Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    No, Birthdays are more then that.
    Yeah, I agree. Birthdays are more, and then they're that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    No, Birthdays are more then that.
    Must... not.... correct.....

I personally don't like celebrating my own birthday because I don't really like being in the center of attention. I also don't "like" most of my relatives ;(

(yes, I rape punctuation.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    It's an old tradition from back in the days when it was hard to survive. You celebrated that you managed to keep yourself alive for another year.
    It kinda still applies even though it's not as hard to stay alive now as it was 50-100+ years ago.
    Exactly this. My girlfriend comes from a country with really high infant mortality rates so in their culture when a kid hits 1 year of age they throw a huge huge birthday bash. They have regular birthdays too but they pale in comparison to scale and grandiosity.

Deleted
    I do not celebrate my birthday with a party. A nice dinner with my family is enough for me

15+ Year Old Account
    Because I survived another year of life, we each have our own day to be a 'King' And the rest we are servants. One day is not that much to ask.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbrew View Post
    Its a great reason to catch up with people and have a drink.

Plus life's worth celebrating!
    brother? is that you?

Gifts, celebration, joy, and cake. Don't forget the cake. Of course this doesn't mean much the older you get, it starts becoming a ritual of sorts instead of a celebration. I still like my birthday, it just means I'm a year older now. With cake.

...Seriously can't be the only one who enjoys birthdays mainly because of the cake.

so hey another year of my life gone!!! instead of making the most of my life and enjoy it as much as possible Im gonna sit here and cry because Im gonna die eventually.... logic?
    N

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Because I survived another year of life, we each have our own day to be a 'King' And the rest we are servants. One day is not that much to ask.
    And what do you do as a King on that special day? Wear a crown, and a staff? Sit on a throne, and give away orders? Perhaps issue executions on your servants. Maybe wage war with another King for territory? How about increasing taxes in your kingdom, you can never have too much gold!
    Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjsno View Post
    Gifts, celebration, joy, and cake. Don't forget the cake. Of course this doesn't mean much the older you get, it starts becoming a ritual of sorts instead of a celebration. I still like my birthday, it just means I'm a year older now. With cake.

...Seriously can't be the only one who enjoys birthdays mainly because of the cake.
    You can have a cake on any other day.
    Last edited by mmocf002b94213; 2013-01-04 at 03:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's an excuse to throw a party and have fun. Why wouldn't you celebrate?
    This is something I have never understood. Be it Christmas, new year's eve, birthdays or whatever old tradition, the only reason people seem to hang on to it is to use it as an excuse to drink alcohol and party. I'm fine with people doing it, what I don't understand is why they need an excuse for it? You're all adults who can make your own decisions, you want to drink and party? Go do it, there's no need to have any other reason than the desire to do it.

Hell, people even use moving to another place as an excuse, I find it ridiculous frankly...

As for birthdays, I've stopped caring about them altogether, as with most traditions. I see little to no point in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You know it wont be more than 115 and most likely around 80 years for most people, so now that Im 40 I know the rest is down hill and it wont be long before my time comes so Id rather not celebrate being older
    So you're going to live the next 60 years of your life, depressed about your inevitable death?

You need to cheer up. Here, have a birthday cake:

Jesus man, just take the time to celebrate and have fun and don't worry so much about D-Day.

Besides, in a few years, scientists will figure out how to neutralize those telemeres and aging will be a thing of the past anyways.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You know it wont be more than 115 and most likely around 80 years for most people, so now that Im 40 I know the rest is down hill and it wont be long before my time comes so Id rather not celebrate being older
    Time to buy a Porsche.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It's the celebration of birth, plus at certain ages there are perks like the right to drive a motorized vehicle, smoke, vote, drink, etc...

Happy Unbirthday!

Deleted
    Oh dear, first it was newyears eve now its birthdays. I'll give you an explenation about why we celebrate stuff:
    Because its fun, humans like having fun, any excuse for fun is a good excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    My 18th Birthday is 237 days away. Biggest milestone in ones life. I can't wait to celebrate. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be happy? Let alone on your birthday.

Deleted
    Because you see the half that's empty, you see the years left until you're dead while the most of us see the full part of the glass, we celebrate being another year alive!

u can die by 1000000000000000000000 reasons everyday surviving a year calls for celebration!

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Deleted
    I celebrate it and spend time with everyone I care about.
    Because it's a wonderful tradition to feel spoilt by everyone all at once on 1 day.

As I've got older my birthday has been more about a lie in and day off work

Now I enjoy my kids birthdays much more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ashankt View Post
    Now I enjoy my kids birthdays much more.
    Indeed its a wonderfull excuse to play with their toys (I must explain him how it works!)