Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    It's a great show for people with either little understanding of the "geek" culture, or are just so pleased they get some of the references. It's slightly above average at best, with a heavy helping of pandering.
    Aw, did the nasty show hurt your feelings? I love the show, even when they are making fun of people playing WoW or being addicted to an MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    It reminds me more of Battle Chess from the 80s....that was fun
    Battle chess was awesome! I also had a game called four-way chess where you had four players playing. The board was normal size in the middle then it added 2 rows on each side for the sets of pieces. Then four-way chess+battle chess made for some hilarious days.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    It reminds me more of Battle Chess from the 80s....that was fun
    Blizzard actually early in their life made a port of Battle Chess 2.

Blizzard Entertainment was founded by Michael Morhaime, Allen Adham, and Frank Pearce as Silicon & Synapse in February 1991, a year after[3] all three had received their bachelor's degrees from UCLA.[3][5] In the early days the company focused on creating game ports for other studios. Ports include titles such as J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. I and Battle Chess II: Chinese Chess.[6][7] In 1993, the company developed games such as Rock n' Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings (published by Interplay Productions).
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I think OP needs to watch this vid.

JK Rowling came up with the idea from scratch!

Like Harry Potter, where the entire idea for the series just one day hit her... while he was reading the Worst Witch.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Second season of twin peaks had murdered bodies in chess pieces until the writers got bored (or cancelled) and accelerated the plot
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    They probably got the idea from chess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    It's not even pandering. Pandering would be jokes about the differences between DnD Editions. BBT makes jokes about people caring about DnD. Pay attention to the cues of the laughing tracks and tell me you're not feeling laughed at after five minutes.
    Way to make an american sitcom about the content.

No american sitcom is about the content.
    It's about the relationships between the characters and the delivery of the lines. It's not about good jokes.
    ... But that doesn't mean it isn't good. BBT is highly entertaining in my book.

Also, for the record, I do NOT feel laughed AT, probably because I can see why something is laughed at, and I'm a science-, physics-, games-, computer,- comics-, MMO- and RP-GEEK.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2013-01-04 at 03:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chess

The first version of life size chess was played in 1454 to compete for a young lady. It was made into a part of the 1871 novel and later turned into an actual event in 1923.

<--- huge nerd

You're welcome.
    Hm, strangely enough, the dates from your factoids are quite off. The first mentions of live chess are from 1408.

The competition for a young lady happened in 1554 (typo on your part?). In Italy they like to replay this legend annually somewhere in the north.

In literature live chess appeared around XV. Rabelais, in XVI, definitely wrote about human chess.

The 1923 as actual event I can't identify, since by that time there already were many public and private presentations of live chess.

The only part I agree with is the publication of Carroll's novel. Indeed, one of the most famous references for human chess.

I get that Chess was a fun encounter (not so much if you solo)

But how fun would it be if there was an actual chess game, where you were limited to moving as you would in chess, one piece at a time, and the AI was limited to the default games that come with any Windows PC?

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    If you have to say it, you're obviously not the coolest one
    Well I can imagine Leonard dissing the others by placing himself a bit higher on the cool ladder... great show btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post

The traditional image of the nerd or geek that was once a pariah in society is a result purely out of said nerd or geek's own social ineptitude, not because of what that person does in life or their own free time. With proper social skills, no one cares about your hobbies. The typical "geek" has a profound love for his hobbies and interests that causes them to overtake their daily life. When you choose to abandon social skills for zealotry in your hobbies and interests, you choose to live with those consequences. You aren't born with social skills, social skills are developed, and require effort on behalf of one's self to develop them fully. You can't ask someone to take your argument seriously when you chose a life of criticism based on your own social ineptitude, wearing that ineptitude as a badge of honor, and become offended when the world moves on, and things that were once thought of as nerdy or geeky become socially acceptable.

It's a fairly asinine argument to attempt to make, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Chris Metzen most likely got the idea from.

