Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmoplayer111 View Post
    The reason why people are afraid of GMO crops is simple. The testing is far from conclusive as to the effects on our own genome of these crops.

    In the case of selective breeding as someone else mentioned you cannot crossbreed incompatible genetics. One concern with GMO is this, "Roundup Ready" crops, which Monsanto already creates. I am unwilling to accept that just because they have genetically made the crop itself immune to an herbicide that somehow that toxin is not present in the flesh of the plant when I eat it because last I checked I have not been genetically modified to resist it.
    why would it have any effect on our own genome, if you eat a pig do you turn into a pig or something, so if you ate corn with a tiny bit of pig DNA would it turn you into a pig, no, that is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

    also the outside of the crops are sprayed thats why you wash fruits and vegitables are washed before you eat them, and for many fruits and vegitables you don't even eat the skin, the only place pesticides would be.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-01-04 at 03:39 AM.

  2. #102
    Legendary! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    6,007
    It's about the same as sugar statistically.

    I think sugar products affect people differently. Some people can drink pop and eat candy all day everyday and remain perfectly healthy and some can't.


  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    also the outside of the crops are sprayed thats why you wash fruits and vegitables are washed before you eat them, and for many fruits and vegitables you don't even eat the skin, the only place pesticides would be.
    There's some merit to your point, but unfortunately it's not entirely correct. ALL crops on which pesticides are used retain some amount of residue in the portion we eat, but the amount does vary between crops in a manner that's partly related to the type of crop and what portions of it we eat, etc.

    In any case, it's been tested and proven that pesticide residues are present in the food that ultimately makes it to the supermarket. For further info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_residue

    The other significant issue I'd like to touch on is that not all pesticides are applied externally-

    A systemic pesticide moves inside a plant following absorption by the plant. With insecticides and most fungicides, this movement is usually upward (through the xylem) and outward. Increased efficiency may be a result.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

    Some forms of systemic pesticides are applied to the seeds and remain part of the plant through its entire life without need for further application. Yum.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    There's some merit to your point, but unfortunately it's not entirely correct. ALL crops on which pesticides are used retain some amount of residue in the portion we eat, but the amount does vary between crops in a manner that's partly related to the type of crop and what portions of it we eat, etc.

    In any case, it's been tested and proven that pesticide residues are present in the food that ultimately makes it to the supermarket. For further info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_residue

    The other significant issue I'd like to touch on is that not all pesticides are applied externally-



    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

    Some forms of systemic pesticides are applied to the seeds and remain part of the plant through its entire life without need for further application. Yum.
    well that's the choice you get to make do you want your food to have a tiny amount of pesticide in it, or to be chewed up by bugs?

  5. #105
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,524
    HFC is probably the worst sweetner in existence from a health (and some might say taste) standpoint. I don't have the studies on top of my head, but as I understand it HFC promotes a far more extreme insulin response than other types of sugar.

    Why I try to avoid things with HFC, however, is primarily from a taste standpoint. Any soda connoisseur knows that HFC soda is inferior owing to the sticky texture and aftertaste, compared to the sharper 'snap' from cane sugar based drinks.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    well that's the choice you get to make do you want your food to have a tiny amount of pesticide in it, or to be chewed up by bugs?
    Rather have the pesticide, to be honest.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    HFC is probably the worst sweetner in existence from a health (and some might say taste) standpoint. I don't have the studies on top of my head, but as I understand it HFC promotes a far more extreme insulin response than other types of sugar.

    Why I try to avoid things with HFC, however, is primarily from a taste standpoint. Any soda connoisseur knows that HFC soda is inferior owing to the sticky texture and aftertaste, compared to the sharper 'snap' from cane sugar based drinks.
    not necessarily, its all mouth-feel preference I'm sure some people prefer the mouth-feel of HFCS. Also its the same as cane sugar for health reasons because its basically chemically the same.

    If anything its healthier because you can use less grams of HFCS to get the same amount of sweetness.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-01-04 at 05:20 PM.

  7. #107
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    not necessarily, its all mouth-feel preference I'm sure some people prefer the mouth-feel of HFCS. Also its the same as cane sugar for health reasons because its basically chemically the same.

    If anything its healthier because you can use less grams of HFCS to get the same amount of sweetness.
    Probably the same people who prefer Forrest Gump to Pulp Fiction. Classless bogans.

    Chemically it is -similar-, as all sugars are, but the vastly higher sweetness seems to fuck with the insulin response.

    Carbs are bad, anyway.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Probably the same people who prefer Forrest Gump to Pulp Fiction. Classless bogans.

    Chemically it is -similar-, as all sugars are, but the vastly higher sweetness seems to fuck with the insulin response.

    Carbs are bad, anyway.
    It does not have vastly higher sweetness, just a little.

    carbs are not bad anyway. They are the most usable source of energy the human body can use.

  9. #109
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    It does not have vastly higher sweetness, just a little.

    carbs are not bad anyway. They are the most usable source of energy the human body can use.
    It takes the sugar equivalent of around twenty red apples to match the sweetness of a cup of HFC. The sweetness is a lot higher.

    I take stock in Taubes' research. Carbs should be restricted.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  10. #110
    HFCS added to juices made me nauseous. HFCS in carbonated beverages just tastes wrong to me. I'm not a fan of the stuff, between those two. So it's not even really a matter of deep health concerns, it's just one more thing my body doesn't appreciate so it's another thing I tend to avoid if I can help it. I should certainly pay more attention to the ingredient lists on the products we buy, though.

    Vaguely related, I wish fresh fruits and vegetables had chemical lists on them so I could figure out this plant-matter allergy I have. <_<

  11. #111
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    HFCS added to juices made me nauseous. HFCS in carbonated beverages just tastes wrong to me. I'm not a fan of the stuff, between those two. So it's not even really a matter of deep health concerns, it's just one more thing my body doesn't appreciate so it's another thing I tend to avoid if I can help it. I should certainly pay more attention to the ingredient lists on the products we buy, though.

    Vaguely related, I wish fresh fruits and vegetables had chemical lists on them so I could figure out this plant-matter allergy I have. <_<
    Like I said, sugar based sodas taste far superior.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It takes the sugar equivalent of around twenty red apples to match the sweetness of a cup of HFC. The sweetness is a lot higher.

    I take stock in Taubes' research. Carbs should be restricted.
    actually the sugar in apples is 2:1 fructose:glucose and is probably more sweet than 1 cup of HFCS. where the ratio of HFCS can differ by solution but the most used is 55:45

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 05:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Like I said, sugar based sodas taste far superior.
    HFCS is sugar.

  13. #113
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    HFCS is sugar.
    Cane sugar, cease your nitpicking.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  14. #114
    You know you can go to your local walmart and buy a bottle of actual corn syrup.
    Once you get a good look at it in it's full glory I doubt you would ever choose to use it in place of sugar.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    You know you can go to your local walmart and buy a bottle of actual corn syrup.
    Once you get a good look at it in it's full glory I doubt you would ever choose to use it in place of sugar.
    Corn Syrup isn't the same as HFCS though.

  16. #116
    While the health pros and cons are open to debate, I find that drinks etc with actual sugar taste better and have a far better viscosity. The only reason anyone uses corn syrup is because of stupid outdated farm subsidies making it cheaper then dirt. End the payout to farmers (most of whom are massive corporations) who dont want to actually farm and the issue goes away.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-01-04 at 05:45 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    While the health pros and cons are open to debate, I find that drinks etc with actual sugar taste better and have a far better viscosity. The only reason anyone uses corn syrup is because of stupid outdated farm subsidies making it cheaper then dirt. And the payout to farmers (most of whom are massive corporations) who dont want to actually farm and the issue goes away.
    Pretty much this combined with import tariffs on Cane Sugar.

  18. #118
    If nothing else, high fructose corn sugar is an indicator that you're eating a corner-cutting food product. It's likely to not be very natural in other departments, and likely to just use flavor additives rather than the actual food trying to be mimicked. In general it's probably smart to veer clear. For a fun experiment, see if you can actually find a syrup in the grocery store made of syrup. There's maybe 1 option at my local grocer. Same goes for jams and jellies. If you want to eat food made from food, it can prove to be a difficult challenge.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Cane sugar, cease your nitpicking.
    Pretty sure it doesn't matter where its from - Fructose is Fructose. Fructose in your honey is the same as in your HFCS, the only difference is the corn syrup part.

    | Warrior Moderator | Protection Warrior Weakaura Group |

  20. #120
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,524
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Pretty sure it doesn't matter where its from - Fructose is Fructose. Fructose in your honey is the same as in your HFCS, the only difference is the corn syrup part.
    Cane sugar is sucrose, not fructose.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •