Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    There's some merit to your point, but unfortunately it's not entirely correct. ALL crops on which pesticides are used retain some amount of residue in the portion we eat, but the amount does vary between crops in a manner that's partly related to the type of crop and what portions of it we eat, etc.

In any case, it's been tested and proven that pesticide residues are present in the food that ultimately makes it to the supermarket. For further info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_residue

The other significant issue I'd like to touch on is that not all pesticides are applied externally-

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

Some forms of systemic pesticides are applied to the seeds and remain part of the plant through its entire life without need for further application. Yum.
    well that's the choice you get to make do you want your food to have a tiny amount of pesticide in it, or to be chewed up by bugs?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    HFC is probably the worst sweetner in existence from a health (and some might say taste) standpoint. I don't have the studies on top of my head, but as I understand it HFC promotes a far more extreme insulin response than other types of sugar.

Why I try to avoid things with HFC, however, is primarily from a taste standpoint. Any soda connoisseur knows that HFC soda is inferior owing to the sticky texture and aftertaste, compared to the sharper 'snap' from cane sugar based drinks.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    well that's the choice you get to make do you want your food to have a tiny amount of pesticide in it, or to be chewed up by bugs?
    Rather have the pesticide, to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    HFC is probably the worst sweetner in existence from a health (and some might say taste) standpoint. I don't have the studies on top of my head, but as I understand it HFC promotes a far more extreme insulin response than other types of sugar.

Why I try to avoid things with HFC, however, is primarily from a taste standpoint. Any soda connoisseur knows that HFC soda is inferior owing to the sticky texture and aftertaste, compared to the sharper 'snap' from cane sugar based drinks.
    not necessarily, its all mouth-feel preference I'm sure some people prefer the mouth-feel of HFCS. Also its the same as cane sugar for health reasons because its basically chemically the same.

If anything its healthier because you can use less grams of HFCS to get the same amount of sweetness.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-01-04 at 05:20 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    not necessarily, its all mouth-feel preference I'm sure some people prefer the mouth-feel of HFCS. Also its the same as cane sugar for health reasons because its basically chemically the same.

If anything its healthier because you can use less grams of HFCS to get the same amount of sweetness.
    Probably the same people who prefer Forrest Gump to Pulp Fiction. Classless bogans.

Chemically it is -similar-, as all sugars are, but the vastly higher sweetness seems to fuck with the insulin response.

Carbs are bad, anyway.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Probably the same people who prefer Forrest Gump to Pulp Fiction. Classless bogans.

Chemically it is -similar-, as all sugars are, but the vastly higher sweetness seems to fuck with the insulin response.

Carbs are bad, anyway.
    It does not have vastly higher sweetness, just a little.

carbs are not bad anyway. They are the most usable source of energy the human body can use.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    It does not have vastly higher sweetness, just a little.

carbs are not bad anyway. They are the most usable source of energy the human body can use.
    It takes the sugar equivalent of around twenty red apples to match the sweetness of a cup of HFC. The sweetness is a lot higher.

I take stock in Taubes' research. Carbs should be restricted.

HFCS added to juices made me nauseous. HFCS in carbonated beverages just tastes wrong to me. I'm not a fan of the stuff, between those two. So it's not even really a matter of deep health concerns, it's just one more thing my body doesn't appreciate so it's another thing I tend to avoid if I can help it. I should certainly pay more attention to the ingredient lists on the products we buy, though.

Vaguely related, I wish fresh fruits and vegetables had chemical lists on them so I could figure out this plant-matter allergy I have. <_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    HFCS added to juices made me nauseous. HFCS in carbonated beverages just tastes wrong to me. I'm not a fan of the stuff, between those two. So it's not even really a matter of deep health concerns, it's just one more thing my body doesn't appreciate so it's another thing I tend to avoid if I can help it. I should certainly pay more attention to the ingredient lists on the products we buy, though.

Vaguely related, I wish fresh fruits and vegetables had chemical lists on them so I could figure out this plant-matter allergy I have. <_<
    Like I said, sugar based sodas taste far superior.

It takes the sugar equivalent of around twenty red apples to match the sweetness of a cup of HFC. The sweetness is a lot higher.

I take stock in Taubes' research. Carbs should be restricted.
    actually the sugar in apples is 2:1 fructose:glucose and is probably more sweet than 1 cup of HFCS. where the ratio of HFCS can differ by solution but the most used is 55:45

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 05:30 PM ----------

Like I said, sugar based sodas taste far superior.
    HFCS is sugar.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    HFCS is sugar.
    Cane sugar, cease your nitpicking.

You know you can go to your local walmart and buy a bottle of actual corn syrup.
    Once you get a good look at it in it's full glory I doubt you would ever choose to use it in place of sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    You know you can go to your local walmart and buy a bottle of actual corn syrup.
    Once you get a good look at it in it's full glory I doubt you would ever choose to use it in place of sugar.
    Corn Syrup isn't the same as HFCS though.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    While the health pros and cons are open to debate, I find that drinks etc with actual sugar taste better and have a far better viscosity. The only reason anyone uses corn syrup is because of stupid outdated farm subsidies making it cheaper then dirt. End the payout to farmers (most of whom are massive corporations) who dont want to actually farm and the issue goes away.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-01-04 at 05:45 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    While the health pros and cons are open to debate, I find that drinks etc with actual sugar taste better and have a far better viscosity. The only reason anyone uses corn syrup is because of stupid outdated farm subsidies making it cheaper then dirt. And the payout to farmers (most of whom are massive corporations) who dont want to actually farm and the issue goes away.
    Pretty much this combined with import tariffs on Cane Sugar.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

If nothing else, high fructose corn sugar is an indicator that you're eating a corner-cutting food product. It's likely to not be very natural in other departments, and likely to just use flavor additives rather than the actual food trying to be mimicked. In general it's probably smart to veer clear. For a fun experiment, see if you can actually find a syrup in the grocery store made of syrup. There's maybe 1 option at my local grocer. Same goes for jams and jellies. If you want to eat food made from food, it can prove to be a difficult challenge.

Deleted
    Cane sugar, cease your nitpicking.
    Pretty sure it doesn't matter where its from - Fructose is Fructose. Fructose in your honey is the same as in your HFCS, the only difference is the corn syrup part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Pretty sure it doesn't matter where its from - Fructose is Fructose. Fructose in your honey is the same as in your HFCS, the only difference is the corn syrup part.
    Cane sugar is sucrose, not fructose.

sucrose is fructose and glucose in a really weak bond. Honey is fructose and glucose and a smaller percentage of other sugars disolved in water just like HFCS, in about the same ratios.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    You were quoting HFCS - "High Fructose"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    C12H22O11
    vs
    C6H12O6

chemically very different.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-