Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament View Post
    High Fructose corn syrup is a bi-product of corn which has been created through a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) - so basically it is not natural.
    no its created with natural enzymes to turn corn startch into corn syrup then into HFCS with another enzyme. So basically its natural and if you have it in your food products you are allowed to claim that the product is natural.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Wahahahahahahahahahaha.... That's a joke right? Life expectancy 500 years ago was about 35 years old. Today it's around ~70. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    If you had read his following posts, you would know it was a joke. Not to mention, someone claiming modern medicine is reducing life expectancy? Your sarcasm detectors should have been blaring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    no its created with natural enzymes to turn corn startch into corn syrup then into HFCS with another enzyme. So basically its natural and if you have it in your food products you are allowed to claim that the product is natural.

Not exactly true: Link http://www.stonyfield.com/healthy-pe...ose-corn-syrup

HFCS is not found in nature

HFCS is an inexpensive sweetener made from genetically-modified corn. It’s enzymatically processed from cornstarch into a liquid sweetener. One or two of the enzymes are also genetically engineered. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) provides no definition of what the word "natural" means and does not regulate its use on labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament View Post
    Not exactly true: Link http://www.stonyfield.com/healthy-pe...ose-corn-syrup

HFCS is not found in nature

HFCS is an inexpensive sweetener made from genetically-modified corn. It’s enzymatically processed from cornstarch into a liquid sweetener. One or two of the enzymes are also genetically engineered. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) provides no definition of what the word "natural" means and does not regulate its use on labels.
    it doesnt have to made from GMO corn, also there is nothing with GMO corn.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

It's 5% worse for you than sucralose (sugar)

HFCS is 55% Fructose and 45% Glucose. Table sugar is 50/50.

Fructose is, apparently, pretty bad for you, especially in high quantities, but for all intents and purposes HFCS is basically sugar, in a syrup form, with 5% more fructose than glucose. Your body turns all the fructose into glucose anyways, but there's something left behind in the process and can cause problems, or some such. It's been forever since I've read about it.

If HFCS were 90/10 (which, it is, but they blend HFCS90 to HFCS 45 to make HFCS55) then there'd be cause for alarm.

I love how people are droning on about how it's "unnatural" where as sugar "is natural." The chemical composition of it is all that matters in the end, and in the end sugar is 50/50 and HFCS is 55/45.

Protip: Everything can, and eventually will, kill you. People need to calm down.
    Last edited by Dirgon; 2013-01-03 at 09:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's from Monsanto corn. Monsanto doesn't feed its own employees anything containing their corn or HFCS derived from their corn. Their cafeterias are strictly Monsanto corn free "for health reasons". Their cafeterias are also free of any Genetically Modified foods, period, "for health reasons".

There have been numerous studies showing that the fructose derived from the starch is harder for our bodies to process into energy, so rather than being used in glycolysis it is converted directly into fat. There have been other studies conducted showing various negative effects of eating large amounts of HFCS. The results vary based on species and individual, but it's become quite clear that adverse reactions to HFCS are becoming quite common.

it doesnt have to made from GMO corn, also there is nothing with GMO corn.
    Most of the corn grown in the US is GMO, and nearly all of the HFCS is from GMO corn. Namely Monsanto. Those giant, golden yellow corn cobs that are about 4-5x the size that they were 50 years ago that is also incredibly resistant to insects and disease.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-01-03 at 09:33 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    It's from Monsanto corn. Monsanto doesn't feed its own employees anything containing their corn or HFCS derived from their corn. Their cafeterias are strictly Monsanto corn free "for health reasons". Their cafeterias are also free of any Genetically Modified foods, period, "for health reasons".

There have been numerous studies showing that the fructose derived from the starch is harder for our bodies to process into energy, so rather than being used in glycolysis it is converted directly into fat. There have been other studies conducted showing various negative effects of eating large amounts of HFCS. The results vary based on species and individual, but it's become quite clear that adverse reactions to HFCS are becoming quite common.
    there are also numerous studies showing that its just fine, and is the same as cane sugar so what of it?

Also the monsanto don't eat their own corn myth was debunked years ago. So don't spread it because its false information.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    There have been other studies conducted showing various negative effects of eating large amounts of HFCS.
    And common sense tells you there's a serious negative effect of eating large amounts of sugar. What's your point?

I'm sick of people railing on GMO crops. Without GMO crops we cannot sustain a food supply that can feed the population of this world, and I don't know about you, but letting third world countries starve because you're scared of a boogey man doesn't sit right with me.

do you know an old word for the practice of GMO is husbandry, its been done for thousands of years.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

do you know an old word for the practice of GMO is husbandry, its been done for thousands of years.
    Oh oh oh, is it breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Oh oh oh, is it breeding?
    yup we have been genetically modifying organisms since the domestication of animals and the beginnings of agriculture.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Not quite in the way and scale it is done today however, one thing is to give a nudge towards a certain direction via selective breeding, the flora has time to adapt, another is to insert foreign genes without understanding the possible consequences of it.

