Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I am using Avira Free for years and nothing happened so far(I tend to click every single shit I see without question).

i generally recommend microsoft security essentials to my customers, it's free and designed by microsoft for windows. if anyone knows how a windows system should run, it's microsoft and i've not had any problems with it so far.

however i have found the AVG is pants and so is McAfee (spelling?), they are both pretty good at letting infections in and i've had to uninstall it on multiple machines that have been virus infected.

another useful tool for when you do get an infection (usually caused by clicking on something bad accidentally, rather than dodgy patching) is spybot search and destroy, mostly because it can be run, updated and dissinfect from safe mode - which as a pc recovery guy just makes my life a billion times easier, as in most cases, viruses will not run in safe mode, so being able to scan and dissinfect in safe mode is a massive bonus.

there's probably some other good ones out there, but i knows these ones well and have tried and tested them over a long period of time. spybot has been consistently good and MSSE has been excellent since it launched a couple of years ago.
    where's the goddamned ESO sub forum?

AVG Free; used it for years with no issues.
    "Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you." - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

I consider Norton a virus as itself. It does often enough more harm than good. McAffee simply sucks.
    Both are failing times and again. Your system is infected. Chances are Norton and/or McA won't catch the virus at all.

AVAST, hands down. AVG isn't bad (essentially they are almost the same), but Avast is just easier to the system.
    Kaspersky is hands down the best pure commercial anti virus software out there.

AVG Free, just brilliant.

I dont use anything you have to pay for. I run CC cleaner, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryl View Post
    AVG FREE - not sure why no-one else has said this.
    This, used AVG and Malware for long time. They both work great together.

Im sure other options are fine aswell, but I atleast always tough McAfee and Norton sucked. UI, not very light weight etc, and other things that just made me dislike em.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

What about Bitdefender? Any good?

The local computer store recommends AVG (free or purchased). They say to stay away from CCleaner because it's a waste of money and does simple things you can do yourself. If you have success with it or don't like to clean your computer yourself, it may be money well spent. I know my mate recommends Spybot for anti-spyware program.

The reason I don't like Norton is it's notorious for missing viruses. Also, Norton qualifies as a virus itself. Read this for more information (if you don't like the site for some reason, that's fine, but I think the information is useful).

Image created by Brienna

CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2014 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    The local computer store recommends AVG (free or purchased). They say to stay away from CCleaner because it's a waste of money and does simple things you can do yourself. If you have success with it or don't like to clean your computer yourself, it may be money well spent. I know my mate recommends Spybot for anti-spyware program.

The reason I don't like Norton is it's notorious for missing viruses. Also, Norton qualifies as a virus itself. Read this for more information (if you don't like the site for some reason, that's fine, but I think the information is useful).
    Good store you got going there:P. Avg is troublesome to fully remove (you'll have to go into the registry and remove the last pieces manually 9/10 times) and does a worse job than norton (notorious for missing viruses is bullshit, nortons scanner has been above average for years), if anything that program is closer to a virus. If you have to use a free AV, get avast. CCleaner has a free version and basically just saves you the trouble of doing the things yourself.

I would suggest you to go with Comodo Antivirus, I am using for past 1 year .... Its good in safeguarding pc from all kinds of internet malware attacks. For more details visit antivirus.comodo.com/

Avast is the best and ever used in my PC

I've used Eset for years, and have had good results.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells
    You don't get to troll, lie, and treat government like a game for your own purposes and then expect to be treated like a statesmen. Fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I dont use anything you have to pay for. I run CC cleaner, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes.

I don't have to pay for norton. It's free for life with Comcast. My internet providor
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock]

kaspersky is a pretty good paid for antivirus.

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    Very good if you know what you do...But pretty intense for basic users...Avast is better for beginners. But if the OP knows his stuff...yeah NOD32 is the best
    We sold hundreds of NOD32 retail boxes at work and never had clients calling us for questions. The only issue we had was 2+ years ago (v4.0 I believe), registration was kind of annoying so we had to do it for them but since v5.0, registration is very easy and anyone can do it. As for the User Interface, sure there is a lot of advanced options but default options are just fine, you don't really need to mess with Adv options.

Kaspersky is great too but takes a lot of resources, not recommended for Laptops.
    Last edited by Warrax; 2013-01-08 at 05:49 PM.
    Warrax, Worgen Fury Warrior

Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz / ASUS P8Z77-V PRO / 16GB G.Skill RAM 1866 / GTX 670 Windforce / Samsung 840 SSD

NOD32 or FPROT I would say. Both are light weight and unobtrusive while being very effective.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-