47 25.41%
  • Other

47 25.41%

Thread: Soda or Pop?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    people in texas call everything coke.
    I keep hearing this online, but I have lived in Texas all my life (mostly Houston/Woodlands/Conroe area) and I have literally never ever heard anyone I know refer to a non-Coke soda as "Coke". In fact the only situations I can ever recall anyone referring to soda as "Coke" is when ordering a drink at a restaurant where you have access to the fountain and they just hand you a cup.

It's been a few weeks since I have seen this topic so I guess it was due I call carbonated beverages soda.

Same as the other Aussies/Kiwis here:

Soft Drink / Fizzy Drink

Fizzy drink is usually targetted at kids though you see plenty of adults using it.

"No more 1966. Lets splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you’ve got, this year! No more of this old stuff."
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since October 22, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

i call it soda, but ive heard pop many times as well... technically it IS soda pop
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    Best Mage EVAR!

Soft drink in Aussie land

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

In Ohio, I grew up saying "pop", but one day decided to start calling it "soda" instead. Can't remember why I changed that, but it always stuck with me.
    16/16H 13/13H US55 25m - Dragonling WW monk retired July 6, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Should I be surprized that theres a whole database dedicated to this...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Should I be surprized that theres a whole database dedicated to this...?
    People have strange passions nowadays..
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Mechagnome
    In my country we don't use the short "soda" we for some reaon insist on saying "sodavand = soda water" or just brand names, except for coke, that all goes into one category but instead of "coke" we call it "cola".

So in a restaurant you ask for cola they would ask if Pepsi is ok if that's the brand they offer there.

...Soft drink.

...From the UK, I don't think we've ever used Soda or Pop... I think they tried to make 'pop' catch on here once in the nineties but really have you ever heard a brit say it? Sounds dumb. Soda also sounds a bit pretentious and strange when I say it, my accent makes words like that sound awkward. Got some odd looks when I dined in America when ordering (yeah I wasn't in the 'tourist areas' so it was a strange affair)
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Yeah, it's always WAR WAR WAR untill..BY ALL THAT IS HOLY DO YOU SEE THAT ENEMY OVER THERE?? GLORIOUS LOOT!!!!!

Carbonated drink/carbonated beverage. Or just call the specific drink by it's name (e.g. Cola, Fanta, Sprite, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    I always get nostalgic feels from listening to the elywnn music. I could hear the crickets and the moon was out, just running through elwynn down to goldshire. So beautiful. I was checking out the tavern, loved the music. Then a night elf asked me to suck his cock for 15s.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    ...Soft drink.

...From the UK, I don't think we've ever used Soda or Pop... I think they tried to make 'pop' catch on here once in the nineties but really have you ever heard a brit say it? Sounds dumb. Soda also sounds a bit pretentious and strange when I say it, my accent makes words like that sound awkward. Got some odd looks when I dined in America when ordering (yeah I wasn't in the 'tourist areas' so it was a strange affair)
    I have heard a British person say Soda before and it sounded awesome.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Soda, mostly though as some said; Coke, Sprite, Mt Dew, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rebourn View Post
    Soda, mostly though as some said; Coke, Sprite, Mt Dew, etc
    I meant like when you refer to it in general.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    I have heard a British person say Soda before and it sounded awesome.
    If there was another brit within a 10 meter radius he probably got lynched later on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    That said I usually just say "Coke" because it's easier and sounds less pretentious...even if they're just serving me a Pepsi.
    I'm not really sure how saying 'Coke' sounds less pretentious than saying 'soda'. Do you not acknowledge the existence of non-colas?

Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    ...Soft drink.
    "Soft drinks are called "soft" in contrast to "hard drinks" (alcoholic beverages). Small amounts of alcohol may be present in a soft drink, but the alcohol content must be less than 0.5% of the total volume if the drink is to be considered non-alcoholic. Fruit juice, tea, and other such non-alcoholic beverages are technically soft drinks by this definition but are not generally referred to as such."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink

Down here, if its fizzy and it dont get you drunk, its soft.
    "I think our star, the Sun, is highly over rated. At least the moon shines at night, when it's dark. The sun only shines during the day, when it is bright outside anyway."

"Donate my blood? Yeah right, and have my blood swimming around in some other guy's boner? Nice try, buddy." -Jake.

I've always gone with the name of the beverage as it removes the need for any additional questions. I mean if a flat mate, gf/bf, sis/bro, or parent is at the store and you want them to bring you back a <Insert beverage choice here> it just seems to make more sense to ask, "Hey, can you bring me back a <insert beverage>?", in stead of "Hey, can you bring me back a soda/pop/cola/coke?" and have them respond with "Sure, what kind?"

But maybe that's just me not being a huge fan of excessive questions especially when I can give all the information they need with one.

The Mid-West generally calls it Pop, but I've been pretty much been in every direction. So I will give my 2 cents.

Mid-West : Pop
    North East Coast : Soda
    South East Coast : Soda
    South : Soda
    South West : Pop
    West Coast : Pop