Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What grabbed me about GW2!

Most of you won't care but I figured I want to share my experiences with the community.

Last month I was totally bored with WoW and wanted something new to play so I went to the GW2 website, knowing little about the game from the previous beta. I saw it was on sale 50 bucks for the 70 bucks value or whatever, so I figured what the hell.

I logged on in GW2, and haven't logged on WoW since. I just love all the choices I have and all the freedoms I have in that game! I was bored and didn't feel like killing stuff so I explored Lion's arch fully did the 3 puzzles and bam got almost 2 levels. The next time I wanted to farm some copper for lvling armorsmithing and walking around the low lvl areas I kept seeing events poping up, figured why not go and kill a few things while I take a break from farming and again while farming bam almost 2 levels.

I love the scaling down levels, I can go exploring different low lvl zones and actually do the quests while exploring and still level. I feel like they designed it very well.

I love the jumping puzzles! I would pay 60 bucks just for expansion with jumping puzzles.

I love how exploring is rewarded (not like WoW, after wall walking was removed).

Most of all I like the community, people seem much friendlier than WoW and asking noobish questions is ok in /map and you don't get trolled as in WoW.

Figured I'd share my first impressions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome home
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    when did they change the leveling nerf? O.o

I agree, the community in the game is great. There are quite a few whiners in forums (especially in profession-forums where everyone claims that "his" profession is the weakest of them all) but in general people here are awesome Dungeon-experiences are so much more fun when you don't depend on tanks and healers, since you rely on yourself. Because of this people are much more relaxed in dungeon-runs and I never had any pug-group where someone had an argument with an other team-member. There are no wannabe tanks who wipe the whole group by charging into a mob-pack while others are still healing up - not gonna happen.

I didn't expect this, but I'm actually happy to meet other people in the world. You can't griefe others, so you can only help them. My friend was shocked as he got beaten down by a group of mobs and a stranger came to help and revived him.

Funny story: at the Karka Event after the boss-battle I fell into the lava-pool. I had no chance and died. As I followed the group without watching for waypoints, my nearest was the spawnpoint on the map... far away from the loot-chest. Suddenly people around (there were a lot in the area because the battle had just ended) jumped into the lava and tried to revive me. Well, two others died beside me and our corpses laid burning in the pool. But those crazy people worked on it and helped me and the other 2 bit by bit until we all were back alive. I've never experienced such a thing in a game until then.

The feels are good here, indeed.

Having played WoW for 8 years straight beforehand (no breaks in my sub), I found GW2 to be an incredible experience.
    Last edited by Arajal; 2013-01-05 at 07:58 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post
    The feels are good here, indeed.

Having played WoW for 8 years straight beforehand (no breaks in my sub), I found GW2 to be an incredible experience.
    I know the feeling, it's a great change of pace.

Yes, all of this Not to mention the clever changes from WoW. Like;not having to log on another char(r) looking for items, man I love it!

The community..well, I play on a high populated server and it is so damn quiet all the time, especially in the hub(s). You get the occasional random person who writes something during the peak hours, but that's about it. However, outside the hub, people tend to chat more.
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Deleted
    I have to echo all the thoughts in this thread really, the game truly has done an amazing job of making the world a much friendlier and generally happier place to be. Meeting people out in the wild is both fun and helpful, and I can't tell you how many friends I've made simply by bumping into someone in trouble and helping them out, and then continuing to quest the zone with them. I don't know if this has happened to anybody else, but there seems to be a real group mentality forced into people when they play the game, I began running around on my own, met someone else, ran around with him, then 2 others joined us, and before we knew it there were 6 of us running around together questing and adventuring, I've NEVER known that happen in any other game, kudos to arenanet for cracking the code on how to make communities better.

Same thing with me. When I jest logged in to Guild Wars 2 I haven't logged back in on WoW, even let the account expire with no interest of returning anytime soon. GW2 is just so much more fun and fresh. Yeah it might just be another gear grind at 80 but the community is soooo much better than the elitists that WoW has.

What has really grabbed you is that you will under no circumstances get back your $60, so you will have to find a justification of spending them. Let's see will you still have this urge in a couple of weeks.

ah Takhisis is back... again

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What has really grabbed you is that you will under no circumstances get back your $60, so you will have to find a justification of spending them. Let's see will you still have this urge in a couple of weeks.
    Seriously Tack? Don't you have something better to do with your life than to constantly come back here and troll? If not, you really should find something, you're really starting to reach a whole new level of pathetic with your continuing returns.

People actually respond to Tackhisis? That's what he wants.

Guys, this is a thread where someone is expressing their enthusiasm for the game. Not everyone need share it, of course.

Do try to ignore disruption and stay on topic, however. -- Fencers

I felt the same way for the first couple of weeks, haven't logged in since. The combat was a bit clunky always waiting on cd's and mostly auto-attacking on my engi, even if I swapped kits back and forth (Grenades were great fun!). Also I would get a lot of canceled abilities if I hit my hotkeys too fast, either that or one of them wouldn't go off even though the GCD was down. Not saying the game is bad or trying to bash just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    Also I would get a lot of canceled abilities if I hit my hotkeys too fast, either that or one of them wouldn't go off even though the GCD was down.
    Not going to quibble with your preferences but this part here I should comment on. It is by design in that if you aren't facing your target (lets say you try to activate an ability with you back turned to your target) and you select a skill it will activate a cooldown on it and the ability won't go off.

My favorite thing was the platforming in the game. Something about Vistas made me so happy. (Coming from a longtime LoZ fan.) Although I haven't gotten far in leveling (about 15 iirc), but these captured me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Not going to quibble with your preferences but this part here I should comment on. It is by design in that if you aren't facing your target (lets say you try to activate an ability with you back turned to your target) and you select a skill it will activate a cooldown on it and the ability won't go off.
    Ya was most likely my fault that the abilities canceled. It just felt wrong that my spells just suddenly were unavailable for use.

I do dislike the ability queue in the game. Though it's not too bug a deal since auto attacking is by design highly important. It does throw my timing off when I play after a session in another game however.

I would like some way to turn it off ala SWTOR or Rift. Or at least visualize it on screen like Tera or Aion.

Overall I think the combat is pretty good for a Western MMO. Not quite Vindictus, MH, Tera or Raiderz level combat. Awfully close though.

I just love that I feel no pressure in this game. Maybe it is because I am not paying 15 bucks a month, but even if I don't log on and play I don't care.

Guys you should try the jumping puzzle in Leonar's pass (sp?) the most fun ever!