Sort of NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post

I agreed with most of the video, but his rant about the Big Bang Theory is completely off-base. It doesn't seem like he watched many of the episodes, or at least many of the recent ones, since in a lot of them, Penny is made out to be a stupid and un-dedicated person. I've seen countless times where Sheldon and Leonard belittle her. There's not too many episodes I can name where she is made out to be a hero. As for his whole "ethnic minority" diatribe, I turned off the video at that point.

The point in a fictional comedy is to provide amusement. If these guys set up a camera in the average nerd's apartment, it wouldn't be very exciting, just a lot of discussion about which class is superior at healing in WoW, or which deck is currently most popular in Yu-Gi-Oh. At least, that's been my experience. Myself and my friends have had very engaging and enjoyable conversations and we would spend many nights interrupting people's meals at Denny's with our ridiculous laughter, but none of that would be interesting to a viewer, mostly because they wouldn't really get our way of speaking. Hell, there's been conversations at the local comic shop that I've steered out of for being too "nerdy."

As for the topic, the idea of Chess isn't new, and the idea of humans taking the place of pieces in games isn't new, so I'd imagine that neither Blizzard nor JK Rowling came up with it first. It's also possible they both could've arrived at the idea completely separate, or that the designer of WoW was inspired by Harry Potter, but had completely forgotten that part was even in the book. An example of how this can happen is that one time, I designed a world and named one of the locations in it (a frequent hobby of mine), and probably a couple of months later went through to level my second Draenei and discovered that one of the locations on Azure Island shared the exact name as the place in my world. Keep in mind it had been at least a year since I had leveled a Draenei before, and I had no memory of these locations before leveling my second one. So I assume the name stuck in my mind and when I went "what sounds like an Elvish name?" my brain spewed that out.

I personally have grown up playing video games and trading card games my entire life. There were times that i was alienated for doing so, however, as an adult i could care less about what people want to call me or whatever. I now run a table top hobby shop with a couple friends and we help to mold the younger generation of ourselves and make them feel better about it(at least while they are there). That being said i would say that i am a nerd or a geek, whatever you want to call me, i honestly don't care about labels. I also find the big bang theory to be a good show, it makes me laugh, even if it is stereotypical. If you are a nerd or geek and are too jaded to understand that we are now the popular people in the world, well then i'm sad for you. Stop being mad at ppl trying to steal it and just look down at them from where you are now and where they wish they could be, stronger than they will ever be as a person.
    do what you feel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I guess I am not the only one. Mel Brooks, funny man.

Deleted
    wut u gusy are sayin?

it obvious blizz invented chess, uwau!

Seriously, some good posts in this thread.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2013-01-04 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    I agreed with most of the video, but his rant about the Big Bang Theory is completely off-base. It doesn't seem like he watched many of the episodes, or at least many of the recent ones, since in a lot of them, Penny is made out to be a stupid and un-dedicated person. I've seen countless times where Sheldon and Leonard belittle her. There's not too many episodes I can name where she is made out to be a hero. As for his whole "ethnic minority" diatribe, I turned off the video at that point.
    I don´t know what show you watch but Pennys "street-smarts" wins most of the time. Especially against Sheldon but even at other times like when she punched the WoW-hacker in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    The point in a fictional comedy is to provide amusement. If these guys set up a camera in the average nerd's apartment, it wouldn't be very exciting, just a lot of discussion about which class is superior at healing in WoW, or which deck is currently most popular in Yu-Gi-Oh. At least, that's been my experience. Myself and my friends have had very engaging and enjoyable conversations and we would spend many nights interrupting people's meals at Denny's with our ridiculous laughter, but none of that would be interesting to a viewer, mostly because they wouldn't really get our way of speaking. Hell, there's been conversations at the local comic shop that I've steered out of for being too "nerdy."
    Interestingly enough the first two seasons are quite like that. There are many movie, role-playing and physics references many people wouldn't get. They even had a physics professor back then who wrote the scientific dialogue about topics that were current in the scientific community and wrote the stuff on the whiteboards in their appartement. That stopped at some point and now it's more like "Yes i was such a loser, too but then i got a girlfriend". In fact they say exact that quite often.

big bang theory is absolutely awesome