Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Can anyone recommend a good anti-virus software?

I'm currently using these programs:

Ccleaner
    Malwarebytes
    Norton Security Suite

can any recommend any additional programs or programs I should swap out for others just for the basic wellness of my computer?
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock]

Solid combination really, ccleaner and malwarebytes are nice to have together with any solid anti-virus. Just make sure to not use any conflicting software with them (make sure that your firewall+windows defender is disabled, don't use any of the programs below with norton installed).

Norton used to be shitty long ago but have improved a lot over the last few years so you should have no problems with that setup (it's more pricy despite not being better than all other options though). I'm personally using f-secure (I used to work there so I know the program inside out) which is one of the better programs. Another solid (arguably the best) anti-virus is kaspersky. Just stay away from scams like mcafee and avg (both are obnoxious programs, mcafee takes the cake though) and you'll generally be fine.

Note: My rankings above are based on what I knew two years ago since I haven't bothered looking into them after I quit my work, may very well be incorrect these days.

avast
    /tenchar
    Quote Originally Posted by lawlpoo View Post
    IF YOU CAN'T COMPETE IN ARENAS YOU AREN'T GOING TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE IN RATED BGS!! LEARN TO PLAY!!!

F-Secure has been simple and secure for me.

Note that ccleaner is not an anti virus but a software that removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    But well - you don't really eat something that speaks to you, is part of "your people"

Considering the amount of stuff hiding in your temp. files you can either clean them out on your own once in a while or view ccleaner as an additional AV:P

I'm not using any. Can't help you there. Would not recommend using Avast though, it makes older computers inoperable due to the frantic scanning of everything so i'm pretty sure it has a performance impact on any new system aswell.

PandaCloud or Microsoft Security Essentials for your Anti-Virus programs.

Paid for AV's aren't necessarily in the business of preventing viruses --- In order to keep buying the latest and greatest, there was to be demand caused by imminent threat. Best AV's are the free ones like mentioned above. Safe web practices cannot be beat as well.

Remove Norton and you'll be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I'm not using any. Can't help you there. Would not recommend using Avast though, it makes older computers inoperable due to the frantic scanning of everything so i'm pretty sure it has a performance impact on any new system aswell.
    I've seen a fair few anti-virus programs and Avast is definitely one of the least of the frantic scanners, the worst ones I've seen for background scanning are Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton but it does definitely also depend on what other processes you have running. There's a certain printer driver I know for example that triggers some AV software into a constant scan loop, uninstall the driver and the scanning stops.

In order to keep buying the latest and greatest, there was to be demand caused by imminent threat.
    Sadly many of these imminent threats are created by insiders of the AV software companies themselves, this is basically how the AV industry got bootstrapped into existence in the first place.

Notice how much of the malware in the wild is non-destructive compared to stuff that corrupts all your data. They want you to buy anti-virus software, blowing up your hard disc wouldn't be in their best interests.

Mechagnome
    FLush norton for Avast and you're all set !

I use the following because IM cheap.

RKill, ComboFix, Malwarebytes, MS Security essentuals(AV) its lighter than Nod32 and free.

I use Ninite to update 3rd party browsers, runtimes(Java, flash, etc), acrobat reader, malwarebytes, and thats about it.

Ms Essentials + malaware bytes thats it
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

Hasn't been anything wrong with norton (it's significantly better than most of the suggestions here) for a lot of years. That it used to be very heavy about 8 years ago is true, not anymore though.

Good thing colwraith mentioned RKill, really useful program if you happen to get infected after all, especially by rogue security software. Not really something you run if everything is working properly though.

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    nod32, lightweight yet very thorough.
    Very good if you know what you do...But pretty intense for basic users...Avast is better for beginners. But if the OP knows his stuff...yeah NOD32 is the best

AVG FREE - not sure why no-one else has said this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryl View Post
    AVG FREE - not sure why no-one else has said this.
    I've used this one, it's not bad. My complaint is it will constantly tab me out of wow,
    no other games just wow. Probably something on my end but annoying nonetheless.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

MSE, regular scanning with malwarebytes and spybot. Every now and again I'll run CCleaner to get rid of redundant registry entries etc.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

The Patient
    Kaspersky

Else Avast free