Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Sony's About to shoot themselves in the foot.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...condhand-games So pretty much. You have to buy new games to play them on that console. If your console breaks you need to buy a new console AND a new game cause of the old CD ID will not work on your new console. If nintendo and Microsoft do not do this, this will hurt sony badly.

Just because they patent something doesn't mean they'll implement it. I don't see any confirmation about them definitively doing so.

If I was to speculate, it would indeed be horrible, but again, this isn't 100% confirmed to be used and implemented, as far as I can see. And I remember Microsoft doing something similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just a patent at this stage. We must all hope to God that they don't actually plan to utilize this for anything important like, oh I don't know, their new console.

you do know that sony also patented a way to put commercial breaks while you play video games too right?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure this is old new. I think early-mind 2012 there was a big uproar about this, but everyone came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't a big deal. Unless Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all decide to do it, then whichever company does it is gonna be screwed. It is very unlikely that it will happen.

Or they might have patented it so that no other company could do it. Patents are taken out quite often not because a company wants to sell a product or service, but because they don't want their competition to.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleachroxs View Post
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...condhand-games So pretty much. You have to buy new games to play them on that console. If your console breaks you need to buy a new console AND a new game cause of the old CD ID will not work on your new console. If nintendo and Microsoft do not do this, this will hurt sony badly.
    If they build consoles that have long shelf lives and out last the discs that get scratched and dont play, I wouldnt necessarily see this as that bad of a thing. Then all they have to do is sell old games at a "used" game price to make it complete. The only thing then is you cant loan a game to a friend. I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is old new.
    Well, the article is dated "January 03, 2013 2:15pm PST (2 hours ago)"...although I agree, I have definitely heard this before.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are conditions of the feature that we know nothing about still though, such as the possibility it could allow X amount of systems per tag or allow you to change the tag X amount of times (2-3 times for example). The patent is for the base system and is highly subject to revision, could eventually even allow you to remove the tag from the CD for a small price etc.

Not really a big shock to me either way, havn't been able to sell 80% of the PC games I buy for over a decade.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    so basically they are trying to make consoles more like PC gaming I guess, if it includes sales at proper discounted prices I don't really see a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

This is the...5th? time that rumor has popped up for Sony? There are similar rumors for the next-gen Xbox. I really don't care until they officially announce something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    Or they might have patented it so that no other company could do it. Patents are taken out quite often not because a company wants to sell a product or service, but because they don't want their competition to.
    well, would probably work out better for sony if other companies started doing this.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft is working on similar features. This is the way that the industry appears to be heading. Since I don't rent games or buy used games I'm okay with it.

I've seen people mention in the past that it will mean devs have to be less competitive with prices, but I doubt it'll play out that way. PC games have been like this for ages and PC games have amazing sales and deals all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    things like this keep coming up and if they do it alot of sony players deserve it, i know alot of people who share games and dlc because used to be able to link ur account to 5 playstations now you can still do it with two incase you own more than one which is a fair system they will probably keep
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

I heard this rumor about the next Xbox almost a year ago. As it stands its just rumors and if it was a plan for any of the consoles to go that route then it was smart of sony to patient it just to have leverage over anyone else trying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    This is the...5th? time that rumor has popped up for Sony? There are similar rumors for the next-gen Xbox. I really don't care until they officially announce something.
    Give or take.
    This thing popped up even in 2005.

Wii U
    http://www.bcs.org/content/conWebDoc/49184

Xbox 'next gen'
    http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-th...oduce-kinect-2

PS3 2005
    http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/08/pl...ay-used-games/

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachroxs View Post
    Not as badly as you think it will, also heard microsoft are working on something like this as well. But the point is more money to them and the game developers a possible drop in new game prices and a kick in the teeth to greedy trade in schemes that the stores run, getting less than half price for a game thats a week old only for them to turn round and sell it for 5 less than retail...no thanks.
    The thing that would have hurt sony was their brilliant ps3 anti piracy, only being cracked in the last year or so...they would have lost more from that than they will from doing this

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Not as badly as you think it will, also heard microsoft are working on something like this as well. But the point is more money to them and the game developers a possible drop in new game prices
    Haha, as if that was going to ever happen.

What they should be concerned is making games that people actually want to hold on instead of one time use trash going back to recycling as soon as the text scrolls up in favour of next month's couple hours wonder game.

Deleted
    I doubt they'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they choose to implement this. I doubt your scenario of being unable to play the game if you buy a new console would happen, as they could very easily allow you to transfer your player ID from one system to another. The article doesn't seem to indicate otherwise, as it mentions "player ID" and doesn't ever use "console" in the sense of "one physical set of hardware".

Anyway, while I don't think it's super-positive for the consumers, I can understand why this sort of thing is happening. The sheer size of the used game sales industry really does hurt developers. I'm not saying it's evil to pass off an old game cheap to your buddy. Building a multi-million industry on actively encouraging trade-ins and used sales over new, however, is basically biting the hand that feeds you. And when no one bats an eye at it for such a long time that the companies have to find their own solution, there will be collateral damage.

So, yeah. I don't necessarily agree with their methods, but I very much empathize with their reasons.
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2013-01-04 at 02:10 AM.

And I don't agree with any of that until they start cracking on libraries, used cars sales, bring and buy sales, movie rentals or any second hand sales stuff in general. Until they do that they are greedy fucks with poor excuses and attempts of find loopholes in laws that many countries have to protect the right of resale.