have good wages or the illegal immigration would go the other way. Just putting that info out there for the extreme right wingers that will fail to see what the farm socialism system in the USA does on a broader scale.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmoplayer111 View Post
    However the byproducts from the resultant change are toxic.
    how could they be when all they are doign is changing the shape from fuctose to glucose there are no bi products they are shape changing enzymes. becuase all 3 mono-sacharides are C6H12O6 chemically.

  11. #31
    HFCS and sugar are both sweeteners and both contribute to Type II diabetes if taken in excess. However, as somebody already pointed out, HFCS is much cheaper than cane or beet sugar, which means it can be used in far greater amounts. A can of Coca Cola in Canada, if my memory serves me, contains nearly 40 grams of sugar (maybe more) and there are an awful lot of people out there who chug the stuff like water.

    As an aside, the curious among you might be asking yourselves, "Why is HFCS so cheap in America?" Corn subsidies are a contributing factor and so are the USA's extremely high tariffs on foreign sugar. In fact, there are lobbies in Washington dedicated to keeping sugar tariffs high.

    Anyway, don't stuff your faces full of sweets.

  12. #32
    Personally I won't touch it and stay away from it any chance that I can. But like almost anything else that anything is bad if done out of moderation.


    WOW Armory Link

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    It is a fake sugar product so of course it is bad and worse tasting than the real stuff. Lets be serious here it isnt used because of the flavor of it since if that was the case we wouldnt ever see retro old school cans of soda sweetened with real sugar.

    We get it as part of the insane farm socialism program in the USA that makes it so corn producers in the high wage land of Mexico cant compete in selling the corn. In case you missed it, Mexico does NOT have good wages or the illegal immigration would go the other way. Just putting that info out there for the extreme right wingers that will fail to see what the farm socialism system in the USA does on a broader scale.
    its not a fake sugar product.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    It's cheaper than sugar. People want cheap products. HFCS isn't going anywhere as long as we're apathetic and ignorant.

    And i rather pay for quality. i can pay a LOT more for quality vs cheap walmart produced crap that is nothing but chemical engineering

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 07:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    its not a fake sugar product.
    It is not sugar despite what the corn industry mafia tells you. hence it is fake sugar. if it isnt REAL SUGAR from sugar cane and or beets it is FAKE.

  15. #35
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    15,881
    You really need to ask? Pretty bad shit.....
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  16. #36
    Dreadlord the0o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Zangarmarsh
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    As someone who's recently done a 5000 word assignment on this subject in particular, i can give an opinion on the matter. based on my research (very thorough, took a good month to complete to a high quality standard) it appears that in small doses is medically fine, however in larger quantities the high amount of glucose is extremely dangerous to the body, causing cardiovascular issues and even diabetes. however its also extremely dependent on the type of HFCS that you are talking about, as there are a few different types with different glucose to fructose balances.
    Would you mind posting your work so we can read it?

    "Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"


  17. #37
    Brewmaster Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,313
    It's no worse or better for you then any sugar.
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    And i rather pay for quality. i can pay a LOT more for quality vs cheap walmart produced crap that is nothing but chemical engineering

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 07:27 PM ----------

    It is not sugar despite what the corn industry mafia tells you. hence it is fake sugar. if it isnt REAL SUGAR from sugar cane and or beets it is FAKE.
    Except that's not true no matter what you say a sugar is are sweet carbohydrates, like glucose, and fructose, and galactose, and then disacharides made from those like sucrose, and lactose.

    HFCS is made up of fructose and glucose, so yes its made of real sugars.

  19. #39
    Brewmaster Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Except that's not true no matter what you say a sugar is are sweet carbohydrates, like glucose, and fructose, and galactose, and then disacharides made from those like sucrose, and lactose.

    HFCS is made up of fructose and glucose, so yes its made of real sugars.
    How dare you use logic and reason in an internet forum!
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

  20. #40
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Except that's not true no matter what you say a sugar is are sweet carbohydrates, like glucose, and fructose, and galactose, and then disacharides made from those like sucrose, and lactose.

    HFCS is made up of fructose and glucose, so yes its made of real sugars.
    Next you tell me the peanut is actually a pea not a nut!?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •