Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Exclamation High Fructose Corn Syrup Good or Bad?

With so many mixed studies it's really hard to tell exactly what this substance is doing to us. I personally am against it but there're a million studies out their to prove me both correct and incorrect.

So what's you take on it?

My take on it is that it's worse for you (and worse tasting) than sugar.

my take on it is that its approximately the same as sugar.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Worse for you than sugar. Doesn't make sugar good for you though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strictly going on the few articles I have read or glanced at, there seems to be emerging theories that all types of sugar have significant impact on systems such as the neurological system. I know high fructose has been under fire a lot lately but I think (keyword: think) that all forms may have a higher impact than ever believed. Sort of amazing that we haven't studied this topic a bit more before shoving sugar in every damn food possible (seriously, they put sugar into cans of corn for more sweetness [um, hello corn syrup and corns own natural sweetness]).

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

Quote Originally Posted by Nymie View Post
    Strictly going on the few articles I have read or glanced at, there seems to be emerging theories that all types of sugar have significant impact on systems such as the neurological system. I know high fructose has been under fire a lot lately but I think (keyword: think) that all forms may have a higher impact than ever believed. Sort of amazing that we haven't studied this topic a bit more before shoving sugar in every damn food possible (seriously, they put sugar into cans of corn for more sweetness [um, hello corn syrup and corns own natural sweetness]).
    but corn syrup is made by changing the starch in corn into sugar.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    As someone who's recently done a 5000 word assignment on this subject in particular, i can give an opinion on the matter. based on my research (very thorough, took a good month to complete to a high quality standard) it appears that in small doses is medically fine, however in larger quantities the high amount of glucose is extremely dangerous to the body, causing cardiovascular issues and even diabetes. however its also extremely dependent on the type of HFCS that you are talking about, as there are a few different types with different glucose to fructose balances.

Truth is, it's bad for you. But then so is any sugar in the amounts we eat it. We were never meant to consume Sugar in any form as much as we do. Biochemically speaking Fructose metabolizes in your cells the same way alcohol does.

Someone who can explain in great detail what you are doing to your body with sugar in it's various forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

A shorter version of the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMjKEncojQ
    Last edited by Mmoplayer111; 2013-01-03 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmoplayer111 View Post
    Truth is, it's bad for you. But then so is any sugar in the amounts we eat it. We were never meant to consume Sugar in any form as much as we do. Biochemically speaking Fructose metabolizes in your cells the same way alcohol does. The only natural form of sugar we are designed to handle is Glucose which makes sense considering our Liver can produce it.
    Biochemically no, your body just changes the fructose to glucose then you use it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Take a biochemistry course and see why it is so bad.

It isn't just calories, fructose specifically has hormonal type effects on metabolism for regulating glucose in the body. Overdosing mice with the stuff gives them Type II diabetes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Biochemically no, your body just changes the fructose to glucose then you use it.
    "Just changes" not an accurate representation of the full effects.

Deleted
    whats unbelievably shocking is the fact that, it is NOT against EU regulations to market an item using slogans like "made with real sugar!" and "no artificial ingredients!" but still use HFCS in your product, coca cola is a perfect example of this in fact. the can of coca cola in front of me on the ingredients has sugar listed, however my lab tests for my research assignment proved that sugar was present in extremely low amounts (we're talking 1-2%) and HFCS was present in much higher percentage values, even though HFCS was not listed as an ingredient.

It's cheaper than sugar. People want cheap products. HFCS isn't going anywhere as long as we're apathetic and ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    "Just changes" not an accurate representation of the full effects.
    no literally it just changes
    The initial catabolism of fructose is sometimes referred to as fructolysis, in analogy with glycolysis, the catabolism of glucose. In fructolysis, the enzyme fructokinase initially produces fructose 1-phosphate, which is split by aldolase B to produce the trioses dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde [2]. Unlike glycolysis, in fructolysis the triose glyceraldehyde lacks a phosphate group. A third enzyme, triokinase, is therefore required to phosphorylate glyceraldehyde, producing glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate. The resulting trioses are identical to those obtained in glycolysis and can enter the gluconeogenic pathway for glucose or glycogen synthesis, or be further catabolized through the lower glycolytic pathway to pyruvate.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Isnt it the leading cause of obesity in America?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    whats unbelievably shocking is the fact that, it is NOT against EU regulations to market an item using slogans like "made with real sugar!" and "no artificial ingredients!" but still use HFCS in your product, coca cola is a perfect example of this in fact. the can of coca cola in front of me on the ingredients has sugar listed, however my lab tests for my research assignment proved that sugar was present in extremely low amounts (we're talking 1-2%) and HFCS was present in much higher percentage values, even though HFCS was not listed as an ingredient.
    that is actually illegal in the US. maybe not in the EU. except that HFCS is a natural ingredient.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    but corn syrup is made by changing the starch in corn into sugar.
    I am merely saying corn is already sweet. /swoosh

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

10+ Year Old Account
    High Fructose Corn Syrup is not good for you in any way. Hell sugar isn't good for you either. Honey is really the only sweetener that is actually good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Isnt it the leading cause of obesity in America?
    Potentially. I think the leading cause of obesity is cheap plentiful non-nutritious food that is over-eaten with lack of regard to the consequences. Again, apathy and ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    High Fructose Corn Syrup is not good for you in any way. Hell sugar isn't good for you either. Honey is really the only sweetener that is actually good for you.
    Lol, that's funny why would honey be any better than cane sugar or HFCS? All honey is, is sugar.
    Gamdwelf the Mage