Anyway, meh, its high caloric, avoid it.
    Moderation in everything, and it is true that our diets today have waaaay too much sugar.

Also, one has to keep in mind the idea of lethal dose, as a chemist myself i have a love hate relationship with it, and how it is used.
    In a very resume way it is defined by an amount of a substance given in a period of time that will cause death.

Now, many poisons arent deadly until a certain point, does not mean however, that they are harmless.

There are many substances used that are quite toxic, but are legal because they are far bellow toxicity levels, however in many cases, that is assuming a person doesnt exceed the "daily dose" suggested by the maker, or that the person isnt constantly eating it.

bioaccumulation is a real thing, one of the reasons why people on crash diets suffer toxic shocks, the fatty tissue also stores certain toxins who are put there to diminish their effect on the body, to neutralize since they didnt get expelled.

What im trying to say is, a lot of things that should never be in food are, because by lingo and definition they are acceptable, they are however still harmful and will aggravate problems.
    There was this very interesting article on Scientific American on how aluminum was found in virtually all Alzheimer patients brains, aluminum is not able to cross the blood-brain-barrier by itself and it is suggested that it can when bound to citric acid.
    Now, what do almost all sodas have for acidity? citric acid.
    Where are many sodas contained in? aluminum cans.
    This doesnt come from a silly site, it comes from a respected magazine with quite a lot of review.

One will die, that is inevitable, but suffering is a choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, we're comparing selective breeding which takes many generations to taking a gene from an animal and putting it in a plant? I'm all for scientific advancement, I'm not a religious nut, but when it starts affecting health in negative ways, I don't really see why you'd prescribe to the articles funded by multi billion dollar food corporations over those done by independent universities.

As has been said, I'm not sure why you'd have large amounts of any sugar anyway. I'm not looking to have diabetes by age 30.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

This is where you step into bullshit. Genetic engineering whereby you actually manipulate the genome is far and away different from husbandry. The former can make glow-in-the-dark cats. (which is fucking cool)

Not that there is anything in particular that makes a GMO bad, it's just that trying to say it's the same thing as husbandry is dishonest.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2013-01-03 at 10:03 PM.

I love the taste of obesity and other health problems in the morning!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the hell do people care that stuff is genetically modified? We've practiced artificial selection on crops and animals for millennia.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why the hell do people care that stuff is genetically modified? We've practiced artificial selection on crops and animals for millennia.
    'cause they aren't the same thing. The processes used by humans to cultivate specific crops would still be prone to natural law. We wouldn't be able to mix the DNA of fish into cats, for example. Some genes can have unpredicted effects on the resultant organism and thus we should proceed with caution on the matter. The biggest problem (given that unpredicted effects can be checked for before stuff is consumed) is identical genetic structure and the wiping out of biodiversity. While genetic modification can be good, we shouldn't use it to the extent that all of our crops are essentially the same lineage or else we leave them vulnerable to disease. See bananas.

And the idea of them being hybrids and controlled is not good either.
    Those seeds cannot generate offspring, you cant use the previous crop to plant a new crop, to me that is a massive flaw and will likely result in some big problem to some generation.

Reducing self sufficiency is always a bad idea, and putting your faith and food in the hands of a corporation, specially one with such ill repute as Monsanto, seems like a nice recipe for a clusterfck pizza with a side of crap salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    And the idea of them being hybrids and controlled is not good either.
    Those seeds cannot generate offspring, you cant use the previous crop to plant a new crop, to me that is a massive flaw and will likely result in some big problem to some generation.
    Only the ones that are genetically engineered to be like that, which is done for business reasons IIRC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    'cause they aren't the same thing. The processes used by humans to cultivate specific crops would still be prone to natural law. We wouldn't be able to mix the DNA of fish into cats, for example. Some genes can have unpredicted effects on the resultant organism and thus we should proceed with caution on the matter. The biggest problem (given that unpredicted effects can be checked for before stuff is consumed) is identical genetic structure and the wiping out of biodiversity. While genetic modification can be good, we shouldn't use it to the extent that all of our crops are essentially the same lineage or else we leave them vulnerable to disease. See bananas.
    While I agree that biodiversity is a concern, luckily we have the ability to genetically manipulate our plants now in the case of a serious disease. Even then, I see the point that you don't want to have too little diversity for a variety of reasons.

That said, I don't see why people are afraid of consuming GMO foods. It just strikes me as completely illogical fear with a lack of good evidence showing the detrimental effects of those foods on humans.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!