Thread: Race Attention

  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    At my computer.
    Posts
    360

    Race Attention

    A recent thread on Adding Races got me thinking: Is Blizzard spending enough time with each race?

    SPOILERS AHEAD

    I've looked over the Alliance and Horde and besides being slightly off balanced-(in the Hordes favor) you just don't really see select groups every once and a while.

    For Instance (I'll bold those who are getting lore----Fraction leaders present means lore...):

    Draenei-Haven't had any major Lore since BC. Sometimes included here or there, but really not much at all... I'll count it cause Variain called for Velen-maybe we see in 5.2

    Worgen/Gilneans-Nothing since cata-Not really that surprising since they just had a lot of time in the sun-Genn was present on a meeting on Pandaria but only said one thing.

    Dwarves-Nothing besides Brann digging in the dirt a bit.

    NE-Getting some this patch.

    Gnomes-Nothing really as always...

    Humans-TONS

    Pandaren-(Both Fractions)-Lorewise how many pandaren are there on both sides? A good 3 dozen at most? And Ji and Aysa haven't been seen since their starting zone...would have expected to see them more on Pandaria.

    Orcs-TONS

    Trolls-A lot-Vol'jin lore and Garrosh taking over Echo Isles

    Tauren-Baine Present on Pandaria, etc... Not to much but enough.

    Undead-Not a peep since Cata/Tides of War.

    BE-A lot-Sunrevers, Lor'Themar, etc.

    Goblins-Present on Pandaria but ehh... not going to count it since no real lore dev.


    So the point I am trying to make here is-Pretty much 2 expansions after a race gets some time in the sun they get it again (at least telling from BE and Varian calling on Velen in 5.2) So my question is: Do we need more devs working to include specific races? Or are we okay with this current system of 2 expansions later? Or if that system doesn't exist-are we okay with just fitting them in when it works?

  2. #2
    The problem is there IS lots of lore for many of these races... in the books.

    Baine and the Tauren was a major part of The Shattering in , in taking back Thunder Bluff from Magatha and her Grimtotem, partially befriending Jaina and Anduin, etc. They also had a large part in Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War as Baine was clearly one of Garrosh's biggest dissenters and he lead the attack on the Northwatch forces in the Barrens alongside Vol'Jin and the Darkspear, outright opposed Garrosh's tactics surrounding Theramore, etc.

    Lor'themar and the Blood Elves have also been getting increasingly more attention both in the Jaina Proudmoore book and in Patch 5.2. I'm sure we'll see more and more as it continues to mount.

    I'm positive Baine and his Tauren, Lor'themar and his Blood Elves will be present and fighting right alongside Vol'Jin, the Darkspear, and Thrall when it comes to the final patch with overthrowing Garrosh (and likely killing his lap dogs Nazgrim and Malkorok).

    Now, for me this is all great because I LOVE to read and Christie Golden is a wonderful writer (seriously love her Warcraft books). But I understand why others don't read them... though they really are missing out on some GREAT stories and lore that are simply better read in a book than seen in a game while mashing buttons. At least in my opinion .

  3. #3
    Feels like the Draenei have had jack squat since BC. This might be why I don't really give a damn either way about them.

    Is it because Blizzard hasn't given them much time to shine or because they are simply uninteresting? That's the conundrum.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    At my computer.
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesingwary-Eliada View Post
    The problem is there IS lots of lore for many of these races... in the books.

    Baine and the Tauren was a major part of The Shattering in , in taking back Thunder Bluff from Magatha and her Grimtotem, partially befriending Jaina and Anduin, etc. They also had a large part in Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War as Baine was clearly one of Garrosh's biggest dissenters and he lead the attack on the Northwatch forces in the Barrens alongside Vol'Jin and the Darkspear, outright opposed Garrosh's tactics surrounding Theramore, etc.

    Lor'themar and the Blood Elves have also been getting increasingly more attention both in the Jaina Proudmoore book and in Patch 5.2. I'm sure we'll see more and more as it continues to mount.

    I'm positive Baine and his Tauren, Lor'themar and his Blood Elves will be present and fighting right alongside Vol'Jin, the Darkspear, and Thrall when it comes to the final patch with overthrowing Garrosh (and likely killing his lap dogs Nazgrim and Malkorok).

    Now, for me this is all great because I LOVE to read and Christie Golden is a wonderful writer (seriously love her Warcraft books). But I understand why others don't read them... though they really are missing out on some GREAT stories and lore that are simply better read in a book than seen in a game while mashing buttons. At least in my opinion .
    True-And I think mostly I included those-but I am also talking about Alliance races.

  5. #5
    What do you mean NE got nothing in 5.1? We were shown even our leader is inept and into facultative subservience to a High King since he, in his 2 years since Cataclysm has some how wisened more than Tyrande's thousands of years of leadership or at least 10 years of her dealing with things in the WoW storyline. Quality lore, I tell you!
    Last edited by Justignoreme; 2013-01-04 at 06:41 AM.

  6. #6
    i don't think it is a conundrum, obviously, it is because Blizzard doesnt spend much time.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,391
    I think Blizzard needs to stop adding races and flesh out the ones they already have.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 12:36 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    What do you mean NE got nothing in 5.1? We were shown even our leader is inept and into facultative subservience to a High King since he, in his 2 years since Cataclysm has some how wisened more than Tyrande's thousands of years of leadership or at least 10 years of her dealing with things in the WoW storyline. Quality lore, I tell you!
    Night Elves have always been headstrong and impulsive. Tyrande opting for a full frontal assault isn't too out of character, This is from a Night Elf player.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral DomesticViolence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,193
    I think Blizzard should have had the Draenei or the Worgen be the ones that made first contact with Pandaria.

    As for the books... I don't care about the books. In game lore is what I care about.

    Why is there no Grimtotem dungeon? That would be awesome.

  9. #9
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,025
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzan28 View Post
    A recent thread on Adding Races got me thinking: Is Blizzard spending enough time with each race?

    SPOILERS AHEAD

    I've looked over the Alliance and Horde and besides being slightly off balanced-(in the Hordes favor) you just don't really see select groups every once and a while.

    For Instance (I'll bold those who are getting lore----Fraction leaders present means lore...):

    Draenei-Haven't had any major Lore since BC. Sometimes included here or there, but really not much at all... I'll count it cause Variain called for Velen-maybe we see in 5.2

    Worgen/Gilneans-Nothing since cata-Not really that surprising since they just had a lot of time in the sun-Genn was present on a meeting on Pandaria but only said one thing.

    Dwarves-Nothing besides Brann digging in the dirt a bit.

    NE-Getting some this patch.

    Gnomes-Nothing really as always...

    Humans-TONS

    Pandaren-(Both Fractions)-Lorewise how many pandaren are there on both sides? A good 3 dozen at most? And Ji and Aysa haven't been seen since their starting zone...would have expected to see them more on Pandaria.

    Orcs-TONS

    Trolls-A lot-Vol'jin lore and Garrosh taking over Echo Isles

    Tauren-Baine Present on Pandaria, etc... Not to much but enough.

    Undead-Not a peep since Cata/Tides of War.

    BE-A lot-Sunrevers, Lor'Themar, etc.

    Goblins-Present on Pandaria but ehh... not going to count it since no real lore dev.


    So the point I am trying to make here is-Pretty much 2 expansions after a race gets some time in the sun they get it again (at least telling from BE and Varian calling on Velen in 5.2) So my question is: Do we need more devs working to include specific races? Or are we okay with this current system of 2 expansions later? Or if that system doesn't exist-are we okay with just fitting them in when it works?
    I can tell you haven't leveled since Cata came out. Each race has tons of lore added, it is mostly available at low levels and you have to quest to get it.

    ie Gnomes got most of Gnomeregan back. We have bases of operations all over the each expansion. Same goes for each race in the game, you just have to level a lore character my recommendation role a level 1 of what ever race you want new lore with do it on a plain jane PVE/RP server. Level slowly.

    Now the two races which need some love at the start are the Draenei and Blood Elves, but that is because all the Burning crusade content has not yet been updated.

    All the rest have new starting quests and story's and a ton of new lore.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Night Elves have always been headstrong and impulsive. Tyrande opting for a full frontal assault isn't too out of character, This is from a Night Elf player.
    Night Elves are masters of the ambush actually. Tyrande being an inept fool when she's fought Orcs longer than Varian is out of character. But Im not going to derail it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Feels like the Draenei have had jack squat since BC. This might be why I don't really give a damn either way about them.

    Is it because Blizzard hasn't given them much time to shine or because they are simply uninteresting? That's the conundrum.
    I never got the " A is uninteresting"
    if something is uninteresting it's because the creator made them that way and it's his/hers job to fix it

    plenty of stuff one could do with the draenei, have a more radical orc hating faction inside it push for war now with the whole horde vs alliance plotline, they have the whole justicar system thingy in place already etc
    much could be done with the faction as it is, blizzard just chooses not give a fuck
    Last edited by Enosh; 2013-01-04 at 10:30 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •