Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    Looks like Titan's future just became a little more bleak.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzar...s-page-6413578
    Not really bleak...I mean we already know they scaled the team way back to retool the core of the game. That would mean that they probably don't need any additional staff.

So the two most likely solutions are:

1. They have a full staff for what they want to do and don't need to hire anyone else.
    2. Are figuring out who, if anyone, they want to bring on during this retooling phase.

I don't see how that's any more bleak than its status was when the announcement of the reduction in team size was made >.>

It also doesn't mention Hearthstone staff recruitment in that article, does that mean Hearthstone's future is bleak? no.

Just because they aren't hiring for certain departments doesn't mean anything apart from they aren't recruiting anyone for that department. Companies don't find spots to fill, they find people to fill spots.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    Looks like Titan's future just became a little more bleak.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzar...s-page-6413578
    Liked that comment from the link regarding Bungie and Destiny. Not knowing anything about the game...sounds like it could be promising. Also does sound a lot like some of the rumors that we kept hearing about Titan...

Titan was actually Pong 2. Blizzard had been developing it for 20 years. They were almost at the part where they decide on a game engine.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Liked that comment from the link regarding Bungie and Destiny. Not knowing anything about the game...sounds like it could be promising. Also does sound a lot like some of the rumors that we kept hearing about Titan...
    Honestly, I can't see Blizzard not knowing about Destiny (and vice versa) from the second that Bungie started working on it. That's the kind of thing that your studio heads at other studios should be knowing about and strategizing around. Having two companies under the same umbrella working on supposedly identical games because neither is talking to each other is amazingly foolish and amateurish.

All careers from Blizzard website about unannounced mmo game are gone
    http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company...#region=Global

there is only one reason why would titan be cancelled in its current form and back to the drawing board, blizzard felt the game would not be succesful given today standard and the competition.

Which to me seems rather odd. This is a studio with more ressource than any on the planet except valve, how can they lose their edge and creativity. This is the one studio that has the mean to push the MMO genre boundaries and they back off, strange.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Which to me seems rather odd. This is a studio with more ressource than any on the planet except valve, how can they lose their edge and creativity. This is the one studio that has the mean to push the MMO genre boundaries and they back off, strange.
    Maybe they thought Titan would cannibalize too much players from WoW or other games in its current implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Which to me seems rather odd. This is a studio with more ressource than any on the planet except valve, how can they lose their edge and creativity.
    I think they need some new blood, most of the people in significant creative positions have been working at Blizzard for a long time. Also seem to be age 40+ when the average gamer is 18-22.

Could be totally wrong about that, just my opinion.

If you think about it this is no big surprise. I think when they announced they were "going back to the drawing board" so to speak that a lot of the Titan team would be moved onto various other projects. So it makes sense that they would stop all recruitment. Currently they don't need lots of people to build models, do art work and code quests etc. Although taking the adverts off the sites does suggest that the drawing board stage may be longer than we originally expected. I would say Titan is officially "on ice" now.

Why would they do that? Could be a number of reasons. It could be that WoW has performed better than they expected at this stage in it's life and they're happy with the subscriber numbers and are confident they can keep turning a reasonable profit for the next X years. This fits with some comments they've made where they've talked about people coming back for expansions and a plan to release expansions quicker. Maybe they never expected this and had planned to need another MMO.. but they're happy to sit back and let WoW continue.

They may simply have not been happy with the game they were producing, perhaps feeling that it simply wasn't good enough. Blizzard have scrapped a number of projects in development. If it wasn't reaching their high standards, it's natural they might decide to start over.

Or it could be due to other MMOs coming soon. When EQN was revealed it did seem natural to wonder if that was the game that rocked the Blizzard boat a little too much.

We may never know.

So now that it's been pushed back, when do you think we'll get AT LEAST a reveal? I wish 2015, but even that seems optimistic.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-08-26 at 06:40 AM.

Still hoping taking devs off the Titan team was in order to revamp WoW, which is their proven big money MMO thus their most important franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Still hoping taking devs off the Titan team was in order to revamp WoW, which is their proven big money MMO thus their most important franchise.
    Now that they have removed their 'next gen MMO' from the careers page, I'm assuming Titan is more or less shut down at this point. I also imagine it was to put all their muscle behind their proven franchises and I think it's going to turn out to be a great success for them.

While they likely aren't going to reclaim WoW subs to their peak again, they are going to have to find ways to pull revenue from a smaller people. Enter a cash shop that we likely don't want, but combined with quicker and better content I think they will find their comfort zone.

Additionally, just the initial details on D3:RoS shows that they plowed some manpower into its development which will also likely put that game where it should have been all along. I expect the next few years for them to regain that dominant development they had all those years past.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Additionally, just the initial details on D3:RoS shows that they plowed some manpower into its development which will also likely put that game where it should have been all along. I expect the next few years for them to regain that dominant development they had all those years past.
    2 years seems plenty of time for that content with the original team. Why would they add more manpower to that? The guys doing the bulk of the content probably worked on the expansion right after D3 release.

Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    2 years seems plenty of time for that content with the original team. Why would they add more manpower to that? The guys doing the bulk of the content probably worked on the expansion right after D3 release.
    Normally you'd be right, but they have a new director and are probably tossing just about every feature they can into this thing to make sure it isn't seen as a failure by the community.

The fact that they couldn't even fix the loot before the expansion tells me they didn't do a whole lot of meaningful work since it released. Seems more like lots of trial and error with little progress or else we would have heard/seen it before now. Also they probably had a lot of people working on transition D3 to consoles. I wager that was their priority at that time.
    BAD WOLF

After having watched Blizzcon 2 times I sat wondering - what the heck is that Titan project? No explanations, no hints whatsoever on top of the possible cancellation announced in May, if I'm not mistaken.

Then it struck me.

Looking at the "leaked slate" from 2011 (link), which is not-so-accurate anymore, it was planned for late 2013 release. We've been told that the development is already in progress (2011), maybe started even earlier (2009?). We have never seen any original art, nor any useful information about the atmosphere of the game, only that it will be a "next-gen MMO", whatever that is.

Now - what IF Titan is World of Warcraft (sounds crazy, but hear me out) - not a game, but process of some sort? Maybe "next-gen MMO" is WoW? Maybe Titan is happening RIGHT NOW, and it has been since 2009-2010, beginning with Cataclysm? What WoW needed at the end of Wrath of the Lich King? Freshness, dynamics, "upgrade". They started it in Cataclysm with high-quality models in new races, redesign of the world, a lot of new textures, models, etc. Mists of Pandaria continued with greatly detailed zones and new race, superior to the previous ones in terms of quality, even Worgen/Goblin, babysteps in new mechanics, technologies (farm, Timeless Isle, Scenarios, Flex).

Now, Warlords of Draenor - major overhaul of already existing core mechanics of the game - itemization, stats, inventory. New models. Reinvented PvE/PvP systems (good or bad - it's subjective and NOT the point of this thread so please refrain from flaming, it is change after all), Garrisons, pile of new mechanics, new quest and reward system.

What if it's what Titan is? A process to "upgrade" WoW, to slowly and gradually increase its quality to meet current requirements? It has always been a great game and it still is, but lacking in visual fidelity and accessibility for many people. What if Titan's purpose is to change that? What if they try to level-up World of Warcraft to the point where it won't feel antediluvian compared to newest MMOs?

And its name, why I haven't think of it sooner! IF I am right, it WILL be a new beginning for WoW, a re-origination.

Do you see where am I going with this? Maybe Project Titan is a Reply Code Omega?

"It is in the universe's best interest to re-originate this planet should my analysis find systemic corruption." ~Algalon the Observer

P.S. By no means I consider Cataclysm/MoP/WoD better than original trio. I absolutely loved Vanilla, same as BC/WotLK and pretty much every expansion. I had a big break in Cataclysm, worst expansion of all so far imho, but still great. I have been just tired with farming. I do not think WoW in WotLK times needed an upgrade, it was great back then and it is great now. I'm just trying to approach this from the developer's point of view, standing on the brink of possible WoW's antiquation.

If I missed the facts somewhere or am simply wrong - correct me, I still think (hope?) that's possible.
    Last edited by Spray; 2013-11-15 at 10:41 PM.

Blizz has said it's a new IP (new content all around) AND that they basicly had to restart the project. http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzar...s-page-6413578

So no, it's not a change to WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Blizz has said it's a new IP (new content all around) AND that they basicly had to restart the project. http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzar...s-page-6413578

This.

I don't see why you guys are acting like it's been shelved etc. The original Titan project was going to take what, 6-7 years total to get out? And they just recently announced that they have literally restarted the project. Even assuming they're keeping the same game engine, that gives it another good 4-5 years before it'll be out now. Of course we won't be able to get a preview if a month and a half ago they said they hadn't even decided what genre it would be yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post

Yeah, everything they say is always true, this is why I'm customizing my character's dance moves as of typing this. *winks*

Ok, I agree, you got a point, pretty strong one. Still, it would make so much sense. *sobs*

Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    This.

I don't see why you guys are acting like it's been shelved etc. The original Titan project was going to take what, 6-7 years total to get out? And they just recently announced that they have literally restarted the project. Even assuming they're keeping the same game engine, that gives it another good 4-5 years before it'll be out now. Of course we won't be able to get a preview if a month and a half ago they said they hadn't even decided what genre it would be yet.
    5 positions up grabs on the career page
    http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company...#region=Global