Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    Exactly this. My girlfriend comes from a country with really high infant mortality rates so in their culture when a kid hits 1 year of age they throw a huge huge birthday bash. They have regular birthdays too but they pale in comparison to scale and grandiosity.
    That is actually where it started. Believe it or not, we didn't always have advanced medical care and technology. Shocker, I know. But surviving every year became a HUGE thing, something to be celebrated. A lot of babies, for instance, wouldn't survive the first year during a long period in our (human's) history. So if a baby did, you treasured that baby. Because of the lack of survival, a lot of cultures wouldn't even name the child or fully recognize it until the first year because of how often they would die. It still somewhat happens in some cultures that do not have the same access, whether intentional or not, to modern medicine and etc.

    But we live in a modern world, and the idea that birthdays are nothing other than another day is becoming increasingly common because it's no longer a true testament to our survival. We're almost guaranteed to survive another year til a point (In developed countries and to natural causes). So, with that in mind, birthdays have become less important in our lives. Well, I say that but there's still other rites of passage, such as 13, 16, 18, and 21 (in general, give or take a year depending on culture), that we do immensely celebrate. They're huge steps in our lives that propel us forward, so we tend to celebrate them more.

    It's not about consumerism or anything of the sort, either. Presents now could have the point attributed to them, but that comes with the modern times. They, presents, have always been given but were not necessarily purchased.

    So yes, birthdays are more of long-standing traditions that have lost the original meaning somewhat. But it is still there when you celebrate a person growing up. We just don't take it as serious, perhaps? That's a misnomer, however. We take them seriously in another way. But my advice is to celebrate them and celebrate them as often as possible, in whatever manner you (the birthday boy/girl) choose. (Not to mention a yearly celebration is great for morale and lifting up one's spirits).

  2. #62
    I would guess that historically it was significant when it was much more likely that you would die young, and the tradition just stuck. Back then the older you got, to a point, put you further from death.

    Also, being closer to dead is better then being dead.

  3. #63
    Stood in the Fire frigoffrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    446
    I think everyone can have their own opinion on birthdays. Doesn't mean you're not celebrating them because you look at it as it's a day closer to your demise.

    Some people just don't like the attention.

  4. #64
    Pandaren Monk willtron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,761
    Seriously are so many freaks on this forum.

    Saying this is worth the inevitable infraction.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    Exactly this. My girlfriend comes from a country with really high infant mortality rates so in their culture when a kid hits 1 year of age they throw a huge huge birthday bash. They have regular birthdays too but they pale in comparison to scale and grandiosity.
    Brazil? Im probably recalling wrong, but in a book I read, people in brazil celebrate the baby when it turns 1 and survives infancy. Gets a name too. Done so the mothers wont get too attached to a new baby that has a high chance of dying within a year.

  6. #66
    Mechagnome Helryx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Seriously are so many freaks on this forum.

    Saying this is worth the inevitable infraction.
    Yep.They're just 2edgy4us.

  7. #67
    Pandaren Monk Yosef1015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Freljord
    Posts
    1,762
    why waste a day mourning when you can celebrate and have good time?

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If you think about it all we do is celebrate being another year closer to being stuffed in a coffin. Why are people happy about being closer to being dead? I always thought birthdays should be an event that you mourn rather than celebrate. Anyone else think the same way?
    you make depressed emo's look like happy dancing clowns. im surprised you managed to get out of bed in the morning with that attitude.

  9. #69
    The Patient Mehbooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    Well, the level of scarring depends on how you explain things to them. If you explain that you'd rather not celebrate birthdays for, <insert reason here>, and tell them you would rather give gifts or do fun things not out of an obligation, but as a true reward, they would probably be fairly understanding and learn to appreciate your views.

    At the same time, if you don't allow them to go to birthday parties for their friends and they become a social pariah, you probably aren't doing them any favors.

    Yes, I agree...I always give reasons for anything weird I say or do and explain that this is why Birthdays are uncomfortable for me. They are very understanding for their age and as a general rule, I put myself in their position and imagine what they must be feeling like and what I was like at their age, so I relate to them on their level of understanding.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Because you see the half that's empty, you see the years left until you're dead while the most of us see the full part of the glass, we celebrate being another year alive!
    Yes, that's a nice positive attitude
    Funny Bunny

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    Yes, I agree...I always give reasons for anything weird I say or do and explain that this is why Birthdays are uncomfortable for me. They are very understanding for their age and as a general rule, I put myself in their position and imagine what they must be feeling like and what I was like at their age, so I relate to them on their level of understanding.
    Please do not take offense (Yeah, yeah... It's almost like everyone who says that actually means offense... Oh well, I don't), but what kinds of things do you do throughout the year to celebrate your children that you feel gives balance to what you take away with the birthday? You say you do other things, and I am simply curious as to what it is. Normally, when someone has an issue with birthdays, the children end up suffering. But you make it a point to mention how you do the same thing (seemingly multiple times) throughout the year -- just not the birthday celebration.

    If it is as you imply, then they shouldn't exactly be missing out... But it is an non-normative life for them, and seeing other kids having birthdays could be an issue. Have you encountered that yet? I ask because you probably haven't. Your kids are probably fine. But if you have, could you outline the conversation and how it went?

    I know, I ask too many questions... I honestly am curious and excited to hear what you have to say!

  11. #71
    The Patient Mehbooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    Please do not take offense (Yeah, yeah... It's almost like everyone who says that actually means offense... Oh well, I don't), but what kinds of things do you do throughout the year to celebrate your children that you feel gives balance to what you take away with the birthday? You say you do other things, and I am simply curious as to what it is. Normally, when someone has an issue with birthdays, the children end up suffering. But you make it a point to mention how you do the same thing (seemingly multiple times) throughout the year -- just not the birthday celebration.

    If it is as you imply, then they shouldn't exactly be missing out... But it is an non-normative life for them, and seeing other kids having birthdays could be an issue. Have you encountered that yet? I ask because you probably haven't. Your kids are probably fine. But if you have, could you outline the conversation and how it went?

    I know, I ask too many questions... I honestly am curious and excited to hear what you have to say!

    I see Birthdays as mere farce and nothing but a "show" or a front for shallowness. If I love my children then I would rather show them I love them by sacrificing my own needs for theirs....so see that they are not lacking in food, water, shelter, attention and lot and lots of cuddles and love. These things are far more important then mere presents and cake.

    I might be fucked in the head but that is how i see things, in black and white. I would appreciate an honest reply from you too as I am curious as to what you think of this situation
    Funny Bunny

  12. #72
    As I always tell my friend.... Happy annual celebration of your continued existence, and congratulations on your (enter number here) time around the sun.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

  13. #73
    Because people try to find ways to fuel their egos. A day dedicated to yourself? Who the fuck do you think you are? Plus, I don't really like to be the center of attention.

    Even new years' eve doesn't make any sense, but it's a good excuse to celebrate so I actually care about that. Christmas as well.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 12:22 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    No, Birthdays are more then that.

    Last edited by Qiqtz; 2013-01-05 at 12:25 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •