Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    100% NOT a scam.

You'd be a jerk, but I guess it's pretty obvious that you don't care about that.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Who cares about ethics if you post from an alt in trade? Use a random lvl 72 alt maybe :P
    And someone could use wowprogress to check who the alt belongs to.

For example, these are all of your alts apparently.

Sicktrickx, Komnar, Fireheart, Kyndreia, Kaliteia, Blazeweaver, Tayanu, Dreodoom
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I did this a few years ago (3?) when I was a scumbag. I received a 3 hours suspension had the item removed from me and the player refunded.

The policy MAY have changed since then.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No that's not scamming. Why would that be scamming?
    Directly not scamming, but not fair trade.

* Scamming
    - You trick someone into buying a item, of coures you never force them but you appeal them to.
    - You're not buying the item afterall, it was just to market yourself.
    - You're making profit on a lie and the poor guy sits there with a item that has been paid at a overprice and no seller.

Now you can say it's not a scam due to being that he was stupid enough to buy it etc. But in general this is a scam and goes under those categories.

Deleted
    This is a role playing game. You play different characters to play different roles, they're not supposed to be the 'same people'. If one character wants to sell an item for 7k, that's his or her business. If one character wants to buy an item for 10k gold, and then happens to change his or her mind, that's his or her business. The two have nothing to do with each other so there's nothing wrong at all with doing this, it's just role playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    This is a role playing game. You play different characters to play different roles, they're not supposed to be the 'same people'. If one character wants to sell an item for 7k, that's his or her business. If one character wants to buy an item for 10k gold, and then happens to change his or her mind, that's his or her business. The two have nothing to do with each other so there's nothing wrong at all with doing this, it's just role playing.
    Yah right. And the guy using speed hacks is just roleplaying someone who was dropped in the swiftness cauldron as a baby.

Deleted
    You'll get really bad rep on your realm if you do this, this method has been around pretty much start the start and is pretty common, most cases people will notice something fishy is going on and start reporting you or just general hate from many players on the realm.

Not something I would do, legit or not.

Deleted
    Yes, it is, but not every GM will do so. If you've been reported multiple times or done this multiple times, you will get banned. Only for 3 hours of course, but still...

Apart from that, it's a shitty thing to do and I hope you get permanently banned for even considerig scamming people.

Say I post an item from an alt for 7k gold and its really just worth 3k, and I say in trade WTB "THIS ITEM" for 10k gold!

And someone then buys the item off AH and I log off.

Is this banable or considererd scamming?
    Its called "marketing" if such thing was scamming half of modern industries would be in jail.
    Well, the people responsible for them ofc, kinda hard to jail a concept.

in the game it might be frown upon but would need someone to report you, i highly doubt GMs have nothing better to do than monitor if you are doing that unless someone reports, and how would someone report if you are using different chars, they are none the wiser.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-05 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    And someone could use wowprogress to check who the alt belongs to.

For example, these are all of your alts apparently.

Sicktrickx, Komnar, Fireheart, Kyndreia, Kaliteia, Blazeweaver, Tayanu, Dreodoom
    Outdated :P

I have racechanged/namechanged most of my alts months ago..

Im not gonna attempt this trick because I dont want to bring my guild bad reputation, however I taught the trick to my IRL friend whos in need of gold.

Deleted
    Outdated :P

I have racechanged/namechanged most of my alts months ago..

Im not gonna attempt this trick because I dont want to bring my guild bad reputation, however I taught the trick to my IRL friend whos in need of gold.
    You brag about not having any empathy?
    It sound like you're proud of what you do.
    Just because you can get away with something dosent mean it is morally ok.
    Have some dignity please.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with what you are doing, but I don't think it's bannable.
    Currently Procrastinating

By definition, a scam is a "confidence trick."

The OP is tricking somebody into confidently believing they will make a profit from their actions, when in fact, they will not.

This is 100% scam, by definition.

However, i think this is stupid to be a bannable offence. Morally it is wrong, but you gotta be some kind of derpty to fall for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would argue that the person he is "scamming" is trying to "scam" him by buying a lower priced item just to sell it too him for much more money

however i dont think this is a scam, but its pretty clever
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    who is stupid enough to fall for that?

Imo it's not a scam. Go for it and if someone is stupid enough to fall for it they shouldn't miss that gold anyway : /

No its not a scam. Not unless you promised that person you will buy it from him. I can say WTB <insert name of the mount here> for 200k gold, in not obligated to buy it I im just Want to Buy that item, i never said i have money, never agreed to that person who has it or who bought it from AH. So no its not a scam...

Deleted
    I have been warned from GM's for doing something similar but that was under special circumstances. I think your safe.

Deleted
    This is one of those things that could fly under the radar, but does not have to.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Not even remotely close to a scam.
    well, by definition, that is what a scam is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Say I post an item from an alt for 7k gold and its really just worth 3k, and I say in trade WTB "THIS ITEM" for 10k gold!

And someone then buys the item off AH and I log off.

Is this banable or considererd scamming?
    Not bannable. Scam? Yes in that you are making a claim which you have no intention of fulfilling thus depriving someone of their resources. Congratulations on your aspirations.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Lol...I did something similar back in Wrath. I logged into a second account, and on my main account, I posted an item to sell in trade for 'best offer'. As soon as someone started to bid, I'd use my second account to inflate the price. If my second account ended up winning because nobody else would outbid after a certain point, I'd whisper the last bidder and tell them the winner logged off or something :-) I sold so many things that way.

Is it scamming? Sure. If nobody finds out, or hell, even if they do, who cares? It isn't anything blizzard is going to cry over. It isn't the sort of scamming they're interested in. You aren't stealing anything from them; they give you gold, you give them the item(s). While they may have paid an inflated price for it, it still isn't considered stealing.
    That's sad you would do that.