Chocolate and weight

Quick question for you guys. I have been reading a lot of articles about getting weight. I havent seen anything about eating chocolate. I know chocolate have a lot of 'calories" but will we get weight by eating this? also my friends are saying that are on diet that they cannot eat cocolate because they will get more kilos is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Demologize View Post
    Quick question for you guys. I have been reading a lot of articles about getting weight. I havent seen anything about eating chocolate. I know chocolate have a lot of 'calories" but will we get weight by eating this? also my friends are saying that are on diet that they cannot eat cocolate because they will get more kilos is that true?
    Chocolate is usually high in fat which is caloriciallly dense compared to protien or carbs, thats why.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Moved to Sports & Fitness.

I think it's better here than Gen OT.

Sorry Majad and thanks. So Gamdwelf will I get weight by eating chocolate?

Sorry Majad and thanks. So Gamdwelf will I get weight by eating chocolate?
    you gain weight by eating more calories than you burn.

chocolate in it self is not going to make you fat.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-01-03 at 07:19 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

There are tribesman that drink a ludicrous amount of chocolate, and they live super long times and have super few health problems.

What will get you in trouble is all that sugar that is in chocolate, and to a lesser degree the fat that is added. Mostly this is an issue of quantity of food- it's very easy to eat a ludicrous amount of calories, and an amount and type of sugar that will spike your blood sugar and mungle your long term insulin response, with candy than it is with many other foods. Such an action would be impossible with, say, broccoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    You could completely live off chocolate and not gain a single pound - as long as you don't exceed your daily caloric requirement.
    well you might not get all the vitamins and stuff you need just from chocolate, and I'm not sure chocolate has any protein.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I am currently in 2.800 dalories diet. I need to get weight and I was thinking about eating 1 or 2 chocolate bars to this. Will I get weight quicker?

Deleted
    I am currently in 2.800 dalories diet. I need to get weight and I was thinking about eating 1 or 2 chocolate bars to this. Will I get weight quicker?
    No you wont.
    It doesnt matter what you eat, your calories is what matters.

Yea well. Lets make it clear ebcasue I think you dont understand me. My body needs 2.400 calories and I am currently in diet with 2.800 calories. I want to add to this 2 chocolate bars so it will be around 3.500 calories* and also I dont burn much calories as I play all day now, I am not going out for now as I only eat and rest at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    But the point is: You wouldn't necessarily gain weight by doing so.

Nothing makes you fat per se, it always depends on the amount.
    Sure, but the op's question seems far more simple than 'if i increase my calorie intake i also have to increase my calorie burn or i will gain weight.' And leaving out the important bit there (also increase calorie burn) while saying "wouldn't necessarily" could be very misleading to people who dont already know the answer to this.

Yes, op, if you add 1 or 2 chocolate bars to your daily diet or replace healthier food with chocolate, without also increasing your calorie burn, you will gain weight.

Yea well. Lets make it clear ebcasue I think you dont understand me. My body needs 2.400 calories and I am currently in diet with 2.800 calories. I want to add to this 2 chocolate bars so it will be around 3.500 calories* and also I dont burn much calories as I play all day now, I am not going out for now as I only eat and rest at home.
    2 Snickers bars (for example) is 560 calories. Or about 140 short of your goal of 3500.
    Last edited by openair; 2013-01-03 at 11:41 PM.

Eat high % dark chocolate. Snicker bars and the like are unhealthy. Honestly, though, peanut butter is cheaper and will do the trick.

BTW, chocolate is one of the healthiest foods out there but I wouldn't describe it as high calorie. It is hard to eat a lot of premium chocolate as it tends to fill me up really quickly. In fact, when I want to lose weight I eat chocolate.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-04 at 02:12 PM.

There are many benefit of chocolate.Eat chocolate while any exercise and sports.What will get you in trouble is all that sugar that is in chocolate, and to a lesser degree the fat that is added. Mostly this is an issue of quantity of food- it's very easy to eat a ludicrous amount of calories

Actually, there was a recent study that showed those who eat chocolate are THINNER than those who avoid it. Unfortunately I can't post a link since I'm too new in this forum, but read about some recent studies on chocolate on Know Guff (.com). The one study I'm talking about is quite interesting, but you can read about the other numerous health benefits of chocolate (real chocolate, not "candy bars").

This also goes for whole vs skim milk. It's been found that CLA (a popular weight loss supplement with good supporting research) is naturally present in the fat portion of milk, which is suggested to be why those who drink homo or 2% milk are usualy thinner than those who drink skim milk (CLA is removed along with the fat).

Quote Originally Posted by D-J View Post
    Actually, there was a recent study that showed those who eat chocolate are THINNER than those who avoid it. Unfortunately I can't post a link since I'm too new in this forum, but read about some recent studies on chocolate on Know Guff (.com). The one study I'm talking about is quite interesting, but you can read about the other numerous health benefits of chocolate (real chocolate, not "candy bars").

This also goes for whole vs skim milk. It's been found that CLA (a popular weight loss supplement with good supporting research) is naturally present in the fat portion of milk, which is suggested to be why those who drink homo or 2% milk are usualy thinner than those who drink skim milk (CLA is removed along with the fat).
    Or people who are thinner eat chocolate and drink fatty milk because they can and people who are fatter avoid chocolate and fatty milk in the hopes of getting thinner. Correlation != causation. It is like the whole breakfast argument all over again.

Deleted
    Chocolate is awesome in all it's forms.

Should just use more energy than you get from eating to lose weights!

I eat 90% Dark Chocolate regularly. It took me a while to work my way up to being able to enjoy 90% cocoa content (and 100% really sucks due to its consistency).

However: it helps keep my weight down, has lots of antioxidants, I like the caffeine, and I like the taste. Furthermore, milk chocolate now tastes like a horrid glob of fat to me. I will keep Dark Chocolate in my diet permanently because... well Chocolate is awesome!

The researchers found that people who ate chocolate with greater frequency tended to eat more calories overall, including more saturated fat, than those who went light on the candy. But even so, chocolate lovers tended to have a lower body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sandygothes View Post
    The researchers found that people who ate chocolate with greater frequency tended to eat more calories overall, including more saturated fat, than those who went light on the candy. But even so, chocolate lovers tended to have a lower body weight.
    Wouldn't you expect skinnier people to eat more calories than people who are trying to lose weight because they are overweight? I bet you the skinnier people were more active too.

You really need to stop believing studies that aren't thoroughly vetted.

If you can find me a study that shows that two populations, one of which eats chocolate and the other of which does not, have an equal body fat percentage at the beginning of the experiment and a divergent body fat percentage at the end of the experiment with the population of chocolate eaters being thinner, then you may have something assuming you control for calories and exercise otherwise.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-02-07 at 01:23 PM.