1h vs 2h for Fistweaving

So, since the loot gods have been incredibly stingy and never graced me with a healing 2h past Cranedancer, I thought I'd ask. Are there any significant differences between 1H/OH and 2H for Fistweaving? Autoattack damage I would expect to be the same, but what about things like Tiger's Palm and Blackout Kick? I'm noticing that they're pretty wimpy with my 1h, and was wondering if a 2h might be better for the style.

Autoattacks are quite well balanced, as Way of the Monk adjusts to 70% for 1H+OH when specced MW. However like you said, instant attacks hit much harder with a 2H, which is better for eminence.

We brought this up in beta and GC's response was "1H+OH is much better for other healers, so we're OK with monks preferring 2H".

Cranedancer is much better for fistweaving than its ilvl would normally indicate, since it has very high weapon damage.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2013-01-04 at 01:29 AM.

We get a 50% bonus to 1handed weapon damage to compensate for the lack of a dual wield weapon.

I have upgraded from a staff as well, and it made a big difference.

If you compare similar ilevel weapons with this in mind, the one handers are slightly better for weapon damage.

Quote Originally Posted by nightlily View Post
    We get a 50% bonus to 1handed weapon damage to compensate for the lack of a dual wield weapon.

I have upgraded from a staff as well, and it made a big difference.

If you compare similar ilevel weapons with this in mind, the one handers are slightly better for weapon damage.
    so, aswell they are slightly better for healing through eminence.

10+ Year Old Account
    2h is preferred because you're attack speed is faster with a 2h then a 1 hander which is better for this type of snipe healing that comes from eminence.

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

It's unfortunate that there's no Sha-touched 2h spirit staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyrion View Post
    It's unfortunate that there's no Sha-touched 2h spirit staff.
    No need, Jin'ya has perfect monk stats.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zfire/advanced

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

So, one guy saying 1h is better, the other saying 2h is better.

Now I'm even more confused.

Way of the Monk only applies to autoattack damage. That's why 2H is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtails View Post
    No need, Jin'ya has perfect monk stats.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zfire/advanced
    I'll be curious to see how it will scale up once we get tier 15 and 16 off-hands though.

Sure now it might be viable (although it's a pretty good chunk of spirit you miss), but will the 2H scale well compared to the mace and off-hand when we have an heroic tier 15 off-hand. I suppose it will, but.. /shrug
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Deleted
    I was really dissapointed after I used my Sha gem in my Jinya staff to see no remote difference between that and the claw, even though the stats from 1 hand and off hand outweigh the 2 hander, was expecting much more considering the weapon damage was higher on the staff, (fistweaving ofc)

As some users have mentioned previously, a 2h weapon will wield you better DPS if you're performing a standard rotation where you constantly generate chi with jab and dump it with tiger palm, since eminence converts your effective DPS to healing, then you will heal more via eminence with a 2H weapon IF you are performing a constant rotation. However, the overall auto-attack damage of a 1h weapon is superior to that of a 2h weapon. Say you have 15k intellect, 7907 spell power on your weapon, you're fully raid buffed and you have the best weapon of this tier for both 1h and 2h, these are the following results:

1H weapon (Loshan, Terror Incarnate HC | Weapon speed: 2.20 | Weapon damage: 2880 - 5350 Damage)

White swing: 9,917.49 DPS
    Jab: 7,171.42 DPS
    Blackout Kick: 38,247.59 DPS
    Tiger Palm: 14,342.85 DPS

2H weapon (Jin'ya, Orb of the Waterspeaker HC | Weapon speed: 3.30 | Weapon damage: 6657 - 9987 Damage)

White swing: 9,060.25 DPS
    Jab: 8,850.38 DPS
    Blackout Kick: 47,202.01 DPS
    Tiger Palm: 17,700.75 DPS

The conclusion that can be made from these values is precisely what has already been discussed in this thread, a 2H weapon will yield better DPS than a 1H, since overall the extra damage from special abilities more than compensates the reduced white swing or auto-attack damage compared to a 1H weapon. Both types of weapons will also yield approximate uptimes on tiger strikes, around 25%.

However, an important thing to note is that as a healer, you're not going to be fistweaving THAT often, firstly because it is relatively expensive to keep generating chi with jab to dump it on tiger palm or blackout kick and secondly, you're going to spend your resources more often on healing abilities. I know that sentence sounded kind of capt. obvious-ish but the fact is, you will be mostly spending your resources on healing abilities such as chi burst and uplift instead of tiger palm and blackout kick BUT your character will still have the ability to auto-attack if you stand within melee range. This increases the value of our auto-attacks and since 1H weapons have shown to be better for white swings, this would suggest that a 1H weapon will be more valuable for the monk healer. It also requires you to keep your Serpent's Zeal and Tiger Power buffs up, which can be complicated during increased damage phases where you just can't spend chi to refresh your buffs.
    Last edited by Luqt; 2013-01-05 at 05:34 AM.

Deleted
    Putting an end to this thread:

imgur.com/ej7CR.png - 513 Loshan
    imgur.com/29FOw.png - 517 Jinya

Loshan currently 600 DPS ahead

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zonde View Post
    As some users have mentioned previously, a 2h weapon will wield you better DPS if you're performing a standard rotation where you constantly generate chi with jab and dump it with tiger palm, since eminence converts your effective DPS to healing, then you will heal more via eminence with a 2H weapon IF you are performing a constant rotation. However, the overall auto-attack damage of a 1h weapon is superior to that of a 2h weapon. Say you have 15k intellect, 7907 spell power on your weapon, you're fully raid buffed and you have the best weapon of this tier for both 1h and 2h, these are the following results:

1H weapon (Loshan, Terror Incarnate HC | Weapon speed: 2.20 | Weapon damage: 2880 - 5350 Damage)

White swing: 9,917.49 DPS
    Jab: 7,171.42 DPS
    Blackout Kick: 38,247.59 DPS
    Tiger Palm: 14,342.85 DPS

2H weapon (Jin'ya, Orb of the Waterspeaker HC | Weapon speed: 3.30 | Weapon damage: 6657 - 9987 Damage)

White swing: 9,060.25 DPS
    Jab: 8,850.38 DPS
    Blackout Kick: 47,202.01 DPS
    Tiger Palm: 17,700.75 DPS

The conclusion that can be made from these values is precisely what has already been discussed in this thread, a 2H weapon will yield better DPS than a 1H, since overall the extra damage from special abilities more than compensates the reduced white swing or auto-attack damage compared to a 1H weapon. Both types of weapons will also yield approximate uptimes on tiger strikes, around 25%.

However, an important thing to note is that as a healer, you're not going to be fistweaving THAT often, firstly because it is relatively expensive to keep generating chi with jab to dump it on tiger palm or blackout kick and secondly, you're going to spend your resources more often on healing abilities. I know that sentence sounded kind of capt. obvious-ish but the fact is, you will be mostly spending your resources on healing abilities such as chi burst and uplift instead of tiger palm and blackout kick BUT your character will still have the ability to auto-attack if you stand within melee range. This increases the value of our auto-attacks and since 1H weapons have shown to be better for white swings, this would suggest that a 1H weapon will be more valuable for the monk healer. It also requires you to keep your Serpent's Zeal and Tiger Power buffs up, which can be complicated during increased damage phases where you just can't spend chi to refresh your buffs.
    I think I am in love. So if you just auto attack do mh+oh but if you actually fistweave go staff.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose