Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are people afraid of China?

I work at sears as a sales associate. I work in the hardware dept and a lot of the merchandise is made in U.S.A. There is also plenty that is made in China, but there are many people who become upset even angry when they see items made in China or demand I find them a suitable American made substitute. I had 1 customer spend an extra 50 dollars (no problem for commission paid me) for an item because it was made int he U.S.A rather than china. When he asked for a cheaper item I showed him the Chinese made one (i never even notice where things are made) and he had an angry tone to his voice about it asking for an American one. This man I also found out through small talk was not some factory worker who lost his job, but a banker who likes to do home improvement on the weekends.

This is just one of a few instances I have seen. I wanted to provide one anecdote in my thread.

Overall many Americans have negative feelings towards China. Much of it does not stem from any cold war attitudes. since 1972 with Henry Kissinger's and Richard Nixon's polices towards China and the visit to China. Chinese u.s relations have been on the good side to say the least.

While China is a growing power, not since Korea (and to a lesser extent Vietnam. mostly from supplying the NVA) have we dealt in any way with China militarily and visa versa. Other states in the reason have some historical fears of China, as they do with Japan. As of right now there is more fake fighting over uninhabited islands for a few more nautical miles of territory. There is not much conflict in that region overall.

While still a communist government the economic polices are far from communist. Many of your newer clothing may not even be made in china. Wages are on the rise in china so your clothing may say (Taiwan, Vietnam, Zimbabwe, and others) More electronic manufacturing is being done in china which is actually a small reason behind its slowing growth as of late. Its preparing its next generation of workers to be more skilled. Why should the american manufacturer who is actually getting some jobs back, be afraid of China? Its not like they make cars that can be sold here. Or some other items that go way below our standards.

Is it because of the governmental polices and lack of freedoms? That does not stop the U.S from being in close ties with Arabia and others.

The U.S and China currently have very positive relations. But political figures and people in the U.S are afraid to even dislike China. Let us discuss why.

10+ Year Old Account
    They hate our freedom.

The same reason people fear other things they don't understand or know that much about.

Deleted
    Because people are afraid of what they don't understand, or what they don't like. It's always have been like this with human nature.

Same goes for Russia as well. Some people still believe that communism is alive there, and that Russia is full of commies, who wish to take over the world - when I see things like this, the person forever is entitled to be a clown. There are some people who even believe, that USSR still exists, lol.

Although I have to agree that Russia is a poor, dangerous, and dirty country, with one of the most corrupted government out there. Also, nationalism is strong there, as well as very little tolerance. People there consider tolerance as a disease.

For one it is the fear that they will cut business with us hindering our economy, though it wouldn't be significant anymore.

Also because they have a massive standing army (even if they're not that powerful) and have good relations with N Korea and Russia.

Deleted
    Some people just like to have an "enemy", the USSR is no longer around so it has to be China. It also makes for a good political scapegoat.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of the disagreements? Chinese and Western civilization are pretty drastically different overall; in several ways, they aren't even capable of intermingling. It isn't as different as, say, Middle Eastern civilization, but the differences are still present. As for the fear of China, pretty much process of elimination. Of all the superpowers in the world, four are intrinsically tied to the US (Great Britain, Germany, Japan, and France), two are dead set on each other and are essentially unfocused on the US, as well as being too unstable to pose a significant threat (India from disparity, Pakistan from internal corruption), and two are still building up and have no interest in engaging in a power struggle that could easily destroy all that they've been trying to accomplish to reach where they are (Russian Federation, Brazil). This leaves China as the sole remaining superpower that is politically capable of being a threat to the US, and even then, they're so economically tied that they would have to spend years untangling themselves before they make a threat.

So in other words, they aren't an actual threat... they're just the most threatening among nonthreatening but powerful nations.

My guess is that they try to support their country's jobs. Futile but admirable. Could also just be completely racist reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Is it because of the governmental polices and lack of freedoms? That does not stop the U.S from being in close ties with Arabia and others.
    Because Americans have such a positive view of Arabic countries haha.

I can understand people wanting to buy American, the bit I don't get is them getting shitty at the storeperson when the cheapest variety is foreign and they have to pay more to buy domestic. That's the whole point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Buying American, if you're American, is a good idea. Same goes for any country anywhere. Generations of people are screwed in countries like the states, UK etc because big companies moved jobs away from cities where the local community were tied into the business, so the companies could make more money in countries with less strict labour laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Because Americans have such a positive view of Arabic countries haha.

I can understand people wanting to buy American, the bit I don't get is them getting shitty at the storeperson when the cheapest variety is foreign and they have to pay more to buy domestic. That's the whole point.
    Only the uneducated don't like ME countries (Israel is a different story).

Also your American vs Foreign idea is absolutely idiotic. I'm almost positive there are more Japanese cars on the road than American. I see more VW than I do Ford, more Audi than I do GM. In terms of electronics, many of the phones are Japanese, very few besides iPhones are American (and those aren't even American made).

Please explain your point, otherwise they're just words.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cuz there's like a billion people over there. Being outnumbered tends to make people edgy. :P
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    People consider Russia a dangerous enemy for multiple reasons, least not because of their military. You can't deny that the threat of Russian invasion is something people shudder to think about (should it ever actually be a concern). I'm not sure where it stems from other than the cold war, but i believe it might also be to do with the fact that Russia sort of stands on it's own.

The same can be said for China. The Chinese and Traditional Russian flag look similar (even if the modern Russian flag looks very different), and so it's in our nature to assume they'd have similar.... attitudes, towards us.

Personally, i don't mind Russia. In most cases, i prefer Russia over other countries, but that's more out of respect for them generally standing their ground. Likewise, China is an economic power, and provides many things to every corner of the world. They've always had a strong international trade right from tea through to the number of electronics they ship out these days. It's not right to fear them, but it is right to respect them.
    Basically the same propaganda that used to be spoon fed to the US.

They've get a map of the world and color the capitalist world blue and then the "commies" red. They would end up shading a huge part of the world because the USSR and china is a massive amount of land.

Even though at the time china and the USSR were about as friendly as the US and the USSR. They were all made the same color to make it seem like they were fighting a MASSIVE unified enemy. Even when in reality that wasn't true.

Deleted
    A common enemy brings together a nation even if it's a made up enemy. When i watched the debate between Obama and Romney I got these chills whenever Romney talked about China and his 5 point plan, it just sounded too closely to Hitler talking about Jews ruining German business's and that they needed to take action against it.

It's the mustaches.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    People consider Russia a dangerous enemy for multiple reasons, least not because of their military. You can't deny that the threat of Russian invasion is something people shudder to think about (should it ever actually be a concern). I'm not sure where it stems from other than the cold war, but i believe it might also be to do with the fact that Russia sort of stands on it's own.

The same can be said for China. The Chinese and Traditional Russian flag look similar (even if the modern Russian flag looks very different), and so it's in our nature to assume they'd have similar.... attitudes, towards us.

Personally, i don't mind Russia. In most cases, i prefer Russia over other countries, but that's more out of respect for them generally standing their ground. Likewise, China is an economic power, and provides many things to every corner of the world. They've always had a strong international trade right from tea through to the number of electronics they ship out these days. It's not right to fear them, but it is right to respect them.
    Thing is though, regardless of their militaries, I fear neither Russia nor China because I don't think either of them are eager to go to war with us. Such a war would be devastating for all involved, even if somehow it didn't go nuclear (and it would) because of how interdependent our trade is (moreso with China than Russia.) A war with Russia would probably drag in the European powers on our side and again, devastate an already hurting economy and destroy much of the infrastructure.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulus View Post
    Because people are afraid of what they don't understand, or what they don't like. It's always have been like this with human nature.

Same goes for Russia as well. Some people still believe that communism is alive there, and that Russia is full of commies, who wish to take over the world - when I see things like this, the person forever is entitled to be a clown. There are some people who even believe, that USSR still exists, lol.

Although I have to agree that Russia is a poor, dangerous, and dirty country, with one of the most corrupted government out there. Also, nationalism is strong there, as well as very little tolerance. People there consider tolerance as a disease.
    I hate myseeeeaaaaaaaaalf naaaaaaaaooooooo T_T

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *snip*
    I personally prefer 'Made in the USA' for one simple reason... I prefer to support American businesses which supports American workers and pay US taxes.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulus View Post

You talk about tolerance and yet you yourself tell us that you hate that country. Where is your tolerance? Tell me how would your country end up if it was in place of Russia? What about other big countries like US. Is it fluffy and innocent? Invading other countries and doing as they please.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not fear the nation of China; it is simply evil for a great number of reasons. Probably the greatest reason is that the nations kills 13 million unborn (low end estimate) per year which is more than twice the number of Jews killed during the entire Holocaust.

As for the buying only American made stuff, I do not do so. If we would act American and stop intruding on the free market to such a massive extent and actually let the market determine the price of wages, American made wouldn't be so overwhelmingly more expensive. At that point (when we stop shooting ourselves in the foot) I could buy solely American made without simply subsidizing the stupidity that is our interventionist economic policy.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-01-04 at 05:01 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8