Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    I'm just going to add any thief that tries to steal things WHILE SOMEONE IS IN THE HOUSE, is a terrible thief.
    They do that quite a lot, while the inhabitants are sleeping, and sometimes even when they are not sleeping, with a high success rate too. Hop in, grab a laptop/tv/whatever, hop out, done in 2 mins tops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    alarm will go off and the robber gets a free gun.
    If a robber really wants something he's going to steal it period, still does not take away from the fact that I am safer in my home with accessible loaded weapons.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    Except my watch can't assist in mass murders.
    guess I better not have any fertilizer in my garage then either.... while we're at it better get rid of all my knives... that propane tank is explosive too, and better get rid of the gasoline to power my lawnmower as it could be made into a incendiary device as well.
    Last edited by Clevername; 2013-01-04 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    They do that quite a lot, while the inhabitants are sleeping, and sometimes even when they are not sleeping, with a high success rate too. Hop in, grab a laptop/tv/whatever, hop out, done in 2 mins tops.
    And increase the likely hood of someone seeing you and getting caught by a high percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    If a robber really wants something he's going to steal it period, still does not take away from the fact that I am safer in my home with accessible loaded weapons.
    I feel perfectly safe in my home without a loaded weapon or a weapon of any kind (unless you count kitchen knives). The funny part is someone did try and break into my house once almost 14 years ago and never got beyond the basement window burglar bars, they gave up before I was even done with the 9-1-1 operator and never saw me or heard me.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Maybe it's just me or my 10 years of Tang Soo Do training/hobby. Gun vs. Knife/bat/bar/fist/etc. is not self defense imo.

guess I better not have any fertilizer in my garage then either....
    you are probably more at risk of shooting yourself than I who doesn't have a gun in my house, or fertilizer for that matter.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Takes me about 1 second to pull my gun off the nightstand and be ready to play, then again I have no kids, have (and arm) my security system and have 2 (albeit small and yipee) dogs. I have no problem leaving my guns out, loaded and ready. I keep one next to the front door, one in the office and one besides my bed all loaded at all times.

All that being said I live in the south (USA) in a very gun happy, redneck neighborhood, crime doesn't happen here for the simple fact that anyone with common sense knows all the houses in my neighborhood have weapons in them.
    While I'm glad that your neighborhood is pretty crime free, if an intruder was going to kill you, he'd be awfully likely to do it with one of your own weapons in that house.

guess I better not have any fertilizer in my garage then either....
    Your right, cause unless you are a farmer you might get some guys in suits coming to visit if you are stockpiling fertilizer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    If the safe is in your room, probably is pretty fast provided it's, say, a pin-locked safe. A rotatory one might be a bit slower but remember if you're woken out of a deep sleep the seconds it takes you to even clear your head and realize something is wrong could be the end.

Not that a safe would necessarily change that, of course.
    It is called training, it is the reason the army train to assemble and dissemble their weapons blindfolded. You do it so often that it simply becomes second nature, no matter how dark or clear headed you are.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    At the times I'm alone in the house (living at my parents again due to employment issues) I keep a rather large wrench by the stairs up (yay for renting a basement room). For when i think someone's breaking in.
    Since the chance anyone breaking in has more than a knife is basicly nothing, and they'll more likely bolt the minute they hear someone is home, I feel very protected with it.
    It's a good size to give me better reach than general easily hidden knives, and can easily be used in tight corridors. I feel far safer with that close than I would with guns lying around.
    If swung propperly and hit correctly I can easily down someone in one hit. So why do I need a gun for home protection?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    As Rich said, the time it takes to get a gun from a safe is miniscule.
    How about instead of locking the gun in a safe, put it in a place where your kids cant access / dont know about. That way you can just get it when and if (heaven forbid) you ever need to in a moments notice.

There is almost no point in having a gun for self defense. About the only legitimate reasons to have one are hunting so lock it up when you aren't hunting, and range shooting, and keep it locked up when you aren't at the range or on your way there.

You clearly don't understand the criminals of today then. If those who would cause you harm are armed to a certain degree, then you yourself need to armed similarly so as to be on a level playing field to stop them. Not to mention the concept of deterrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    How about instead of locking the gun in a safe, put it in a place where your kids cant access / dont know about. That way you can just get it when and if (heaven forbid) you ever need to in a moments notice.
    once again a robber in an empty house is going to be looking for places like this, now there is a gun on the loose.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    If you can't afford a safe, you can't afford a gun. Period.
    I can afford one, I choose not to buy one, well not a gun safe anyway. I have a fireproof safe for documents / paperwork but I can hardly fit an assault rifle in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gun owner who keeps his guns in a safe here! Let me run you down the list, OP.

1. Keep your safe in an easily accessible area.
    2. Keep your key in a hidden place near the safe. Always know exactly where that is.
    3. Practice a few times. If you can't get from any point in your house to having your gun safe open in about a minute or less, you need to move your gunsafe/key.

Having you firearms out in the open is not the answer. People want to steal your guns, so lock them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkiy View Post
    You clearly don't understand the criminals of today then. If those who would cause you harm are armed to a certain degree, then you yourself need to armed similarly so as to be on a level playing field to stop them. Not to mention the concept of deterrence.
    ok so each individual should have nuclear arms ok.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Monkiy View Post
    So now we are applying MAD to home protection. Love it.

ok so each individual should have nuclear arms ok.
    I like the way you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok so what if you get robbed when you are not there and they just take your gun because it is lying out?
    Well given the fact that, that idiot reporter for the NY newspaper disclosed the names / addresses and locations of registered gun owners in the greater NY area, yeah it could happen. But if an intruder wants to get your gun, they can. Key word --> Want.

I can afford one, I choose not to buy one, well not a gun safe anyway. I have a fireproof safe for documents / paperwork but I can hardly fit an assault rifle in it.
    WTF do you have an assault rifle for?

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Well given the fact that, that idiot reporter for the NY newspaper disclosed the names / addresses and locations of registered gun owners in the greater NY area, yeah it could happen. But if an intruder wants to get your gun, they can. Key word --> Want.
    if you have a gun what are you worried about?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

WTF do you have an assault rifle for?
    Hunting, duh!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.