View Poll Results: What do you think of this idea?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would definitely rejoin for this, I enjoy creativity.

10 13.33%
  • I might be skeptical of this at first, it might take some time.

7 9.33%
  • It would take alot of changes to make this work.

13 17.33%
  • Nah, I don't see it helping at all.

12 16.00%
  • This is an awful idea.

33 44.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveJohnKimble View Post
    Maybe we'll see something like this in Titan?
    It would be better if it was in Titan honestly, As it could be amazing in WoW, Its is far to late unless in the future Blizzard makes WoW B2P than allow people to continue content for WoW while they focus on Titan, but Blizzard has to approve it obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Too much work. Just make 30 more dailies using the same old technology we've had for over 10 years now.
    Dailies didn't exist when the game came out.
    Dailies today are far, far, far more complex than even the most complex boss scripts in Sunwell.

The things you do in dailies today were impossible to do in the original version of WoW.

To the OP, custom content is a fun idea on paper but then you get into the "Standard of Acceptable Quality (no giant penis maps or racism)" as well as where this information would be stored (not on player pc's as that would mean they would need some form of open security system, not happening). There are many other reasons why it wouldn't work, but it would also fly against their idea that players need to actually be in the game world, not in instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

I can't stand anyone who feels the need to put [Amazing Idea] in the title of their thread to refer to their own idea. It makes me much less likely to actually listen to anything they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I can't stand anyone who feels the need to put [Amazing Idea] in the title of their thread to refer to their own idea. It makes me much less likely to actually listen to anything they have to say.
    There is no need to berate or belittle someone.

Blizzard already said that they want to look into custom content. Doesn't mean that it will come, or that it will actually be user-made to a meaningful degree... just that they'll do their research and try out stuff internally (if they ever get that far down on their todo-list). Just how they created and researched the D3 arena systems, and in the end they said "nah, let's do something different".

To everyone who keeps automatically jumping in and saying "this would never work in an MMO game", I would like to point you to the Mission Architect feature in City of Heroes, which was a fully functional mission editor that let you custom make missions (up to, and including your own custom dungeons using their stock dungeon tilesets), complete with scripting and also the ability to earn character rewards / experience, etc through these missions.

Of course, Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crap) applied liberally here, and the rewards / resources you were allowed to use were very carefully monitored (ie, no stupid use of major lore characters or free uber gear etc), but it was still very well implimented.

The major reason you will likely never see such a thing in WoW most likely boils down to one simple fact: Blizzard simply does not want to have to put up with millions of whiny people who you can be GUARANTEED will complain about any tiny little thing they dont like in some guy's custom made quest / scenario and expect Blizzard to fix it.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3sfbmu/

I'll just leave this here..

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Dailies today are far, far, far more complex than even the most complex boss scripts in Sunwell.

The things you do in dailies today were impossible to do in the original version of WoW.

To the OP, custom content is a fun idea on paper but then you get into the "Standard of Acceptable Quality (no giant penis maps or racism)" as well as where this information would be stored (not on player pc's as that would mean they would need some form of open security system, not happening). There are many other reasons why it wouldn't work, but it would also fly against their idea that players need to actually be in the game world, not in instances.
    A huge percentage of the dailies are kill or collect quests. Very few have anything complex beyond jousting or some crap. They need to get off the daily quests bandwagon because damnit it's not content. It never was. Do you know what else you do "daily"? Wake up and go to work. This is what dailies feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Hehe. Isn't that what they are doing anyway?.
    WHOOSH

tencharz

Quote Originally Posted by loudskies View Post
    What about gear? Well, clearly armor would not be earned in these, and it would all be for fun, just like Custom Games in Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2 didn't increase your rank, but it was still the most popular feature in Warcraft 3 in the end.
    You lose what I would think is the vast majority of the playerbase when you say, "Here's a feature. You get nothing for using it."
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

To those saying this doesn't belong in this genre, Star trek online has a great content creator. It is certainly helping to keep the community together there.

I voted that it was an awful idea though, it's just not practical for WoW.

I'll just leave this here.

I don't think the naysayers are understanding what the OP has in mind. This player created content would not be in the actual world of Warcraft, but would be something you could alternatively log into, much like single-player campaign vs multiplayer.

Other than the massive technical hurdle I imagine it would be, I guess the argument against it would be taking people out of the "world." But I'd buy a seperate version of WoW that allowed us to do player created instances.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    But I'd buy a seperate version of WoW that allowed us to do player created instances.
    I wouldn't buy a player version of WoW. I could, however, be persuaded to purchase a Single Player RPG version of wow where much like the RTS versions, you could play solo or multi with friends. Would be nice since the world would be full of NPCs and the system would randomly assign 4 NPCs to you for the dungeon or more for raids. You will still have to do everything you do in the MMO, but could play it offline or across BNet with friends

I must say that I enjoyed the fan made extentions in dungeon Siege..so..this could be fun.

But will ppl run if just for fun or are they too spoiled and expect rewards always. Well..wouldn't matter. Fans make expansions / maps / dungeons for fun. And other fans love to enjoy it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

i think this is where rifts player housing is heading in the future, player made content like bg's and dungeon's, well thats what scott hartsman said at E3, cant wait to make my own arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post

Since you're a programmer and you coded all of Blizzards Daily quests and also Sunwell Plateau. /sarcsam off

OT: I love the idea and would like to see how it would play out in game.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    I don't think the naysayers are understanding what the OP has in mind. This player created content would not be in the actual world of Warcraft, but would be something you could alternatively log into, much like single-player campaign vs multiplayer.

Other than the massive technical hurdle I imagine it would be, I guess the argument against it would be taking people out of the "world." But I'd buy a seperate version of WoW that allowed us to do player created instances.
    I don't think you understand the naysayers because half of them have been saying "it's the technical side that is impractical".
    Blizzard's level tools are designed for people with industry training and they will be trained further with how to use them, adapting those to tools suitable for a layman to create content would take an exorbitant amount of time and the division of labour would mean it would likely mean a 9-12 month gap in creating other content.

And then the reward at the end would be poorly-made user generated content which provides no character progression or rewards and then another wait of several months while they prepare some real content.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Too much work. Just make 30 more dailies using the same old technology we've had for over 10 years now.
    Give it a new name like:
    Afternoon events.
    Dynamog sytem. (repeatable)
    Timeattack monstermatch (timed to 24 hours, resetting at 4 AM)

Call it a feature. Sell it.

Sounds cool, but I don't think it'd work / it would be too much work.

Also, it really doesn't help if you say that your own idea is an amazing idea. Let your thoughts say that, not your title.

they did say a few blizzcons back that they want to do something like this one day prolly in the last expac, last patch