Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As others said, you or your mother have to get power of attorney. It shouldn't be too hard since her past is well documented, but just may take some time and some money for lawyer fees.

I just cannot believe no matter how rough it got. You would seriously consider throwing her in a Mental Hospital where they keep you to a bed all day. It's just scary some of the story's you hear from that. I understand shes making a rough patch. Isn't that what family's do. Is help each other in a time of extreme crises. I would rather keep her at the House and some Outpatient care then drop her off to who knows where.

By dropping her off its symbolic that you would rather kick her out of your life despite take care of her mental illness. Instead of acting like she irate you every time she speaks in Gibberish. Actually try speaking to her. If you just ignore her and leave her to her own devices then complain when she gets off her mind. It's not really fair she did not choose to be mentally ill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    I just cannot believe no matter how rough it got. You would seriously consider throwing her in a Mental Hospital where they keep you to a bed all day. It's just scary some of the story's you hear from that. I understand shes making a rough patch. Isn't that what family's do. Is help each other in a time of extreme crises. I would rather keep her at the House and some Outpatient care then drop her off to who knows where.

By dropping her off its symbolic that you would rather kick her out of your life despite take care of her mental illness. Instead of acting like she irate you every time she speaks in Gibberish. Actually try speaking to her. If you just ignore her and leave her to her own devices then complain when she gets off her mind. It's not really fair she did not choose to be mentally ill.
    I think you missed the point entirely. We have been trying for over 10 years to get her help. We did not press charges because we did not want her to go to jail. We wanted her to get medical help. I understand that you are trying to empathize here, but you really have no idea what you are talking about. Also, this is not the 19th century. In this day and age the mentally ill have all the rights. The families have none. Again, this is not anything new. This is not the first commitment. Again, we are exhausted. She can't stay with my parents. My father is afraid of her and now I will not let my mother be alone with her either.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'm pretty sure after the 10th time they'd most likely threaten to charge her for harassment. The 25th or 30th time they probably would charge her... They would not let it go up to 300 times...

So, care to tell us the real truth?
    I wish that I was exaggerating. Believe me or not, I do not care. I am going by what the sergeant told me. I am not trying to get attention or I would have gone through her history of psychotic behavior, but that would take days to write and I try to block out a lot of it.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I think you missed the point entirely. We have been trying for over 10 years to get her help. We did not press charges because we did not want her to go to jail. We wanted her to get medical help. I understand that you are trying to empathize here, but you really have no idea what you are talking about. Also, this is not the 19th century. In this day and age the mentally ill have all the rights. The families have none. Again, this is not anything new. This is not the first commitment. Again, we are exhausted. She can't stay with my parents. My father is afraid of her and now I will not let my mother be alone with her either.

I wish that I was exaggerating. Believe me or not, I do not care. I am going by what the sergeant told me. I am not trying to get attention or I would have gone through her history of psychotic behavior, but that would take days to write and I try to block out a lot of it.
    This is my own point of view. I think its the principal behind it. Speaking as someone who has a family with some mental illness. It still sounds like you are throwing her out into the cold. Mentally Ill hospital's are almost like Prisons they are stripped of most their rights. Told what to do and when to do it. I do not see any difference from that and a super max prison.

I understand your heavy burden will be lifted off dropping her off. However hers will just start. If you least do it make sure she has all the money for medical care and past. It's still disturbing rather giving up on a family member leaving them feeling alone and isolated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Services get cut because people do not take advantage of them. I know a couple of behavior analyst who are looking for clients.

Seriously you need to get her in a program. Not a state facility, those usually suck, but a facility that state certifies.

I work in a group home. A lot of times families feel like they are abandoning their loved ones but thats not really not the case. The reality is that most couple are not equip to deal with a person who is mental handicapped and a lot of these actually hurt the development process. A home will allow her needs to be catered to as well as teach her ways to manage her disability in a structured environment. Things that will be provided to her: trained staff, support coordinators, behavioral analyst, job/behavior programs, adequate medical services. Family still has the final say in everything but a lot of the stress is taken off of your shoulders. Relationships tend improve as well since there isn't so much when you are around each other.

Seriously, a lot of mentally ill people DON'T get adequate help because they family doesn't seek it. They only time the person might get support for their illness is after a crisis has happened. But just having a behavior analyst stop by once or twice a week helps a lot. The longer you wait, the more they are set in their ways, they harder it is for any sort of behavior modification to work.

OP you said that schizophrenic people do not seek out help? A lot of times the case is the exact opposite. When they are taught to recognize their illness they are to communicate whats going on in their heads to other people even if they cannot control it. This doesn't mean that episodes stop. What usually happens is that when certain urges are coming on or if they are feeling confused they can let people around them know or they can try to seek help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Mentally Ill hospital's are almost like Prisons they are stripped of most their rights. Told what to do and when to do it. I do not see any difference from that and a super max prison.
    There isn't much difference. Prison is likely more dangerous, but you can still be severely injured by other patients in psych wards depending on the stability of those around you. Many psych wards don't differentiate between perfectly sane, reasonable, and lucid patients whose lives suck and those who are literally living inside their own realities. Often both types of patients are put together with explosive and sometimes dangerous results.

Psych wards are hell holes that I believe are not a legitimate option for most cases. They are used far too often and accomplish very little. Step inside a psych ward and you'll find most of the people there are on their 4th or 5th visit. These kinds of facilities aren't equipped to actually handle the problems they're handed. All it does is deprive people of freedom, destroy one's identity, and create huge conflict in relationships.

OP, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe take Pacox's advice and get her into an actual group home out of state. If the programs in your area are ill equipped than you may want to consider one that isn't in your area. Your sister is very ill and she needs to be medicated.